How WAS match this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drfeelgood76

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...how competetive WAS anesthesia this year? I got my 4th pick. Decent board scores, LORs...just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

having interviewed at Penn/Columbia/Wash U/U of C with good lor and board scores?

what happened??

not that mcow is not a good choice, but not getting your top three.

What were your top 3?

More for future graduates and not to be too personal. What were your board score like???

Well, my board scores weren't stellar...I think 225, but above average. As for my other interviews, they went well. I don't know...I'm satisfied with MCW, but couldn't help but wonder. I've heard of people interview (although for surgery) at high powered places, and not even match! I've heard of an AOA not matching for OB-Gyn. Match is wierd!

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched at Penn with slightly above average grades, a decent amount of clinical research, and coming from Albert Einstein.

It seems to me that it's getting tougher for DOs and FMGs, but otherwise US MDs are still in very good shape. NYC and California have always been tough.... maybe even a little tougher this year. Cornell was particularly picky this year.... and the California guys had some outragious board scores (props guys!).

Just curious about the general vibe you got on interviews?

As I wrote before, the applications to Anesthia topped over the past 2-3 years. This year the actual number of applicants fell over 1% compared to last year, and the number of US allopathic grads fell over 3%. The number of US allopathic grads applying for Anesthia is the same number in 1990/1991.

There are more spots open today... many getting filled by foreign grads or DOs.

All numbers can be found here:
http://www.grogono.com/nrmp

The numbers show that anesthesia is actually less competetive. I think that the caliber of applicants is what is getting better per year, therefore making the competition for big name programs more intense. There are so many spots in anesthesia when you include all the small private hospitals that the chances of not matching anywhere are very slim. But I look at the match list from my school this year, and it's not as impressive as the last, which wasn't as impressive as the last, etc, whereas I know for certain that quality of the applicants has been about the same or maybe even slightly better.

voltron said:
The numbers show that anesthesia is actually less competetive. I think that the caliber of applicants is what is getting better per year, therefore making the competition for big name programs more intense. There are so many spots in anesthesia when you include all the small private hospitals that the chances of not matching anywhere are very slim. But I look at the match list from my school this year, and it's not as impressive as the last, which wasn't as impressive as the last, etc, whereas I know for certain that quality of the applicants has been about the same or maybe even slightly better.

So you're saying it's getting harder to match at the top programs but easier to match overall? I'd buy that.