How will Vandy let us know this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, its the next Friday.

Any news today?

Members don't see this ad.

DrThom said:
Well, its the next Friday.

Any news today?

I am also hoping to hear something but not a word so far. Perhaps they weren't a "pattern" these last two weekend calls. I feel foolish for staying at home on a Friday night, staring intensely at my phone.

CarlosMielefan said:
I am also hoping to hear something but not a word so far. Perhaps they weren't a "pattern" these last two weekend calls. I feel foolish for staying at home on a Friday night, staring intensely at my phone.

hehe, me too. i have come to scrutinize my called ID like nothing else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed at Vandy in Sept. Since it is my top choice, I am also anxiously waiting. But thought that they only sent out acceptances on the 15th of every month?

i'll tell you how vandy let me know: "the admissions committee has decided not to grant you acceptance."

:(

i was kinda bummed out because vandy is a really good school and i was interested in going there. congrats to all of you accepted. my spirits were lifted soon afterwards when i was invited to interview at duke and emory.

good luck to all of you that are nashville bound....

Vandy put me on their waitlist. Does anyone know how easy it is to get off it? I heard it was a lottery system, but can I possibly write something to them to display my continued interest in the school?

Waitlist here as well. According to the letter, we won't hear anything further until May.

yeah, i hear you guys. waitlist here too. it sux that they wont' even look at it till may. sigh. time to move on, i guess.

Did you all receive your waitlist letters today? Or are your waitlists from the oct 15 batch?

MiniPri said:
Did you all receive your waitlist letters today? Or are your waitlists from the oct 15 batch?
I received the waitlist letter yesterday (dated 10/22).

So does this mean no one got the call this weekend?

or...

does this mean no one who reads this thread got the call this weekend and everyone who interviewed post-sept 13th ish should expect their waitlist letter sometime this week?

hi everyone - just to clarify, those who received the waitlist letter... did any of you interview in late sept?

thanks!

I interviewed early September. So I guess it goes this way: Acceptances - 15th of the month, Waitlists - a week after?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and btw here's a bit of hopeful news I guess. the lady at the admissions office, while we were at the interview told us "many of those people [she was pointing to the board that had all the pictures of the people in the class of 2008] came in from the waitlist. so dont feel bad if you get on the list."

So, keep your chins up guys!

RunMimi said:
Nope. I was interviewed in early September and was accepted 10/22, so I no idea what kind of schedule they are using!

I am curious about this schedule...

the way they were going, the people who interviewed around the second and third week of sept should have heard this past friday but there was no news (from this board anyway)

DrThom said:
I am curious about this schedule...

the way they were going, the people who interviewed around the second and third week of sept should have heard this past friday but there was no news (from this board anyway)

i interviewed the 3rd week of sept and haven't heard anything either...don't know what that means... :oops:

RunMimi said:
Nope. I was interviewed in early September and was accepted 10/22, so I no idea what kind of schedule they are using!

And I interviewed the same day as RunMimi and was also accepted on 10/22.

They said that you should call if you feel you should have been placed in a particular group (they review every month, around the 15th), but have not received any notice yet.

I just got the call and was accepted to Vandy class of 2009! I am in shock! FYI, I interviewed on 9/17.

margerita said:
I just got the call and was accepted to Vandy class of 2009! I am in shock! FYI, I interviewed on 9/17.

Congrats!!!

I called today and they really didn't give me a straight answer. They are like "We review applicants every Friday but not necessarily in the order we interview them. We then send out letters (which I know they make calls). Don't worry you'll hear from us."

She didn't even tell me if I was reviewed or not.

DrThom said:
Congrats!!!

I called today and they really didn't give me a straight answer. They are like "We review applicants every Friday but not necessarily in the order we interview them. We then send out letters (which I know they make calls). Don't worry you'll hear from us."

She didn't even tell me if I was reviewed or not.

If they review every Friday and margerita got a phone call having interviewed on the 17th (congrats margerita btw)... I'm assuming they got through a number of applicants that interviewed between Sept 13-17 last Friday (though not all perhaps). I interviewed on the 16th... since I haven't gotten a call, I hope they didn't get to mine (otherwise I shall be expecting a letter in the mail soon)
:scared:

Shorty43 said:
If they review every Friday and margerita got a phone call having interviewed on the 17th (congrats margerita btw)... I'm assuming they got through a number of applicants that interviewed between the Sept 13-17 last Friday (though not all perhaps). I interviewed on the 16th... since I haven't gotten a call, I hope they didn't get to mine.

Still waiting... :eek:
congrats margerita!! :thumbup:

hey shorty i also interviewed on the 16th, and so far i've heard nada.... :scared:

Thanks to Margarita.. I was expecting this... but I just got the shaft to the waitlist.... <blah>... this process is killing me.

FYI: I interviewed Sept 16. Letter was dated Oct. 29th. :(

interviewed on the 13th and no news from vandy :confused:

This wait is making me really nervous. I interviewed on Sept 23rd, and I really hope that someone calls me next week.

Well I interviewed on 9/21 and I thought I would get the call last week if it was going to come. I have anxiously been awaiting my waitlist letter all week.

But its cool now, I have a buffer acceptance.

