Medical How will getting a C in a lab I failed once affect me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a V-shaped grade trend and did really badly my sophomore year from terribly controlled epilepsy. (Had to go off Depakote that was working for me before because of liver side effects and then Keppra was just not happening regardless of how much I was really trying to force it.)

I failed a Chemistry class and lab that sophomore year in addition to a whole slew of C's and D's. I missed the finals because I had a disaster, causing me to fail the classes.

I am currently retaking the class. I am doing reinvention and it was going well until today. :( I'm a second-semester senior and my junior GPA was 3.7 and my senior GPA is the same.

I took the final this morning (again, currently retaking). I didn't do as well on the final this time as I thought I would mostly because I have another newly diagnosed health problem I haven't gotten control of yet - causing my studying this weekend to be minimally effective due to severe pain making it near-impossible to concentrate - and my final grade in the class is a 79%, causing my B to go down to a C. :( It's a 1-credit class and I am getting an A in the lecture portion and A's in all of my other classes, so it doesn't make a difference for my GPA. I have just heard that ADCOMs look at transcripts really closely especially in the event of reinvention and one C in a class I once failed is going to kill me.

I think this is a catastrophe but I don't know if it's a career-ending catastrophe. I am really upset right now, so please be gentle.
Very sorry to hear of your troubles.

It's not a career ender, it's just a lab!

Important to do better in your remaining courses.

For the courses you got D's in, ask your Registrar if you can do a retroactive withdrawal. This is indeed a thing at some schools. The worst they'll tell you is "no".

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with @Goro , this specific grade isn't going to be a killer. However, definitely do explore retroactive withdrawal.

And as a general principle, you can't control your health but you need to figure out how to react to health problems. Simply trying to pull yourself up by your bootstraps is a recipe for failure--if something unexpected comes up, you need to ask for help rather than trying to soldier on and get a low grade. It's much easier to ask for help before you get the low grade.

I'd like to follow up on my wise colleagues comments with this observation. Trying to bulldoze your way through when you are not at your best brings your judgment into question.
So in the future, make better choices

Agree with trying to get retroactive withdrawal. Can never hurt to ask. I did this for two courses when I was premed.

Trying to muscle through courses when your health isn't at its best is a good way to bury yourself and can be counterproductive. You need to take care of YOURSELF first...and the grades will follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.