How would you counsel a blind person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalCPA

Actually, it's medicalCPA, MD, PhD now
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was having breakfast at IHOP on Monday (gotta love those omelettes and pancakes!), and two guys walked in, and one was blind. When the waitress brought him his coffee, she described the position of everything on the table, and she manipulated his hands to touch them and told him exactly what he was touching (eg. this is the coffee pot, etc). And I wondered, how do pharmacists counsel a blind person? Are there medication directions in Braille? And what of a deaf person, if you don't know sign language?

Members don't see this ad.

That's an excellent question! I would hope that someone who's blind would already have a system in place to take their medication or someone that could help them take the correct medications at the correct time, but if they didn't it might be hard. I know that most pill boxes (the Sunday-Saturday ones) have braille on them, so setting up some of those would be a start.

As to deaf people, we actually counseled a deaf woman yesterday at work. The pharmacist just took her to the side window and everything was done through written notes. It took about 15 minutes, but I think that she went away knowing how to take her meds (just an antibiotic and pyridium for a UTI, but still, we didn't want to let her leave without knowing the fun side effects of pyridium!). But we were really slow and the pharmacist I work with is pretty patient - I know that if it had been busier or I'd been working with someone else that she might not have been counseled as effectively.

When I've counselled blind patients, I've reiterated the directions for taking their medication a couple of times. One patient came for refills, and when she handed me the bottles, they had these plastic tags stuck to them covered with Braille that somebody had added.

Given the explosion of diabetes amongst young people, we might need Braille writers for our prescription labels as part of our standard equipment in a few years.

Deaf is easy; you just write everything down. And some deaf people can lip read.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping somewhere along the line to learn ASL. I suspect it would be a very hand thing to know in the future.

Maybe you could teach them the shape and feel of various tablets so they would know what they are taking. You could also utilize different size vials for the medications.

I think that the first question should be how a blind person made it to the pharmacy. Imagine if they had to somehow get 2 tablespoons of a liquid medication. How would that work? I imagine that they would have some type of caretaker that at least came in weekly to set the pills out.

utilize the service dogs....they are very intelligent

when i worked retail, we had a few deaf patients. one used to send family in to get her meds, and call us using TTY. the other lady could lip read just fine, but when we hired a cashier who knew ASL, she was thrilled! we had the cashier teach us how to say things like "thank you", "have a nice day", "how are you today?" and our deaf patient would positively beam when we tried signing to her!

non-pharmacy related, my friends and i learned to sign dirty phrases in high school. we were singing with our choir at some elem. schools, one of which had some deaf student and teachers who knew ASL. well, the deaf kids knew what we were signing to each other and ratted us out to their teachers, who, in turn got us in trouble with our chorus director!

I think that the first question should be how a blind person made it to the pharmacy. Imagine if they had to somehow get 2 tablespoons of a liquid medication. How would that work? I imagine that they would have some type of caretaker that at least came in weekly to set the pills out.

10cc syringe, filled three times. That's an easy one to do.

In my first pharmacy intern position, there was a regular patient who came in for meds and was blind. Often he came with a home nurse aid so she came with him to pick up medications and shop for food. On weekends the blind patient does come on his own and he does pick up his own meds or purchase OTC items. With blind patients, you have to earn their trust in order for them to allow you to counsel them. My pharmacist introduced me to him, and told him I was an intern and I could counsel him but he was a bit skeptical and afraid. For prescription medications, the pharmacist gave him different size bottles to tell between the different meds he was taking (lipitor small bottle, lisinopril medium size, etc). Since he took only a few meds, we didn't have to worry about additional bottle sizes.. but I would recommend if the blind patient had maybe 5 or 6 meds, you can use safety cap and non-safety cap to help distinguish the meds. Anyway, so to counsel the patient, the pharmacist took a pill out of the bottle and allowed the patient to touch and feel the med, and counseled him on proper use of the med. We would follow up with the home nurse aid and inform her of meds he picked up over the weekend, whenever she came in. I think maybe two months into constantly speaking to the blind patient over the phone and refilling his meds, saying hi and being friendly to him allowed me to gain his trust, so I was able to counsel him later on. He relied mainly on the pharmacist and me on OTC items, and asked for second opinions if he was purchasing something from another pharmacy. He was a really nice person, I miss working with disabled patients.

we have two blind and one deaf patients at our pharmacy.

One of the blind patients has a really amazing sense of direction and he most definitely all his other senses have heightened, presumably because of his blindness. He relies on public transportation (not hard in downtown, philadelphia) and the only problem for him is the signing

The deaf guy that comes in lip reads VERY WELL. he even speaks, albeit with a slight different accent (the way you often hear deaf and mute people speak).

BTW, I heard a deaf pharmacy student from UCSF, along with some clinical pharmacists there is starting a rotation designed to serve the deaf and mute community

If ya got a summer off, you can always give learning ASL a try...

Maybe you could teach them the shape and feel of various tablets so they would know what they are taking. You could also utilize different size vials for the medications.

I like this idea! :thumbup: