How will you decide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

portlander

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted for a really long time because I have been so busy travelling and working 11 hour days at my dental office.

But, after visiting 5 schools in the last few weeks, I find myself finding great things about every single one. And the more time I spend in the midwest and east coast, the more I want to leave home and adventure somewhere else for the next four or more years.

Are any of you set on one school yet? How will you decide if you get multipe acceptances? Is money a huge issue for you? Which schools left the best impression with you?

I will be paying for my entire education, but somehow money is not deterring my decision to live in Boston or New York. I know I should be concerned, but I figure I will sell my car and then marry someone rich to support me (just kidding).

Also, I am a huge slacker and have done no work on my U of Washington secondary, but I actually don't want to go there, and then only reason I applied there was for my parents because they want me to have my Northwest options open.

Anyway, my question is how the heck will you decide where to spend the next four years of your life?

Members don't see this ad.

I have come to the consensus that the deciding factor for me will simply be tuition. My uncle has a practice that is waiting for me, should I choose to enter it, and I'm a firm believer that all dental schools can deliver a splendid education if the student puts in the time. Of course, more time and effort may be required to open certain doors at some schools, but I think a great education may be had by all.

For me, tuition is going to be the bottom line. If I get into several schools that have the same tuition spread, then I'll probably make a decision based on geography and weather.

I have a simple solution:

for every "pro" that you find about a school write that schools name on a small piece of paper and drop it in a box. When you have put all the schools names down as many times as they have good qualities just mix the paper together and just pick one out...that will be the school you should go to.

Money is a bigger factor for those who are married and older, I agree. But I would definately not have tuition prices on top. I would want to go where I am happy. Since those with family members flying down with them are pretty much happy wherever they go (since they have each other) for a single person you should not look at the price of the school but where your heart feels right (and where your classmates look the best).

DesiDentist :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Portlander:

Well, I too will go to the school where the tuition is less. It is short sightedness not put tuition up in your list when deciding on which dental school to attend.
And if the higher or lower tuition does not make a difference to you NOW, I bet it will when you have to pay $2500 as oppose to $900 a month for your loans. The weather, people, city and all those things are just temporary, you will get used to all those things plus it is only four years. I would say one has to be really imature to put those things as choosing criteria when there is a huge difference in tuition.
For me tuition is the first and second how good the school is, and mainly how good the clinical program is. Because after four years and basically till the end of my life that is what going to count not who was sitting next to me or which city I was in or how many bars did I go to. But how good of a dentist I am. Think about 10 years down the road.

DesiDentist, try again. I am one of the youngest people in my class and am single - and tuition is still #1 in my book. roster said it well - you will get used to the weather and the city, etc. And no matter which dental school you attend, there will always be the awesome people who are your friends as well as a few who annoy the heck out of you. We have several students in our school who were born and raised in California. They leave the sun and warm weather to spend 4 years in the snow in Buffalo because attending SUNY Buffalo is way cheaper than going to USC or UOP. They know they're only here for 4 years and are headed home on the first plane back to Cali after graduation.

With 3 more semesters to go, I can't tell you how relieved I feel knowing that when it is all over, I will owe a maximum of $100,000, if that. Do I like living here? No. Beyond the NYC area, the rest of New York state is empty and gray. But there are 90 others who made the same decision I did, so we're in this together. Married people, single people, NY residents, and out of state students. And as I start looking for residencies, I am now definitely looking at the places where I want to live and will be happy because residencies pay you! I owe them only my time and skills, no tuition at all!

If you have a source that will foot the majority of your dental bill for you (mom & dad, Army, etc) then definitely attend according to your heart's desire. But with dental education reaching $250,000+ for 4 years at some schools, you might want to reconsider. Starting a practice takes money and you will easily accrue several hundred thousand more in debt when you try to buy a practice a few years out of school. Not to mention the house and car you might try to buy if you have a family after some time.

Now as those acceptances start rolling in for the class of 2007...

gavin, roster, and griffen...you got me thinking now...the more I think about it the more I realize the importance of incurring the least amount of debt. However, living in a state with only one dental school that accepts only 55 people and one of THE best and most competitive dental schools one has to "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." So I guess I am preparing myself to be optimistic no matter where I go. If I do not get into UW then all the other schools cost around the same. Thanks.

DesiDentist

Some advice for you guys. I've been around long enough to know that life is often about making adjustments. So, the main goal for you folks is to get into dental school. All else is iceing on the cake after that. As for paying back student loan debt, you have options. You may choose to make higher monthly payments than some of your peers for a number of years, or you may wish to do a military stint and get all your costs payed while earning a salary for going to dental school, or you can work for a public agency after graduation that will reimburse you for all or part of your dental school debt load. So, keep things in perspective. If you suddenly lost the use of your hands due to a tragic accident, you would have to make an adjustment regarding your plans for attending dental school. In my opinion, that would be a greater challange than graduating from dental school with a huge debt load.

Well said groundhog!!

Or establish residency where you plan to attend school. And choose a state that has about a dozen of dental schools with cheap tuition like CA or TX. Or convert to seven day advantage if you want Loma linda that bad.
:rolleyes:
Just some suggestions.
T