How would you rank the Philly schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lambshakes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm brand new to SDN and just wanted to know what the reputation of the 5 Philly area med schools are and how you would rank them. Obviously UPenn would be number one and PCOM would be last, but the other three (Temple, Jefferson, Drexel) seem to be pretty close.

I want to know because I've been lucky enough to have gotten acceptances this cycle to Drexel, Temple, and Jefferson and I really liked them all. As the deadline is only a few days away I was just wondering in what order people would place all of these schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Jefferson>Temple>Drexel....Congrats on your acceptances. That being said, just go wherever is cheapest

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys I'm brand new to SDN and just wanted to know what the reputation of the 5 Philly area med schools are and how you would rank them. Obviously UPenn would be number one and PCOM would be last, but the other three (Temple, Jefferson, Drexel) seem to be pretty close.

I want to know because I've been lucky enough to have gotten acceptances this cycle to Drexel, Temple, and Jefferson and I really liked them all. As the deadline is only a few days away I was just wondering in what order people would place all of these schools.

Penn >>>>>>> Jefferson >= Temple >> Drexel = PCOM

You should go to Jefferson (a very good hospital system) but i heard very good things from students who go to Temple. You can't go wrong with either school. Drexel is just bad altogether.

Reactions: 6 users
Just curious, why do people rank Drexel so low?

It has to do with the instability of the hospital system. I have heard very negative things about how they do clinical rotations as well, if I am not mistaken some of their class has to go to Pittsburgh in the Allegheny systems.

Just speaking as someone who interviewed at Temple, Drexel, and Jefferson...Drexel's interview actually left me with a negative impression of the school. It was very disorganized, I had to take a shuttle to my faculty interview and therefore completely missed the campus tour, and my student interviewer actually told me that he didn't really like it there. Temple and Jefferson both left me with hugely positive impressions, the students seemed way happier and actually excited about their schools.

Also in terms of reputation, Jefferson has a great hospital system that is well respected, as well as an emphasis on great clinical education. Temple also has a reputation for making great clinicians and giving lots of hands on experience due to the area it is located in, and recently has been expanding its research by a lot.

Reactions: 3 users
My Drexel faculty interviewer straight up told me not to go there and to 100% go to Jefferson. I also missed the tour due to my interview being at Hahnemann. I also had difficulties getting back to Queen's Lane because the shuttle driver thought that my admissions day shuttle pass was "fake" and that I was just trying to con a ride on the shuttle. Even after he called his supervisor to get things straightened out (it took another driver to convince him to do so), he was blatantly rude to me.

Needless to say, I threw out my Drexel acceptance as soon as I received it in the mail.

Reactions: 2 users
You got it right there. I call them the "Philly Triplets" for that reason.

What does your gut tell you? Of the students who you met, who seemed the happiest? Which curriculum best suits you? If you're interested in research, Temple has the most extramural funds, followed by Jefferson, and Drexel last.

I want to know because I've been lucky enough to have gotten acceptances this cycle to Drexel, Temple, and Jefferson and I really liked them all. As the deadline is only a few days away I was just wondering in what order people would place all of these schools.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the acceptances, and good luck! Do let us know what your decision was.

I go to school in Philadelphia, and the consensus among students at my undergrad seems to be Jefferson > Temple > Drexel. People with acceptances with all three seem to pick one of the first two schools as well, mainly because of reasons outlined above.

Thanks for all of the replies so far!

Is Jefferson really much better than Temple and Drexel? I looked at the USNews rankings and Temple is the highest ranked out of the three of them.

Thanks for all of the replies so far!

Is Jefferson really much better than Temple and Drexel? I looked at the USNews rankings and Temple is the highest ranked out of the three of them.

Temple is ranked higher than Jefferson in US News research rankings for the reasons mentioned by @Goro

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They're all the same. I guarantee that you will never, ever encounter a patient that significantly prefers a doctor who studied at Temple to Jefferson or Drexel, or vice versa.

