How to use mirror and drill at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BialyNiedzwiedz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a patient - a girl - and I have a huge problem with drilling and looking at the mirror at the same time, because her mouth was that small (and she wasn't helping me either). I was forced to use mirror or drill, because there were no space for both of them.

What should I do in that kind of situation?
Is there any trick that I can do to manage this kind of situation? Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Sedation possibly necessary. Visualization is key - drilling blind usually is a big no no.

The mirror works out of the mouth too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a patient - a girl - and I have a huge problem with drilling and looking at the mirror at the same time, because her mouth was that small (and she wasn't helping me either). I was forced to use mirror or drill, because there were no space for both of them.

What should I do in that kind of situation?
Is there any trick that I can do to manage this kind of situation? Any tips?

Wedge a bite block in there!

And don't forget to tie floss to it!

And try to get use to this, maybe stand up and work at a different angle if allowable.

Why would you tie floss on the bite block?

If you say "so the pt doesn't swallow it", please provide source of where someone has aspirated or swallowed a bite block.

Why would you tie floss on the bite block?

If you say "so the pt doesn't swallow it", please provide source of where someone has aspirated or swallowed a bite block.

, there is usually a small circular hole within the biteblock. Put a floss in there and knot it.

Why be risky.

Go find a reference yourself.

Lazy, non-safe dentist.

I've never heard of a bite block being swallowed. Not that this couldn't happen though. Floss is a good idea but its time consuming, let the assistant do it and save yourself the hassle.

Each person have their own way.

Not all mouths are the same size.

Not all mirrors sold in the market are the same size.

Always put floss through bite block or rubber dam clamp. Have not seen it, but one assistant told me that ones clamp broke in two pieces and patient swallowed both of those and then vomited all that back. Everyone had lots of fun.
Seriously, google swallowed or aspirated items

Clamps are one thing, but I've never seen a prop/block ligated. I realize that's what the hole is for, I've just not seen it done. Maybe tomorrow.

Generally people prefer child sized prop, I mean patients. Dentist prefers to stuff something much bigger, preferably not to have any cheeks, tongue or salivary glands. So, it is possible to swallow a prop or choke on it. In Dental assistant textbooks it says to put floss on it. You do not tie a knot, just make double length of floss and make a loop, then put ends through the hole and a loop. Wrap ends around RD frame

I've never heard of a bite block being swallowed. Not that this couldn't happen though. Floss is a good idea but its time consuming, let the assistant do it and save yourself the hassle.
Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it never happened. One of my professors recently showed us a radiograph of a case he personally witnessed in CA. A young dentist did not properly screw on his high speed hand piece...

The patient managed to swallow it.

Reactions: 1 user