How to write chemical reactions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Somehow I have made it through chemistry without learning "complicated" reactions. For example, I am going through TBR's Acid and Base chapter. They give an example that shows H2SO4 (aq) + Ca(OH)2 (aq) ---> Ca+2 (aq) + SO4^2- (aq) + 2H2O (aq)... If I were given the reactants, I would be unable to produce the products, because I would have written some crazy equation. Are there any videos that explain how to do this? I can do most double/single replacement problems, but anything that requires multiple-steps, I do poorly.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure you could've figured out the products! You got it. You're playing with a strong base and a strong acid, which means they dissociate into their components. Ca(OH)2 becomes Ca2+ ion and 2 OH-, while H2SO4 will break into HSO4- and H+ (only the first proton is strong). After writing that product ( Ca2+ + 2OH- + HSO4- + H+) you'll remember that hydroxide ions and protons cannot live together in the same environment, and therefore, the second proton must be pulled off HSO4- to make H2O molecules. (Not the best way of thinking about it because it's not exactly correct; balancing properly would be easier to see).

If you want videos, Khan Academy has plenty of balancing videos and practice questions too! Good luck!