They're all the same. I guarantee that you will never, ever encounter a patient that significantly prefers a doctor who studied at Temple to Jefferson or Drexel, or vice versa.
Just because your patient's won't care doesn't mean that you shouldn't care. Your patients aren't spending four years in medical school; you are.

Reactions: 16 users

Congrats on answering a question that no one asked, as well as missing the point. Also, for all the reasons outlined in this thread, they are NOT the same, but thanks for playing.

Also, no Doug no!

He asked how they were ranked. The only meaningful difference in rank is "Which one did I like best when I interviewed there?" For most of SDN, the best Philly triplet is the one they get accepted to. If you get accepted to more than one, go to the one you liked best at your interview.

Research rankings (USNWR)
#55 Temple
#63 Jefferson
#83 Drexel

Primary care rankings (USNWR)

#62 Jefferson
Temple unranked
Drexel unranked

There's no significant difference between Temple and Drexel for primary care at all according to this data. The difference between research rankings is small: none of these schools are huge research powerhouses.

Tuition:
Drexel: $51,616
Temple: $53,468
Jefferson $52, 266

There's no significant difference between them in terms of costs of attendance. SDN can't tell you which one is the best. Only your interview and your own opinions formed from it can do that.

He asked how they were ranked. The only meaningful difference in rank is "Which one did I like best when I interviewed there?" For most of SDN, the best Philly triplet is the one they get accepted to. If you get accepted to more than one, go to the one you liked best at your interview.

Research rankings (USNWR)
#55 Temple
#63 Jefferson
#83 Drexel

Primary care rankings (USNWR)

#62 Jefferson
Temple unranked
Drexel unranked

There's no significant difference between Temple and Drexel for primary care at all according to this data. The difference between research rankings is small: none of these schools are huge research powerhouses.

Tuition:
Drexel: $51,616
Temple: $53,468
Jefferson $52, 266

There's no significant difference between them in terms of costs of attendance. SDN can't tell you which one is the best. Only your interview and your own opinions formed from it can do that.

You should have quit earlier.

Jeff has the #2 optho residency and one of the best ortho residencies in the country... Do you know what Rothman is? The place is an ortho publishing behemoth. Jeff's spine fellowship is the most productive of ALL the programs in the US.

So basically, if you're interested in ortho or optho, which are two incredibly competitive programs, you have access to some of the best residencies in the country.

Yeah... but none of that filters into the life of a med student, right?

In sum, it might not matter from your end, but talk to any of the attendings I work for that conduct residency and fellowship interviews over here and all else equal, I can tell you they would pick Jeff alums over the other two for the ortho residency and fellowship here. This to the point that they were shocked that I was still pursuing Einstein even though I got into Jeff. I got asked, "Why the heck would you do that," multiple times when they asked me if I was going to go to Jeff and I told them I was still wl'ed at AE.

And this is at the pointy end of the stick for places to do residency/fellowship so... yeah.

Obviously my knowledge is biased since I work in Ortho/Spine/Ortho Onc, but the attendings were probably twice as happy as I was when I got in. And I was pretty freaking psyched.

Jeff as a school focuses on training the best physicians it can possibly train. Their resources are directed to reflect this focus and clearly that affects them in the research ranking so to speak. But research funding totals don't necessarily coincide with the quality of the research, just that more people are getting funding.

Jeff punches far above the weight class the rankings would imply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

Jeff has the #2 optho residency and one of the best ortho residencies in the country... Do you know what Rothman is? The place is an ortho publishing behemoth. Jeff's spine fellowship is the most productive of ALL the programs in the US.

So basically, if you're interested in ortho or optho, which are two incredibly competitive programs, you have access to some of the best residencies in the country.

In sum, it might not matter from your end, but talk to any of the attendings I work for that conduct residency and fellowship interviews over here and all else equal, I can tell you they would pick Jeff alums over the other two for the ortho residency and fellowship here. This to the point that they were shocked that I was still pursuing Einstein even though I got into Jeff. I got asked, "Why the heck would you do that," multiple times when they asked me if I was going to go to Jeff and I told them I was still wl'ed at AE.

