How will School prestige play in residency going forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sag21

Reaction score
Hi all
With Step1 going Pass/Fail would school prestige count into landing in a competitive residency down the road? I have decent stats but I am not sure if it is worth wasting another year and waiting to get into a T20 college with no guarantees. Also I have heard people taking gap years during or after MD program, would that increase chances for better match?
Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Hi again,
Backing up a bit, so you haven't decided on BS/MD vs. holding out for a T20?

I think landing a competitive residency depends on a ton of things, most importantly what you want to do based on the clinical experiences you have had. I'm sure there are some relationships between clinical sites and the medical schools that support them, but those are bonuses to doing well in your rotations.

Gap/growth years before MD is common. I'm not sure about gap years after MD if you want to match to a competitive residency.

I'll let others who have more insight on residency selection comment further, but I think you're putting the cart before the horse.

Reactions: 1 users
School prestige has always counted for something in the residency selection process. How much it matters for any given candidate applying to any given program is anyone's guess.

Step 1 has been essentially replaced by Step 2 as a screening tool for residency programs, but the big wild card now is the proliferation of preference-signaling. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Some students do take a planned gap year in medical school, often to do research in a highly competitive field. That can very much work out in their favor. Taking a gap year after medical school is a uniformly bad idea.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can worry about this if you are blessed with multiple acceptances. The application process is competitive to the point of feeling like a crap shoot, so all you can do at this point is build the strongest application possible. If you have a solid application already then by all means apply, but an extra year is not a waste if it gives you real-world experiences that not only enhance your application, but your personal growth.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi again,
Backing up a bit, so you haven't decided on BS/MD vs. holding out for a T20?

I think landing a competitive residency depends on a ton of things, most importantly what you want to do based on the clinical experiences you have had. I'm sure there are some relationships between clinical sites and the medical schools that support them, but those are bonuses to doing well in your rotations.

Gap/growth years before MD is common. I'm not sure about gap years after MD if you want to match to a competitive residency.

I'll let others who have more insight on residency selection comment further, but I think you're putting the cart before the horse.
Most likely taking the BSMD route, hence the question

School prestige has always counted for something in the residency selection process. How much it matters for any given candidate applying to any given program is anyone's guess.

Step 1 has been essentially replaced by Step 2 as a screening tool for residency programs, but the big wild card now is the proliferation of preference-signaling. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Some students do take a planned gap year in medical school, often to do research in a highly competitive field. That can very much work out in their favor. Taking a gap year after medical school is a uniformly bad idea.
I am doing research now working towards thesis, I know I am jumping the gun here; but any suggestions how to plan my Med school to land a competitive residency?

You can look up stuff on here dude. Amazing step 2, AOA, lots of pubs, excellent letters from academic powerhouses in your competitive field, etc......

The game hasn't changed that much. Step 2 is just the new step 1 (so I've been told). And it really is just a game to get the most pubs/highest scores. Of course I want to do FM so none of this really affects me.

Of course you'll have an easier time doing research and networking at Harvard than at my "mid-tier" school. But you should probably focus on getting into medical school. Nothing wrong with shooting for T20, but tons of high stats people get rejected from those places.

Reactions: 2 users