How Well Do We Need To Know the Metabolic Pathways?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know this has been addressed before but I was hoping if we could receive more feedback also from the more recent MCATers.

How well do we need to know these metabolic pathways: Glycolysis, Krebs, ETC, Gluconeogenesis, Glycogenesis, Glycogenolysis, Beta-Oxidation, FA synthesis, PPP, etc. ? Are we expected to know all of the enzymes, all of the substrates, all of the intermediates, or should we focus on knowing the concept behind the metabolism, major steps, major enzymes (i.e. irreversible ones), major products?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Know the key points. Which steps are commitment/irreversible steps. What types of enzymes do what (phosphatase, kinase, decarboxylase, etc). Know how the ATP is produced, what quantity, and how the gradient contributes to producing ATP. Know unique components; such as NADPH and NADP+ are most notorious for their abundance in the PPP. Just the big picture. You don't need to worry about the structures of succinate or anything of that sort in the pathways.

I would say know them to the point you could easily reproduce them with just a paper and pencil. They are unlikely to ask structure questions, but they can. Remembering intermediates and a little organic chemistry can save you on questions like those. I would not devote much time to the structures themselves because some critical thinking can usually lead you to the right answer without having to memorize them. The names, energy products consumed/formed and overall reaction are necessary information.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the main thing to focus on is the regulatory mechanisms. Why would the body stimulate gluconeogenesis? What are the key regulatory enzymes of glycolysis and why? Which metabolic pathway(s) will be most active in a person who has not eaten for 24 hours?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks!

Do you guys think the relevant chapters in TBR Bio is going be fine for reviewing these topics? I also have the Kaplan Biochem book.