How to write a LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comedianintraining

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a shocking turn of events, I got an interview invite to my top choice school on Sunday and I interviewed there yesterday! I LOVE the school, and they expressed that if we are really interested in matriculating there that we should feel free to write to the admissions office about it, which I assume is code for "send a letter of intent." I don't have any connections to anyone who has applied to med school who could guide me through that, so I'm just googling samples and hoping for the best, but would anyone have any advice or tips to offer for things to say and not to say? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Keep it short and sweet - brevity is key. Name two or three things you actually like about the school, thank them for their time, and make it clear you'll matriculate.

I had a very succinct LOI composed of two paragraphs, one of which included an update (publication). This worked well for me
Thank you!!

Anyone have advice for who I should address a LOI to? The admissions committee generally? The dean of admissions?