How would you handle this situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Coming to work and I saw my schedule changed....not by my director, but but a staff. That person didn't even CALL me first. The change favors his/her interest. This isn't his/her first time. What action should I do now? Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

This one is easy.

Confront them.

I would tell the director that you didn't approve it. Done.

OR, if it's a super smoking hot lady pharmacist, then my advice would be let her do that as long as she is up for drinks after the shift :shifty:

Members don't see this ad :)
Coming to work and I saw my schedule changed....not by my director, but but a staff. That person didn't even CALL me first. The change favors his/her interest. This isn't his/her first time. What action should I do now? Please advise.

just change it back

thus is retail...everyone's out for themselves

If they have no authority in changing the schedule, ignore the change. Come in to work what you were originally scheduled. At least at the hospital I work, you need to sign and submit a shift change sheet to the supervisor and then they approve the change. What are they going to do, tell the director they can change the schedule however they want? Let them look like an idiot. Just make sure you stand up for yourself somehow or you will continue to get walked on.

I think the best way to resolve this problem is to complain about it on the Internet and then secretly wish cancer on this person while you are at work.

Reactions: 7 users
Talk to the person in charge of scheduling, next step is the director.

If they have no authority in changing the schedule, ignore the change. Come in to work what you were originally scheduled. At least at the hospital I work, you need to sign and submit a shift change sheet to the supervisor and then they approve the change. What are they going to do, tell the director they can change the schedule however they want? Let them look like an idiot. Just make sure you stand up for yourself somehow or you will continue to get walked on.

This

I agree with this as well. Don't let people walk all over you because they think they can.

Tell your manager. I am sure your department has a policy about this...this would never be allowed at any hospital I've worked at. Once the schedule is made, there is no changing it unless it is agreed upon by both people and approved by the manager.

Come on people, common sense...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thus is retail...everyone's out for themselves

Its actually the opposite. In hospitals, you have to watch your back. Office drama is ridiculous. I've worked in multiple hospitals. Its the same everywhere. Without external conflict (general public) there is internal conflict (each other).

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't even want to talk to that person after this happened. I went to the director and he said if this happens again, it will be a formal writeup. The person that changed my schedule without calling me was obviously a d*k at work because he has some "connection" with the supervising pharmacist....bullying the technicians and other pharmacists.
Politic is dirty here too. But enough is enough.

I didn't even want to talk to that person after this happened. I went to the director and he said if this happens again, it will be a formal writeup. The person that changed my schedule without calling me was obviously a d*k at work because he has some "connection" with the supervising pharmacist....bullying the technicians and other pharmacists.
Politic is dirty here too. But enough is enough.

They will start tracking your mistakes now and try to get you fired for the next year. Guarantee it. I suggest keeping a dossier of screw ups on whoever it is that's giving you a hard time, plus their "allies." You will need it just in case.

Just curious, do you say "sorry" a lot?

I think the best way to resolve this problem is to complain about it on the Internet and then secretly wish cancer on this person while you are at work.

Why cancer? I was thinking of something like STD's or Dermatopathies LOL....
Regarding the scheduling issues and politics within the hospital: that's one of the turn-offs I hate working in hospitals--gossips run around at speed of light and sometimes even though you're already in your position, you still have to audition for it everyday!

Confronted last time and that person yelled at me and said he/she has more senority so he/she can change it.

That's bull****. Even at the union hospital where I worked, the person with more seniority has ZERO authority to change schedules. They can request days off and get priority over you if you request the same day, but the only one who can change the schedule is the director.

And hospital politics are pretty dirty. I came to the pediatric hospital from a community union hospital. At the union hospital, there was a mentality of staff pharmacists vs administration and that the staff pharmacists and union delegate will have your back. This wasn't good for me going into a non-union hospital. One time I asked one of the other staff pharmacists who was training me if there was anything I needed to know about any personality quirks about the ops managers (one step above the lead pharmacists and one step below the assistant director). This mofo went and told the ops manager that I was talking **** about him. After that, they start nitpicking everything I did.

Last edited:
Why should seniority play a role in whether or not you get a day off?

Why should seniority play a role in whether or not you get a day off?

According to the union if two people submit a request for vacation time or a personal day, the more senior person will get the preference. The request for the day off has to be made within a certain period of time before the schedule comes out.

What we started doing was, we bought a calendar. We distribute the calendar amongst the pharmacists based on seniority. You have 3 days to decide which weeks you want off for your vacation, then you must give up the calendar to the next less senior person. 1 week max for vacations unless you show proof you are going abroad to Europe, Africa, Asia, etc but even then it's a 2 week max. After everyone enters their preferences, the calendar is given to the director.