• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

How to use MDapps

philosonista

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi, SDN --

I often hear people say MDapps has been helpful to them. But I can't seem to understand why. Is it supposed to give you a sense of what kind of profile makes it into what "tier" school? I find that hard to get from the website given how incomplete many people's profiles are. Maybe I just don't understand how best to use the search function.

Please fill me in. What is so fantastic about MDapps?

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
    Volunteer Staff
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    May 22, 2008
    Deep in the heart of Texas
    1. Attending Physician
      For those looking for guidance on what a "good applicant" looks like, it can be helpful. It's not the sort of thing that you should use with the hopes of replicating someone else's application cycle and hoping for the same results. But if you're the kind of person that's interested in going to a top school and want to know "what it takes" based on a small sample size, it can be helpful. For those people who know next to nothing about medical admissions, it can provide some insight into what you should be thinking about if you want to be a competitive applicant.

That said, there are plenty of people who are incredible applicants who have never looked at MDApps (or SDN for that matter). When I was a pre-med, I used it as a way to both remain motivated and to get a sense of the kinds of things I should be doing if I wanted to be a competitive applicant.

NonTrad16

5+ Year Member
      Feb 2, 2015
      1. Medical Student
        There are many incomplete profiles, but also a few that provide a lot of info. I haven't applied, but if I see someone that applied and got into school X (on my list), and also school Y that's not, it brings up another to consider. There could be many reasons Y doesn't make sense (state, mission, etc) but it could also be one I missed.

In my canvassing I built up a big list of "possible" school based on gpa, state, views on graduate work, etc. From there I can narrow it once I have an MCAT. MDapps has just helped me find a school or two I wouldn't have considered, and also helped reinforce how difficult (many rejections), and random the application process (from a numbers standpoint) can be.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
        Volunteer Staff
        Lifetime Donor
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        May 22, 2008
        Deep in the heart of Texas
        1. Attending Physician
          I never bought into MDApps at all. In retrospect, I would say it's nigh impossible to predict how things will turn out for any applicant, unless they are soooo low on the totem that it's obvious.

I think the main issues are that 1) you have no idea how truthful the individual profiles are and 2) some people leave them so vague as to be completely useless. I personally included as much information as possible in my profile to make it "useful" to those who might see it later on. I'd agree that its utility is limited, but for the more neurotic among us or those looking for more specific guidance, it can be somewhat informative.

Reactions: 1 user
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.