How vital is it taking two semesters of calculus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GregoryMD

EMT-B
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman at University of Arizona, and I'm trying to make a decision of how far in math I want to go. I took Calculus I at a community college the summer before I started university. I got my credits for it and all, but it was a five week summer course with a foreign professor who really only confused me more than helped me. It's a wonder how I managed an A in that class despite not feeling comfortable with pretty much any calc concepts (Aside from maybe basic differentiation).

This poses some trouble for me in regards toward Calculus II. U of A doesn't exactly have the best math department. I've heard some horror stories that you would not believe. I considered taking Calculus II over next summer again, but I'm weighing some other options.

Are there a lot of medical schools that require absolutely two semesters of calculus? Would it be a major disadvantage in getting a decent school if I stuck with just one semester of calculus? To satisfy my major's math requirement (I'm a Physiology major), I need Pre-Calc and Calc. Since I already have Calc done, I was considering just taking Pre-Calc or checking with my advisor toward seeing if I can substitute in Statistics instead (To meet Johns Hopkins math requirements).

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't take Calc 2, personally. I think Harvard is the only school that requires it, and very few schools require calc at all. Most want you to have a semester of calc OR stats. Stats is the easier and more useful course, but if you already have Calc 1 under your belt, you're good. I don't know of any schools besides Harvard that actually require calc, but I'm sure there are at least a few.

The quality of the department is irrelevant. Take the classes you need, and be done with it. As long as you have the right credits, you're fine.

WashU requires 2 semesters of calc, but you can sub in 1 semester of stats. Maybe some UCs require 2 semesters of calc...but that would be it. Calc I and a stats class should do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't take Calc 2, personally. I think Harvard is the only school that requires it, and very few schools require calc at all. Most want you to have a semester of calc OR stats. Stats is the easier and more useful course, but if you already have Calc 1 under your belt, you're good. I don't know of any schools besides Harvard that actually require calc, but I'm sure there are at least a few.

The quality of the department is irrelevant. Take the classes you need, and be done with it. As long as you have the right credits, you're fine.

I'm not worried about the quality of the education in the department. It's that the entire department is pretty much run by foreign TA's who speak little to no english. I just wouldn't want a class like Calc II to drop my GPA when my Calc I foundation was suspect at best.

It's good to know Harvard is one of the only schools that requires two semesters of calc. When I meet with my adviser soon I'll bring up the issue of substituting stats over pre-calc to meet my major's requirements, and that will give me a bit more leverage come application time.