WAMC/School list/Going Forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbh87654

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first time applying and I have not received any interviews thus far. I am at a crossroad because I don't know if I should reapply next cycle or take an additional year, as my application has not changed much during my senior year of undergrad. I know that my biggest weakness is likely my lack of clinical hours and, although I will accumulate ~50-100 hrs before I would reapply, I don't know if that will be enough. I would appreciate any feedback on school list and how to improve my application, as well as advice on taking an additional gap year.

1.) cGPA: 3.81; sGPA: 3.75
2.) MCAT: 514; CHE/PHY: 126; CARS: 127; BIO/BCH: 130; PSY/SOC: 131
3.) Minnesota resident
4.) White male
6.) No clinical experience on AMCAS, currently volunteer at hospice center 4hrs/week.
7.) 240 hrs shadowing (Ortho, Cardiology, Ophthalmology)
8.) 120 service hours in Costa Rica, 60 hrs through fraternity philanthropy, 20 hrs through pre-med club.
9.) Learning assistant (5 semesters), learning assistant mentor (club president), served as secretary of fraternity, recruitment chair of fraternity, credit union job, medical device company summer internship, research project (no pub, presented poster at convention)
10.) IA (drinking violation as freshman)
11.) School list (only applied MD): TCU, Emory, Georgetown, Loyola Chicago, Uni of Minnesota, Uni of Wisco (madison), Albany, Dartmouth, Indiana Uni, Med college of Wisco (Milwaukee), Temple, Tulane, Wake forest, Tufts, Creighton, Drexel, Penn State, Geisinger, Rush.

I started sending update letters to medical schools to inform them of my recently acquired clinical volunteering, but am unsure if it will impact my chances in any way. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

It is your complete lack of clinical volunteering/employment and limited non clinical volunteering (in the USA) that is the reason you have not received any interviews. Loyola, Rush, Creighton and Georgetown are looking for applicants with many hundreds or thousands of clinical and non clinical hours. You should not reapply until you have accumulated 200+ hours of clinical volunteering/ employment with patient contact and 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.). When you accumulate those hours before you submit your application I suggest these schools:
U Minnesota
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Any new schools that open (American University, Roseman, Alice Walton, Methodist)

Reactions: 1 user