How to word update letter telling WL schools I have a time sensitive scholarship offer from another school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredcurved

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So got the great news about my scholarship today, but the school said I have to tell accept by May 23rd at the latest. I've done some cost analysis and found out I can still save money by going to the school in my hometown and living with my parents. I want to write a letter to that school telling them I got the scholarship and the time sensitive nature of it to see if it could help with the waitlist movement. Please let me know best way to work this in an update letter, thanks!

I've already sent a letter of intent in the past stating why it's my top school and all, I just need to share this new info.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is nothing that a school can do to make a waitlist move. The waitlist moves only if an opening presents itself because the class was enrolled at capacity (not over capacity) and someone then declines the offer. When that happens is unpredictable and may not happen at all.

This week, most schools are just waiting for enough people to turn them down such at they end up at capacity and not over.

How much you want to go does not matter unless they have an empty seat and even then they may place their own priorities over your preferences.

Don't waste your time asking a school to hurry up with some waitlist action. It is a waste of everyone's time.

Reactions: 5 users
There is nothing that a school can do to make a waitlist move. The waitlist moves only if an opening presents itself because the class was enrolled at capacity (not over capacity) and someone then declines the offer. When that happens is unpredictable and may not happen at all.

This week, most schools are just waiting for enough people to turn them down such at they end up at capacity and not over.

How much you want to go does not matter unless they have an empty seat and even then they may place their own priorities over your preferences.

Don't waste your time asking a school to hurry up with some waitlist action. It is a waste of everyone's time.
So it’s not worth mentioning my scholarship in general?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

The general view is that some schools will not send an offer to students who have already been accepted/committed elsewhere. it creates competition/delays too late in the cycle that overcomplicates their decision timeline. This is not always true though.

Reactions: 1 users
Why should the medical school that put you on its waitlist care that you are under time pressure from another school to respond to a scholarship offer?

Why would that information be of any use to them?

When you make a decision that you can't reverse, whether it is accepting a scholarship or signing a lease, withdraw from the schools that have you on their waitlist. Other than that, there is nothing you can say or do that is going to open up a spot on a school's roster or make a school want to choose you for anything other than their own priorities.

Reactions: 4 users
Tell your top choice you’d rather go their school (LOI). In my experience, these don’t really work but at least you’ve done everything that you could.

If they don’t bite, move on and take the scholarship.

Tell your top choice you’d rather go their school (LOI). In my experience, these don’t really work but at least you’ve done everything that you could.

If they don’t bite, move on and take the scholarship.
This^^^^^. You've already sent a letter of intent.

The fact that you have a scholarship is irrelevant, unless you are going to also ask them to match. You've already told them you will drop everything and come if accepted.

The only new information is that you will no longer be available after 5/22. Mentioning the scholarship will only encourage them to not bother with you. If you still really want the A, yes, tell them about your new deadline. After that, you've done everything you could - intent and date you will withdraw. The ball will then truly be in their court, as though it hasn't been all along!

No, in fact, it will be counterproductive. Mentioning the scholarship will imply you expect money. Just mention the deadline. It's the only thing that is relevant, since you have already indicated intent.

Reactions: 4 users
No, in fact, it will be counterproductive. Mentioning the scholarship will imply you expect money. Just mention the deadline. It's the only thing that is relevant, since you have already indicated intent.
So how would you recommend wording the deadline without sounding pushy or like I’m rubbing the scholarship in their face? Something along the lines of “I’ve gotten this scholarship and the deadline to commit is 5/23, you’re still my top choice and I really want to go to your school however this deadline will lead me to committing me that date.” And of course adding how thankful I am for their continued work and that I understand if it’s not possible to work with the timeline etc.

Why should the medical school that put you on its waitlist care that you are under time pressure from another school to respond to a scholarship offer?

Why would that information be of any use to them?

When you make a decision that you can't reverse, whether it is accepting a scholarship or signing a lease, withdraw from the schools that have you on their waitlist. Other than that, there is nothing you can say or do that is going to open up a spot on a school's roster or make a school want to choose you for anything other than their own priorities.
Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it! LizzyM always has a great way of helping one humbling themself 😅

So how would you recommend wording the deadline without sounding pushy or like I’m rubbing the scholarship in their face? Something along the lines of “I’ve gotten this scholarship and the deadline to commit is 5/23, you’re still my top choice and I really want to go to your school however this deadline will lead me to committing me that date.” And of course adding how thankful I am for their continued work and that I understand if it’s not possible to work with the timeline etc.
Nope. No mention of the scholarship at all, because it won't help you, unless you will now also be asking for money. Just reiterate your intent and let them know that you have a commitment date elsewhere of 5/23 if they cannot get back to you before then.

I'd add that sometimes it hurts to have to turn down a very good applicant due to lack of space. Knowing that the applicant has gotten in somewhere (and with a scholarship!) makes it sting a little less. But makes it no less, and no more, likely that the applicant will get pulled from the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users