And this is at the pointy end of the stick for places to do residency/fellowship so... yeah.

Obviously my knowledge is biased since I work in Ortho/Spine/Ortho Onc, but the attendings were probably twice as happy as I was when I got in. And I was pretty freaking psyched.

Jeff as a school focuses on training the best physicians it can possibly train. Their resources are directed to reflect this focus and clearly that affects them in the research ranking so to speak. But research funding totals don't necessarily coincide with the quality of the research, just that more people are getting funding.

Jeff Alum: a few comments.

I'm non-surgical, but got to do electives at both Wills Eye and Rothman and those were some awesome months. The Onco clinic at Wills is insane with patients coming from all over the world, and though they don't let the students anywhere near the VIP cases, there's something cool about the fact that some of the top athletes in the world are getting their ortho work done in the OR next to you.

Someone mentioned Drexel being about 300 students, Jeff is around 270 at the moment if I remember correctly and when I was there I think we were the larger school. It did make the place seem rather impersonal at times and I did often feel like a number when I had an issue to talk to the Dean's office about. and FWIW, the "Dean of Students" or whatever the title is was one of the rudest people I've ever met in my medical training... and I'm far from the only person with such a bad experience.

You really can't use research rankings to judge the schools. Jefferson has a lot of clinical research, but quite a bit less basic science, mainly because there's (essentially) no larger research university to include in research totals. For example I did undergrad research in basic science at a top 10 med school. We were covered under the "[top 10 university] school of medicine" for our lab, but it was essentially just basic biology that would be at "department of biology" anywhere else. Jeff obviously can't do things like that. As for the primary care side of things, Jefferson's Family Med may be the best program on the east coast.

I don't think the gap between the quality of Jeff and Temple is all that large. Jeff is a swanky hospital system compared to Temple, but Temple has a totally different patient population and has a reputation for more "hands on" learning from their students. If you're looking to work with the under-served, Jefferson really isn't the school to give you that exposure.

Pretty much all medical schools in philly except Penn send their students outside the city for rotations, and for what it's worth, some of the farther out rotations have really good reputations. Reading Hospital always had great reviews (visited by all 4 non-penn schools), as did York. Some of the Pittsburgh places got high marks, though we weren't rotating there when I was a student. Virtually everyone at Jeff has to go to Delaware for peds.
Center City > North Philly > random suburb outside of Philly

As for this, most of the Temple students I knew lived in the same neighborhoods as Jeff students. Temple is an easy ride up the BSL. Same with Drexel students in the second two years.

Drexel's hospital system is a bit of a mess, but at least they have a main hospital, which gives them a leg up on PCOM.

Penn > Jefferson >= Temple > Drexel >PCOM.

I'm local to the area and did most of my volunteering/shadowing in the philly area. I have about 5 physicians I go to for advice on med school matters, and every single one of them told me I'd regret not going to Jeff if I chose another PA school over it. So I guess what I'm trying to say is the local clinicians seem to think it is the best (though most of them liked temple too, just not as much as Jeff).

Also, every student I met at Jeff was reasonably happy and still found time to live lives outside of medicine. The students I interacted with at drexel were sleep deprived, not quite as friendly, and much less enthusiastic about the school. I got an amazing vibe at Jeff, and everyone seemed to love it there. I have to admit I'm a bit bias though, as I'll be in the class next fall!

Good Luck with your decision!

Doesn't Jeff also stagger the courseload so you have weekends after an exam 'free' for fri/sat? I.e. they release new material on sunday or such.

Wow thank you @WingedOx and @ridethecliche for such informative posts about Jefferson!

I'm curious is there anyone who is going to/went to Temple that could provide the pros of that school?

Doesn't Jeff also stagger the courseload so you have weekends after an exam 'free' for fri/sat? I.e. they release new material on sunday or such.

