How would you handle this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annoyed Resident

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks!! I mentioned it one more time and she agreed to do them on the complicated ones. To answer the question yes it is supposedly required here. I jumped the gun with seeking advice I guess since she was so against doing it last week but this morning in clinic I saw a patient I had a bunch of questions on and she said she'd do one for him since she really did a lot for him and our EMR isn't the best and then she agreed to do it on a few others.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Transfer summaries on clinic patients? Seriously, that's a thing now?

I was thinking the same thing.

I agree with the above. I've never heard of this and it never happened in my residency program. I would argue that reviewing the charts of unfamiliar patients is a common part of medical practice.

Transfer summaries on clinic patients? Seriously, that's a thing now?

I did that for my nursing home patients, although I wasn't required to. But I figured it was a nice thing to do and those nursing home charts are a hot (paper) mess.

Anyway, if that is the expectation in the program (cultural, or explicit), then yes, keep harping on her to do it. If it's just one of those "nice, but not always expected" things, then don't.

Yes sorry. I shouldn't have deleted. It was resolved. Basically our program makes us do discharge summaries when we leave so incoming residents know what's happened with the patients since some of the notes from a few years ago are paper and our EMR sucks. I got patients from a friend who didn't leave discharge summaries on anyone so I've been going crazy trying to go through all the notes and labs and hand written clinic notes and exam documentation and stuff from the past. But it's now resolved.