Well Vandy is the school that I really would like to go to....so that just makes this wait even worse. And hey DrThom, may be they just haven't reviewed your app yet.

bleh, i'm waitlisted....interviewed on 9/16 and just got the letter today

Well, I have escaped the waitlist letter this week so maybe I wasn't reviewed last week. Therefore,

BUMP so we can get another weekend of news.

good news and bad news.

i interviewed in late september, and i received word!
unfortunately, got waitlisted.

To everyone that was waitlisted...what are you going to do until May as in will you update your file or not? Also, is the waitlist ranked or is there another review process? Anyone currently attending Vandy who was waitlisted and may shed some light on the situation? Is it true that post-interview you either receive an acceptance or waitlist? (That may not be the best scenario bc the waitlist has to be hundreds of people then, so chances of acceptance would be even more slim.)

goal-getter said:
To everyone that was waitlisted...what are you going to do until May as in will you update your file or not? Also, is the waitlist ranked or is there another review process? Anyone currently attending Vandy who was waitlisted and may shed some light on the situation? Is it true that post-interview you either receive an acceptance or waitlist? (That may not be the best scenario bc the waitlist has to be hundreds of people then, so chances of acceptance would be even more slim.)

no, some people did get rejected, but i don't know what percentage that is.

goal-getter said:

When did you interview?

I had my interview last wk at vandy and it was my first; Does everyone send thank you letters to the interviewers? How to get their addresses? through the admissions office?

Haybrant said:
I had my interview last wk at vandy and it was my first; Does everyone send thank you letters to the interviewers? How to get their addresses? through the admissions office?

I sent thank you notes a few days after the interview. I got my interviewer's address/contact info after the interview. I think you can get them from the admissions office if you didnt get his/her card.

i'm waitlisted. that stinks.

Haybrant said:

I sent my interviewer a thank you card. He gave me his email so I could have done that too, but I thought it'd be more personal with a handwritten card. I sent it c/o Admissions Office.

DrThom said:
Well, I have escaped the waitlist letter this week so maybe I wasn't reviewed last week. Therefore,

BUMP so we can get another weekend of news.

DrThom,

No news for you yet? I haven't gotten any letters of rejection or waitlist yet and I interviewed before these people who recently got waitlisted...hope that means some good news...unless i get the letter today (sat.). :scared:

Guys,
Based on your experiences and the outcomes, do you feel the interview plays a big role at Vandy? I.e., did you feel the outcome matched the feel you got from the interview, or was the result a surprise? My interview there is coming up and I'm just curious about your thoughts.

leechy said:
Guys,
Based on your experiences and the outcomes, do you feel the interview plays a big role at Vandy? I.e., did you feel the outcome matched the feel you got from the interview, or was the result a surprise? My interview there is coming up and I'm just curious about your thoughts.

my interview went very well and i was accepted on the first day. that said, i've heard that gaining an acceptance at vanderbilt is more based on how you look on paper than how you interview. i think probably any school with only one interview is that way (washu, for example).

rosa said:
DrThom,

No news for you yet? I haven't gotten any letters of rejection or waitlist yet and I interviewed before these people who recently got waitlisted...hope that means some good news...unless i get the letter today (sat.). :scared:

not yet, unless the mail delivers me a waitlist today.

Edit: Mail came today and still nothing....wonder what is up.

leechy said:
Guys,

I blundered through the first half of my interview. At one point, I asked if Vandy was an elitist institution. Well, I didn't use those exact words but the interviewer used those words when he tried to rephrase my question. At another point, my interviewer told me that I was making the wrong move if I decided to generalize vs. specialize. That threw me for a loop b/c no one had ever disparaged my decision to go into primary care before. Who knows, perhaps he was trying to see how I'd react in a stressful situation. Anyway, the second half went much better. At the end, my interviewer told me that I'd either get accepted or be ranked high on the waitlist. I thought this was strange. I got in 10/15.

I don't belive the interview is a big part of the decision as your interviewer just writes a report and does not sit in when the committee makes their decision. The committee however will have time to talk about what you wrote for your autobiography and other essays. I'd really focus on those. I also took the advice of someone who posted on this board about showing focus in your essays. They have that emphasis program now. I wrote about that and exactly what I wanted to do in it. I think schools that have some sort of emphasis program (ie Vandy, Stanford) really want people who can become future leaders and it helps if these students come into med school with direction, initiative and purpose. This, of course, is just my opinion. Maybe ask what other ppl who got in wrote about in their essays.

Thanks a bunch for your insight, wxl and futuremsf.

hey, sorry to hijack this thread...but to those who have been accepted, was anyone else confused about the wording of the letter you received back from the dean? i wrote to the dean saying that i accepted Vanderbilt's offer, and the dean's letter that i got back had some pretty strong language. for example, the letter stated: "We are delighted with your decision and look forward to your years in the School of Medicine" and "We look forward to seeing you in August." Did other people receive similar language in their letters? I hope Vanderbilt understands that i am only tentatively accepting the offer, since i still have interviews at other schools left.

btw, congrats wxl31 for getting accepted. i remember you were concerned about your interview with that pathology guy.

firex said:
btw, congrats wxl31 for getting accepted. i remember you were concerned about your interview with that pathology guy.

thanks firex! yeah, i was bummed about the interview for a couple of hours that day. then i went for a run and a bird pooped on my head. lol. call me crazy, but i had a good feeling about my chances there after that. i'm glad all worked out for you too!

DrThom said:
any news guys?

No...I'm starting to think that the waitlist or rejection is inevitable.