How true is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm1234

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear that what MD schools really care about is the MCAT and GPA, the rest of the application is really not that important. Numbers get you in. Schools want someone that can pass the boards.
DO schools care less about the MCAT and GPA and more about the rest of the application RELATIVE to MD schools.
How true is this?

Members don't see this ad.

Both are untrue, but the second is less untrue than the first.

pharm1234 said:
I hear that all MD schools really care about is the MCAT and GPA, the rest of the application is really not that important. Numbers get you in.
DO schools care less about the MCAT and GPA and more about the rest of the application RELATIVE to MD schools.
How true is this?

Not true.

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably aren't going to get anyone to agree with this position. So...I suggest asking the question this way:

Would you rather apply to medical school with a 4.0 GPA, 40+ MCAT, and very few ECs -OR- a 2.9 GPA, a 24 MCAT, and a bunch of ECs?

Personally, I gotta go with the 4.0. Just me.

The numbers get your application read: e.g. no one is going to spend much time on an application that is 2.8 17 M.

The PS, secondary, ECs and performance in key courses get you an interview (Two applicants with gpa of 3.5, one with C+/B- in O-Chem, the other with A-/A gotta go with the later). The LOR can rule you out of an interview but don't otherwise help (unless they explain something very, very interesting about your background that you were too modest to mention).

You are asked to interview if you "look good" on paper. The interview can push you to the top of the heap or send you down to "reject" hell. At that point, numbers don't matter too much (unless you are borderline and being interviewed to see if you are so impressive in person that your substandard gpa due to problems as a freshman should be overlooked).

DO schools seem to be more forgiving of poor grades/poor scores. However, they also have a lower proportion of students who pass the boards on the first try or on the second in comparision to MD students. Using gpa and MCAT as a first cut may be a wise move on the part of allopathic schools.