How to thank a letter writer????

Started by superspec
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

superspec

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
Curious how you guys were thanking your LOR writers. So far I've just sent thank you cards, but do you think something more is acceptable/recommended??? I sort of feeling like anything more might look like brown nosing, but I would like to hear what you all are doing.😳
 
I was just going to write a nice thank you note... but all of mine are faculty who sign up to work with the students as part of their job.
 
Well, thats my situation too, and I was just going to write a nice thank you. BUT, two of my friends (one ortho, one peds) are giving presents(and their letter writers are faculty as well)....which I think is a little crazy but then I wondered if I was the one missing the boat.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Presents eh? A little much, unless you're really close with the letter-writer. I went for thank you notes . . . and more than just saying thanks, I tried to be really sincere about my intentions for ob/gyn residency training and how they helped me on my way to those goals. A thank you note can be as personal as you want it to be.
 
I gave boxes of chocolates. Little tiny 2-chocolate packages for impersonal letter like chairman's letter, mid-sized box of godiva for letter writers i felt close to. I genuinely like giving gifts to people who have done me a favor (which writing a letter is), and it's not sucking up or bribery because they've already written and submitted the letter.
 
I was going to write thank you notes and maybe little gifts after I match so I can thank them and let them know where I ended up at the same time.
 
I like that idea bellalou. Also removes any of the weird kissing up vibe.
 
Just write a simple, confident thank you letter. chocolates and gifts are for people who may not be strong candidates. keep it simple and less "douchebaggy".