How would you rank the Pennsylvania schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Penn
2. Pittsburgh

But from there...not a clue?
What are the best "mid to lower" tier schools in PA?

Penn State, TCMC, Jefferson, Drexel, Temple.

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from the obvious of Penn and Pitt being top, if we are looking for research and academic opportunities, really the schools that are confidently recommended are Jefferson and Temple.

From what's seen here, Drexel seems to have problems with clinical rotations and hospital instability. TCMC is relatively new. Penn State is a good school.

An SDN Tier System for PA would look something like this:

1. Penn, Pitt
2. Jefferson, Temple
3. Penn State, TCMC, Drexel

Am I at any disadvantage being at Drexel?
As my only option, I'd be a fool not to go there, but that worries me a little bit..

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I at any disadvantage being at Drexel?
As my only option, I'd be a fool not to go there, but that worries me a little bit..

No, you are fine. The tiers and rankings were made arbitrarily based on research/academic factors, but you will still enjoy great opportunities at Drexel. The only concern is regarding clinical years, and that's something you'd need to find out early on from your school/upperclassmen/faculty etc.

No, you are fine. The tiers and rankings were made arbitrarily based on research/academic factors, but you will still enjoy great opportunities at Drexel. The only concern is regarding clinical years, and that's something you'd need to find out early on from your school/upperclassmen/faculty etc.

Do you have any insight of your own into this? I haven't heard it mentioned yet and it's a bit concerning. (But as my only acceptance, I'll figure this all out)

I've read somewhere from people at Drexel that they don't really enjoy it there, but I can't remember for what reason(s).

You got into medical school!!! Be more excited about it! Just get that degree.

From what I know:

1. Penn
2. Pitt
3. Temple
4. PSU
5. Drexel/TCMC (I clump the 2 together since I've heard some negative things about Drexel from current students, and I believe TCMC is getting it's **** together and is on their way up)
6. PCOM
7. LECOM

But you have an MD acceptance. Might it be ideal? Not necessarily. But I thought when I went to undergrad I was making a mistake, thought it would be miserable, but it ended up being the best decision ever. Only can you make of the opportunity you have in front of you! It seems as though for residency, your step scores matter significantly more than the school you went to!

At this point, quit looking for negatives out of a positive situation. You have an acceptance at a US MD. Leave it at that. There are plenty on this forum that would pay serious money to switch positions with you. You're in. Now go have a beer (or a bubble tea..whatever that is).

Reactions: 5 users
Ditto the above. It seems like you set up this thread just to negatively dwell on the fact that people would put Drexel last. If that is your only acceptance, you don't have options to compare Drexel to, so go enjoy it.

Have some pride in where you're going! Nothing brings down the mood on a school campus than students who are always worried about what other schools think of them

Reactions: 1 user
1. Penn
2. Pitt
3. Jefferson
4. Penn State
5.Temple
6. Drexel/TCMC
7.PCOM
8. Whatever is left

Reactions: 1 user
1. Penn
2. Pitt
3. Jeff >= Temple
4. PSU
5. Drexel >= TCMC
6. PCOM
7. LECOM

This is more broad than just OP, but I truly cannot understand why people obsess so much over rankings. What should matter to you is how you fit with the school, and if you feel that you can have success there. I personally really like Drexel during the interview, and one of my best friends from college is an M1 there and really loves it, so if they hadn't post-interview rejected me I would have seriously considered it. Also you should consider what type of medicine you want to go into-some schools are better known for different specialties, and you should let that guide you (although in OP's case there really isn't a choice).

Can I play?

1. Penn,
  2. Pitt
  3. Temple
  4. Jefferson,
  5. Drexel
  6. Penn State

TCMC too new, small and quirky to rank.

Aside from the obvious of Penn and Pitt being top, if we are looking for research and academic opportunities, really the schools that are confidently recommended are Jefferson and Temple.

From what's seen here, Drexel seems to have problems with clinical rotations and hospital instability. TCMC is relatively new. Penn State is a good school.

An SDN Tier System for PA would look something like this:

1. Penn, Pitt
2. Jefferson, Temple
3. Penn State, TCMC, Drexel

The ranking would probably be
1.Penn
2.Pitt
3.other MDs
4.DOs
I'm not sure that there's really much of a difference outside of the 2 big boys except for location.

--
Il Destriero

This is pretty much my ranking
They are all pretty good though, drexel did well in the anesthesia match this year