How to write a personal statement for prestigious internships and get accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorrr-t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I'm currently applying to internships and other programs that all consist of a personal statement or some other type of essay prompt. They're all mostly about my interests in research, my goals, and how that specific program will help me reach these goals, etc etc. As a first year student in college, I'm basically new to writing these sorts of essays and I'm not sure where to start. What type of writing/format of writing is it supposed to be? Do I write it using direct language that directly feeds them the information or do I write it in a descriptive style of writing similar to the way I wrote my college acceptance essays? Any tips would be much appreciated from those that have gained acceptances to such prestigious programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd suggest being straight forward. Do read about the specific program and what they are looking for/offering and tailor your essay to that organization and its program's mission.

Use your everyday language and don't write as if you've swallowed a thesaurus. The people reading these are looking for someone who knows what they want (your goals), has the basic background necessary to succeed in the program (your background), and knows why the program will help to meet their needs (what you know about the program and how the skills and experience they're offering you matches your goals). You can say that without getting fancy.

Reactions: 4 users
I'd suggest being straight forward. Do read about the specific program and what they are looking for/offering and tailor your essay to that organization and its program's mission.

Use your everyday language and don't write as if you've swallowed a thesaurus. The people reading these are looking for someone who knows what they want (your goals), has the basic background necessary to succeed in the program (your background), and knows why the program will help to meet their needs (what you know about the program and how the skills and experience they're offering you matches your goals). You can say that without getting fancy.

:claps::rofl: