How to you become a vet tech?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrenchieLover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a second year student and I have no hours what so ever. What/How can I go about becoming a vet tech? So many people advice on becoming one I just don't see how to go about doing this? Don't you need to take special classes? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be a second year student and I have no hours what so ever. What/How can I go about becoming a vet tech? So many people advice on becoming one I just don't see how to go about doing this? Don't you need to take special classes? Thanks!

It's very rare for a prevet student to start off as a vet tech. They are completely different careers, and it really isn't recommended to go through a vet tech program if your ultimate goal is to be a DVM.

That being said, I currently work as a vet tech. Licensing is not required in my state. I started off working as "kennel help" doing the grunt work. Moved up to assisting the vet and techs in appointments and with basic procedures, worked in the reception area, etc. After assisting for a while, I would get more and more responsibilities. It's been seven years now and I can do pretty much everything a regular tech does (except dentals, but I'm not a big fan of them anyway :) ).

As long as your experience is supervised by a vet, it doesnt matter if you work as a tech, assistant, kennel help, intern, or just shadow a few days a week. You can go about it whatever way works for you.

Depending on your state, don't expect to be able to do much of anything without a tech license. Also, expect to start at the bottom of the totem pole, even if you are "pre-vet."

I am assuming that your intention is to apply to veterinary school, as your status says "pre-veterinary".

If you are going down the pre-vet route, there are few reasons for you to become a licensed tech (I assume that is what you mean by 'special classes'-it is usually an associate's degree.). Depending on your level of education, it may take 2-4 years to be licensed. Nursing programs vary, but they are not going to be a substitute for your pre-req science classes. In fact, they are mostly going to sap up time and money while you could be concentrating on getting into vet school.

Now, depending on your state, you may not have to licensed. That said, if you don't have experience, most clinics are not going to hire you as a tech (at least not any that are worth their salt). You'll have to work your way up-which depending on your timeline, may not be possible to do.

But no worries! I doubt adcoms care very much whether you can place a catheter or know how to administer baytril. They want to see that you've shown interest in learning about veterinary medicine (i.e. it's not just playing with puppies and kittens all day) and that you get some variety of experience. So shadow a vet, or get a job as an assistant, both with small and large animals, if you can. Volunteer in a shelter. See if your school has any research opportunities available. You don't have to be a tech to gain veterinary experience.

I say all this as someone who is licensed, and did go to school for nursing. I am immensely grateful for the doors that my license has opened. However, if I had known five years ago that what I wanted to do was be a DVM and not an LVT, I would have gone a different route. C'est la vie.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very rare for a prevet student to start off as a vet tech. They are completely different careers, and it really isn't recommended to go through a vet tech program if your ultimate goal is to be a DVM.

I agree with cowgirla: don't worry about becoming a CVT(LVT,RVT, etc) if your end goal is veterinary school. Study hard in undergraduate to ensure you have a good GPA, take hard classes heavy in biology/animal science. I would also recommend taking a few courses in other fields, such as psychology, literature. A diverse education says a good deal about you.

I started off working as "kennel help" doing the grunt work.

As to getting a job as a vet tech, I was like cowgirla myself. I first started working as a receptionist. I worked in that position for 6 months before a technician spot became available. I also worked for a veterinary corporation. Check out the large companies: VCA, Banfield, etc. They often are willing to hire non-experienced workers and train them as opposed to pay a CVT to work for them (cheaper to train). I guess, in the end, be willing to do grunt work. If you do not have any animal experience, volunteer at a shelter for a few months before applying.

I am a "Veterinary technician" as a pre-vet student. I worked at a general practice (for wildlife/avian/exotic/small animal patients) and all during high school I cleaned cages, and gradually learned enough to become a technician. In the general practice, this is basically taking TPR's, minor phlebotomy skills, history taking, and the ability to advise clients over the phone/on husbandry of their animal/how to administer meds/etc.

When I came to UNH, I applied at the emergency centers nearby and got a job as a tech assistant at a large practice for small animals. It's amazing. However, the knowledge I had at the other place is nowhere near enough to be a technician at this emergency center, nor would I want that responsibility. I do not have the knowledge yet to suffice as a technician (although I can place IV catheters and have minor phlebotomy skills from the general practice). I feel as though I'm not always 100 percent sure of the why behind everything. Almost like I am simply going through the motions of being a technician. I always ask about everything though, and will say when I don't know. Because, well, I don't.

Basically, any entry level position will get you what you need for vet school. No, you do not have to be a veterinary technician.

I wouldn't insult the veterinary technicians (LVT's, RVT's, CRT's) and say that I am at all knowledgable to act as a certified technician. I did not go through the schooling for it. However, I've seen some people become absolutely amazing technicians without the schooling, and after being in practice for several years.

Start off in a kennel walking, feeding and bathing dogs and work your way up. I started walking dogs at a kennel when I was 16, then worked at a vet clinic as a kennel assistant my senior year of high school and then have been moving around to vet clinics ever since and eventually someone trusted me enough to let me stick the animals.

It really is that simple and that hard.

There are other options as well. I worked farms and zoos as an entry level and always volunteered to help the vets. Eventually, I earned a reputation for being the one that was reliable to come in at all hours to work with the vet...and then became employed by vets.

I received my A.A.S Veterinary Technology degree before going pre-vet. I work full time as a CVT and when it's time for me to put in my applications to vet school I'll have thousands of experience hours. It's not for everybody because it's extremely difficult to work 40+ hours a week while attending school full time! Not to mention my 4 year old daughter! :p I'm in Arkansas and we only have one accredited college for veterinary technology. A vet assistant will gain you the exact same experience, so I would try to find a job where you can do that so you avoid "wasting" 2 years towards a degree that won't count towards your road to your DVM. The told us in tech school that DVM versus technician is just 2 different directions, the reason I did it that way is because I have to work full time during school! Be careful you don't put "vet tech" on your applications unless you're certified. That is a real quick way to get someones panties in a twist! ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, I saw that! I just know a lot of people troll on here to get information. So if anyone had this question and was looking for answers, they would have another answer. :/ Sorry!

wait, you're a wildcat? did I know this? DO I KNOW YOU?!

Wait, really?! I thought I was the only one until I saw that old post! It is quite possible that we crossed paths, I was there 2007-2012 (and actually sitting in HoCo right now! :laugh: )

Wait, really?! I thought I was the only one until I saw that old post! It is quite possible that we crossed paths, I was there 2007-2012 (and actually sitting in HoCo right now! :laugh: )

I was there 2005- dec 2008 and then i worked locally until summer 2010. Small world. Good times!