How was the AAFP Conference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VuDOo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope everyone had a good time. I know I did the two years that I attended.

Did anyone go to any good restaurants on the residency's dime?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope everyone had a good time. I know I did the two years that I attended.

Did anyone go to any good restaurants on the residency's dime?

I am a first-time conference attendee, and I truly enjoyed myself. However, I am now a fourth year and I was also COMPLETELY overwhelmed by the exhibit hall. I truly wish that I would have had some prior experience with this conference so that I knew what to expect. I was able to go to a few of the workshops, which were pretty good (e.g., heart sounds, disaster medicine), but spent a majority of my time in the exhibit hall speaking with programs. It's a wonderful opportunity to be able to experience almost every FP residency program in America in a single room, and everyone was really friendly. I have come back confident about what I want to do now, and realize that the sky is the limit when it comes to family medicine.

My advice to anyone who is a rising first or second year is to get to this conference early so that you have an idea of what to expect so that you are able to enjoy and experience all that the conference has to offer.

As far as wonderful Kansas City, the PA Academy hosted an appetizer event at the Majestic Steakhouse, so I didn't get to have the wonderful steak that I had been hearing of. We went to one of the local rib joints, Arthur Bryant's, which was okay, I've also heard that Gates is good. We ventured down to the Plaza as well and went to an upscale-type sports bar, George Brett's, that had awesome food and desserts. And am I allowed to talk about the conference food itself... besides breakfast... it was a little bit rough, lol.

I'm looking forward to going back at some point to enjoy more of KC, but this trip was more dedicated to learning about residency programs as I'm preparing to apply. :)

Best,
H&T

I'm a 4th year and first-time attendee as well, let me echo the previous poster by saying I wish I had gone before and that I had arrived with a better game plan. Walking around and scoping things out was not an option; any program that saw someone walking around aimlessly sucked them in real fast.

But damn was it nice to 1) be surrounded by so many FP people (who were pretty cool, in general) and 2) be able to talk to the majority of the programs I'm interested in as well as some new ones. I feel like the conference really will allow me to pick some programs based on more than just what's on paper, meeting the handful of residents each program sent was an excellent way to gauge a good fit.

It'll be hard to narrow things down now. The only programs I didn't care for were the ones that bad mouthed the others without really telling me about themselves. I think my list is about 25 programs long right now...clearly I'll have to narrow that down. There are a couple of programs I'm really excited about and stoked to interview at in the fall. Overall an excellent few days!

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL!!!! Too funny!!! The closest I got to badmouthing, which really wasn't badmouthing, was talking to a resident from a tough program w/ really frequent call who basically said that she chose her program b/c other programs were too easy on residents and she wanted to come out wanting to handle as much as possible. I thought this was reasonable.

Frijolero, the one thing that I must say that I did do with hotel roomies each night before was look through the program and identify places where I knew I wanted to go. This generally minimized the ambush recruitment, but it did happen a few times. One time was a little pushy, with a woman standing directly in front of me and not moving until I walked over to the recruitment table! I also had one program almost chase me down when they saw I was from their home state, but I moved swiftly away. It's tough, but people do understand if you say I am not looking to go to Program X or move to Podunk. They're really also chasing you down because they need to take a list of names back to their school, so I'm sure part of it is quota gathering. With this, my list has probably grown by about 2-3 programs, but has also shrunk by that many, so I evened out.

I don't remember much of the dirt because I didn't pay close attention, I do remember one Utah program telling me another was in danger of closing down and an Indiana program that told me that residents who couldn't get into their program went to "another program" also in Indiana. That and a Texas program told me that Waco had really awful interns :laugh:.

I think the issue is that geographically I'm willing to go anywhere with full-scope training. When I finished talking to a program I sometimes asked the residents where else I should go and added some good programs to the list that way. Heal, your game plan sounds a lot better that mine, which consisted of avoiding eye contact if I was on a mission to a particular booth. Trouble is I never got home from dinner with programs before 9 or 10, was wiped out anyway, and just crawled onto my camp mat (don't tell the radisson) and crashed.

I'm stoked though, the conference gave me the enthusiasm boost I needed, and I'm actually happy that my list is too long. It sure beats the alternative. And Sophie, actually I really liked your program. I spoke with them early on and was impressed that they remembered me and said hello whenever I passed.

I don't remember much of the dirt because I didn't pay close attention, I do remember one Utah program telling me another was in danger of closing down and an Indiana program that told me that residents who couldn't get into their program went to "another program" also in Indiana. That and a Texas program told me that Waco had really awful interns :laugh:

Ha ha. Very funny.

Really?

;)

And Sophie, actually I really liked your program. I spoke with them early on and was impressed that they remembered me and said hello whenever I passed.

That's cause we da bomb. ;)

I had a great time. I spent some time representing my program, I also spent some time wandering the expo halls and in lectures. I really wish I had gone as a student, I don't think I would have ended up anywhere different, but I probably would have applied to fewer programs.

I'm currently a M1 and am interested in FM. Would it be beneficial for me to go summer 2008 or should I wait until I am further along in school?

Well, it can't hurt. I think you'd have a good time regardless. Just be prepared for "the look" when people ask your year and you tell them M2.

Well, it can't hurt. I think you'd have a good time regardless. Just be prepared for "the look" when people ask your year and you tell them M2.

We had several M1/M2 students come by our booth. I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. It's good to show interest early. The students should understand that they are likely to change their mind at some point.

I'm currently a M1 and am interested in FM. Would it be beneficial for me to go summer 2008 or should I wait until I am further along in school?

I went during M1 (by myself) and enjoyed it as a good way to consider FM and get an idea of the personalities. I think i would have to go during 4th year again after I know what I want.

get involved in your FM ingeterest groups there, that's a good start if you can't go to the conference