How to write your own plan tailored to you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSurgical

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, I took the MCAT last August but I ultimately voided it. I was half asleep for the CARS section and I marked about 25 Q's during the Bio/Bchem section, which was hard as hell for me. I graduated and will be working part time doing research at my state's medical school (er, one of.)

I used mcatjelly's study plan (because it was the only one out there for SDN at the time) but it didn't really tailor to me. I have a lot of time and I am in no rush to take the MCAT (though I'd love to apply next cycle.) My goal is a 516 even and I don't know how to tackle making my own study schedule that would fit me best. I would obviously know what hours I feel best to study, how I learn, etc. But I don't know how to translate that into a set schedule and what materials I would need to buy.

So far, I have TBR (2012) and Kaplan/EK sets for 2015 (written in 2014 however.) Should I save up for NS, GS, TPR, etc?

Thanks everyone for your help. I hope I only have to take the MCAT once and be done with it. Not like I have to take other board exams in medical school, right? :unsure:

EDIT: Also, how far do I spread FLs? When do I take testing company tests and when do I take AAMC test(s)? When I took the test, there was only one out and I didn't have the funds to buy it (I was an idiot that underestimated the test....)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you liked mcatjelly's plan of attack then just spread it out over time. I personally like her and SNed plans bit I am a very slow reader and I read for depth comprehension. So while I would love to be able to do 1-2 chapters a day plus questions and plus verbal passasges. It's not feasible for me. So I'm moving through the plan with some changes in books used but mostly stretching out 1 day for 2 days. And I do 6-10hrs a day.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Your questions all depend on a 1 month or 3 month etc time schedule. I always recommend that the AAMC Scored 1 FL be the last FL you take. Sample can be taken 2-4 weeks sooner if you really need to see how you are doing. Examkracker and Next step are the best tests. I'd recommend EK 1-4 over NS if you are doing 5-8 tests. If you plan on doing a ton though I'd get NS, more bang for your buck. I had the Kaplan/EK sets and they would be enough. Just use this to supplement your P/S and This link for Biochemistry if you don't find Kaplan/EK sufficient.
http://50.30.47.15/Ebook/Course_SUST_BMB/BMB_121/Lehninger_Principles_of_Biochemistry.pdf

Attachments

• KA Notes.docx
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
Hey SDN, I took the MCAT last August but I ultimately voided it. I was half asleep for the CARS section and I marked about 25 Q's during the Bio/Bchem section, which was hard as hell for me. I graduated and will be working part time doing research at my state's medical school (er, one of.)

I used mcatjelly's study plan (because it was the only one out there for SDN at the time) but it didn't really tailor to me. I have a lot of time and I am in no rush to take the MCAT (though I'd love to apply next cycle.) My goal is a 516 even and I don't know how to tackle making my own study schedule that would fit me best. I would obviously know what hours I feel best to study, how I learn, etc. But I don't know how to translate that into a set schedule and what materials I would need to buy.

So far, I have TBR (2012) and Kaplan/EK sets for 2015 (written in 2014 however.) Should I save up for NS, GS, TPR, etc?

Thanks everyone for your help. I hope I only have to take the MCAT once and be done with it. Not like I have to take other board exams in medical school, right? :unsure:

EDIT: Also, how far do I spread FLs? When do I take testing company tests and when do I take AAMC test(s)? When I took the test, there was only one out and I didn't have the funds to buy it (I was an idiot that underestimated the test....)
How did the study schedule work out? Were you able to build one around the books you chose? How was your real MCAT?