How would you feel about a PhD (non-physician) as Radiology Chairman?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted915203

Hi Radiologists,

I am a pathologist (not a radiologist). We are having a discussion in the Pathology Forum about PhDs (non-physicians) that are hospital pathology chairman. I have two questions:

1. Does Radiology allow PhDs (non-physicians) to become chairmen of hospital Radiology Departments? If so, does that bother you?

2. Do you find it strange that a hospital Pathology chairman can be a non-physician (PhD only)?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Radiologists,

I am a pathologist (not a radiologist). We are having a discussion in the Pathology Forum about PhDs (non-physicians) that are hospital pathology chairman. I have two questions:

1. Does Radiology allow PhDs (non-physicians) to become chairmen of hospital Radiology Departments? If so, does that bother you?

2. Do you find it strange that a hospital Pathology chairman can be a non-physician (PhD only)?

Thank you.

1. No
2. Yes, unless the research work overshadows clinical work in terms of revenue and personnel within the department and the clinical people are not concerned about recruitment.

Reactions: 1 user
1. No
2. Yes, unless the research work overshadows clinical work in terms of revenue and personnel within the department and the clinical people are not concerned about recruitment.
It’s bad enough when the chairman isn’t clinical but still a physician.

It would be horrible if the chairman was never clinical.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would run the other direction if I came across a program like this

Reactions: 1 users
1. No...but that's because a PhD has absolutely no knowledge of Radiology.

2. I don't. My great grandfather was a PhD and ran a clinical lab.

Reactions: 1 user
So, what stops NYU Path department from taking PhDs as residents? After all, if chairman is non Md/DO, why can't residents be?
Next, hey, look at that doctor practicing medicine being a PhD, what stops others...

Reactions: 1 users
So, what stops NYU Path department from taking PhDs as residents? After all, if chairman is non Md/DO, why can't residents be?
Next, hey, look at that doctor practicing medicine being a PhD, what stops others...

In pathology, fellows can be PhD-only. They can complete fellowships in Chemistry and Microbiology and can practice in a hospital. I am not sure if they can complete fellowships in Informatics and Molecular Genetics.
Also, PhDs can run HLA labs in hospitals. I have never seen a PhD-only resident in pathology - it may not be allowed.