How to you guys make yourself study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeNamath4Eva

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know i deserve to be flammed for this... like everyone asking subjective questions about studying and then getting "confused" when there are differing responses:laugh: but i get in these funks where i can't force myself to study...

does anybody have any advice for ppl like me who need a kick in the pants? (my mom is big into yoga and stuff- told me to say "be here now" to myself... buaahahahahaahahaha. no)

I'd apprish...

Members don't see this ad.

I am a very social person; therefore, many people I know and do not even know are aware of my quest. This puts social pressure on me to do well because everyone expects it. Plus, I actually enjoy the mental challenge. I like to challenge myself at the highest level. I took my competitive nature from sports to the classroom after high school. I do not compete against others so much unless they ask for it. I compete against the class. I believe I can make an A in any class when I feel like it and I enjoy the battle.

Also, I think it is good not to force studying. Try to set a certain amount of time aside a week for the MCAT and study when you feel like it. If you are in that bad of a spot, I would have someone probably your mom stay on you. I know I will do almost anything to get my mother to shut up and leave me alone!

starbucksIV.jpg

Coffee... Lots and lots of coffee. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I think it is good not to force studying. Try to set a certain amount of time aside a week for the MCAT and study when you feel like it.

Agreed. Take each day at a time. Accept that there are good days and bad days...even though medical school will not allow you that time.
Doing your best does not mean that you must overhaul it with studying....I know myself, for example, that there comes a point where you feel fried and need to pace things out a bit...

With a little time, things will come naturally to you---setting time aside, getting in the zone, etc. :luck: to you and try to pack in 3hrs a day or so, 5 days a week or something ----balanced------

study with the mindset that you have one shot, one opportunity, to seize everything that you've ever wanted, one moment.

so will you capture it, or let it slip?

check out my diary... actually it is everyone's diary... especially if you're using the EK version 6 books... that is what we are using and giving feedback and what not....

On a case by case basis:
I put myself in a position not to get distracted. Sorry, but when it comes to computers, I have a bad case of A.D.D. I'll study one minute and then want to jump on a website the next because I'm at home, at my computer and am the biggest procrastinator.

So...I go to school, go to the top floors of the library, find a study room, lock the door and get to cracking the books.

On a case by case basis:
I put myself in a position not to get distracted. Sorry, but when it comes to computers, I have a bad case of A.D.D. I'll study one minute and then want to jump on a website the next because I'm at home, at my computer and am the biggest procrastinator.

So...I go to school, go to the top floors of the library, find a study room, lock the door and get to cracking the books.

I'm the same way. Take this website for example. I have my kaplan book opened in front of my computer, but what am I doing? Having trouble studying because I'm reading threads about how people are having trouble studying... hehe

I make lists for my day or week, depending on what it is. I give myself some free time when I cross things off my list, and I get more free time if there are less things on my list.

For example, with the snow today I am off and have a lot of time to do stuff. I gave myself a break and slept in until 10:30 then took a shower. So today I have this list:

Formal Orgo lab report
Catch up on Orgo lab notebook
Read Ch. 11-12 Orgo
Physics HW 5
Finish EK 30-minute Bio exams (I have 2 left)
Review Bio topic notes.

This will keep me busy until bedtime, with breaks in between for food, bathroom, attention to my husband, etc.

If I actually had classes and worked today without being canceled by the snow, I would cut the list by 1/3. Saturdays are typically full-list days (8-10 tasks), Sundays half-list days (4-5).

My lists don't always consist of school/MCAT study either. I add my work tasks, errands, etc. on the lists too, because they would be neglected if I didn't!

It must work because my friends are always amazed how I can handle school, work, and MCAT study and still have time to talk/go for coffee/chat/etc. I'm also a good multitasker on the computer and can flit between programs such as this and work easily.

There is a simple program called "Stickies" that I downloaded that lets you create yellow "sticky notes" on your desktop of things to do.

I make lists for my day or week, depending on what it is. I give myself some free time when I cross things off my list, and I get more free time if there are less things on my list.

For example, with the snow today I am off and have a lot of time to do stuff. I gave myself a break and slept in until 10:30 then took a shower. So today I have this list:

Formal Orgo lab report
Catch up on Orgo lab notebook
Read Ch. 11-12 Orgo
Physics HW 5
Finish EK 30-minute Bio exams (I have 2 left)
Review Bio topic notes.

This will keep me busy until bedtime, with breaks in between for food, bathroom, attention to my husband, etc.

If I actually had classes and worked today without being canceled by the snow, I would cut the list by 1/3. Saturdays are typically full-list days (8-10 tasks), Sundays half-list days (4-5).

My lists don't always consist of school/MCAT study either. I add my work tasks, errands, etc. on the lists too, because they would be neglected if I didn't!

It must work because my friends are always amazed how I can handle school, work, and MCAT study and still have time to talk/go for coffee/chat/etc. I'm also a good multitasker on the computer and can flit between programs such as this and work easily.

There is a simple program called "Stickies" that I downloaded that lets you create yellow "sticky notes" on your desktop of things to do.

one must love the chicago weather:laugh:
classes were cancelled. I studied for my art history mid term next week and now i am ready for Prison Break. After that it's MCAT time. I need to finish on physics lecture 1 and bio lecture 2 today.

and to answear the Op's question...you just have to start. This is the hardest part, to sit down and open the book. I used to have this "book taming' period that was lasting deffinetly too long. Now i just wake up, make myself a cup of good green tea and study my brains off untill i cannot see letter anymore.
Once i start i am fine and acctually want to keep on going.
It is also good to make yourself a schedule and stick to it. It really helps a LOT.

I try the "this is all you've ever wanted and you have 60 more days to make it happeN" method everytime I get down.

I'm frustrated with my progress at times, but my super supportive bf and family make it much easier.

Take the princeton review. They make you study and do your HW or else they kick you out and keep you money. Jk but I think it helps to have a classroom setting.

There's also the fact that I have a 3 hour break between my classes on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, so I don't go back to my room, head off to the library, stay away from the computer, and I'm set. It's really hard not to study when everyone around you is....

I'm the same way. Take this website for example. I have my kaplan book opened in front of my computer, but what am I doing? Having trouble studying because I'm reading threads about how people are having trouble studying... hehe

Now that's Fe-y.
I mean...
Now that's Irony

but yeah, I have a laptop which is great for taking my Kaplan stuff online with the wireless connections on campus, but I also tend to develope A.D.D during these periods and just hop on websites, wasting huge amounts of time.