How was your First IPPE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butterfly750

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI Everyone :)

What are your advice/tips for your first Community IPPE? What can you expect as a whole?

I am curious how significant previous pharmacy experience plays a role during your first IPPE.

Thank You! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

They showed me where the pills were and I spent a lot of time counting them.

Reactions: 3 users
Do everything your preceptor asks you to do. If you want brownie points, ask them for more work after you're done. Also your preceptor can potentially make or break your IPPE. Lastly, please don't expect to learn retail in 60 hours or however much you're required to go there for during the semester.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First IPPE was at an independent that specialized in HIV. First thing they told me was to unlearn that bs they teach you in chain pharmacy and to be more relaxed in the work environment. Plus they had me and another student during the IPPE in the same month so they had one of us come from 930-130 and the other one from 130-530. It was pretty sweet, especially since it was in June. I got scared ****less one time because the practice experience director called me on my cell phone one day as I was driving across the bridge. I was able to bs that I was driving around making deliveries for the pharmacy :D

Reactions: 1 user
First IPPE was an eye opening experience as I didn't have any pharmacy experience. My preceptor was really nice and tried to explain most of what she was doing but since it was a very busy store I spent most of my time filling and dispensing medications. I also got the opportunity to do some intern tasks like taking prescriptions over the phone and the last few days she allowed me to look at the OTC medications and take notes which really helped for my OTC class

Make sure you're doing what you're supposed to do, even if you're working with your preceptor's partner. Technicians are snitches.

Did nothing but HRT and loved it, ended up getting hired at the end.

I counted pills, worked a register and gave a few flu shots. I was only a P1, so there wasn't much beyond that that I could do at the time.

I spent most of my time filling. Because the pharmacy was so busy, I counseled a lot even though I just finished P1 and barely knew anything about the drugs. I would pretty much just read off the package inserts.