Should I update about parent's death in update letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qetuowryip

Reaction score
My father's illness was a huge part of my personal statement and my "why". I made it clear in my personal statement that he would pass soon. He passed this past week and I also wanted to send update letters to schools. Before he died, I took care of him in the hospital/ICU for about a month everyday. Is this something significant enough to include in an update letter with other updates?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I am so sorry for your loss. May your Dad's memory be a blessing. Although losing a parent is often an exceptionally devastating experience and your Dad's illness is a big reason you chose medicine, it does not seem like something that will move the needle--or that is particularly relevant--to you admission to medical school.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Very sorry for your loss as well. I agree, I don't think this is something that would be appropriate for you to share in an update letter for professional school.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above. If you have already addressed it with your personal statement making it clear that he would pass soon, I don't think that specifically mentioning his passing in an update letter would help you in admissions. Update letters serve to let medical schools know what you have been doing since your application to strengthen your application, so maybe the time spent in the hospital helping your father could be briefly addressed, as everyday for a month is a significant amount of time. So sorry for your loss. Sending you deep condolences and well wishes with your application. Take care of your own health too OP!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
My condolences to you and your family on this loss.

If you are updating pre-II, I don't think this will move the needle. We don't have your WAMC profile, so it's folly for me to presume anything about the status of your application.

If you are updating post-interview, I also don't think this will move the needle either. Worst impression, you could be accused of trying to manipulate an adcom vote for an A through sympathy, and that may make giving you an A less likely. Not everyone takes the same amount of time to grieve, and some faculty may feel it's probably not going to help you as a student if you don't have your full immediate grieving experience completed before the challenges of going through M1. Who knows if anything taught would trigger you back.

Reactions: 7 users