For the most part, yeah. In the rare times when we had a Monday test, there was much grumbling. Most people I know were really happy with the way Jefferson was run the first two years. It was clinicals where I had a number of classmates (and to a less extent, myself) start to get disillusioned and bitter.

I would rank drexel at rock bottom. The school looked like and felt like a high school. All the students I talked to there seemed unhappy and mainly deflected my comments about positives about the school and talked about what they weren't doing at school and not going to lecture. The person who interviewed me who was like the dean of admissions or something and seemed incredulous about the prospect of me wanting to do serious research at drexel bc there aren't many opportunities there. They also have one of the poorest ways and most stone age ways of announcing admission decisions ever (4-6 week snail mail and won't tell us the decision over the phone until we get the letter in the mail). The hospital being far away is super inconvenient too and the interview day was one of the most disorganized interview days i've had.

Jefferson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Drexel

Thought I would update this with what school I decided on now that it is April 30th.

After weighing the pros and cons of Temple, Drexel, and Jefferson I have decided on...

Temple!!

In the end I went with my gut, I just clicked more easily with the students and atmosphere there, love the new facilities, expanding research opportunities, as well as their commitment to serving the unique patient population of North Philadelphia. I also got a merit scholarship there that would make Temple slightly cheaper than the other two.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Thought I would update this with what school I decided on now that it is April 30th.

After weighing the pros and cons of Temple, Drexel, and Jefferson I have decided on...

Temple!!

In the end I went with my gut, I just clicked more easily with the students and atmosphere there, love the new facilities, expanding research opportunities, as well as their commitment to serving the unique patient population of North Philadelphia. I also got a merit scholarship there that would make Temple slightly cheaper than the other two.

Thanks everyone!

Congrats! Great choice. Like GTLO mentioned, you can always refer to @Geekchick921 or other Temple students for more info but it's a great school. Good luck on your future endeavors!

Temple!!

Thanks everyone!

Awesome congrats on your decision! I'm still on the WL at Einstein and Jefferson but I'm thinking of just withdrawing and matriculating at Temple because I really loved the school. So there is a good chance we will be future classmates!

I would say Penn>Jefferson=>Drexel>Temple>Pcom.

Temple affiliate hospitals aren't that great and the area is pretty crappy.

Jefferrson has been going down in recent years. Not a whole lot, but they aren't as great as they were say 10 years ago.

Drexel has a weird hospital system, but residencies do like to see people attend a vast variety of hospitals from rural to suburban to urban hospitals.

I would say Jefferson and Temple are more or less equal, but I would definitely not rank Drexel above Temple.

Both Jefferson and Temple have a whole bunch of clinical sites outside of Philadelphia in community hospitals so that isn't something unique to Drexel.

I would say Penn>Jefferson=>Drexel>Temple>Pcom.

Temple affiliate hospitals aren't that great and the area is pretty crappy.

Jefferrson has been going down in recent years. Not a whole lot, but they aren't as great as they were say 10 years ago.

Drexel has a weird hospital system, but residencies do like to see people attend a vast variety of hospitals from rural to suburban to urban hospitals.

Interesting perspective, thanks for replying!

I didn't have the same negative experience at Drexel as some of the other posters here have, but I have gotten the impression from a lot of people who I've asked (both doctors/students in the Philly area and outside of it) that Drexel is considered less favorably than the other MD schools in Philly.

Also while Temple University Hospital isn't as nice as Jefferson, it provides excellent hands on experience. Excellent clinical training has historically been the strengths of both of those schools.

Temple!!

Thanks everyone!

d165129c077b7333cc03b5ecfffda74f1a5607232f9ab6652348d76111f55a9f.jpg

You guys, I graduate in a week. The expiration date on asking me for medical school advice is rapidly approaching.

FWIW, I only applied to the Philly area schools. Penn rejected me pre-interview (whateva!), and I never sent my secondary to PCOM. I interviewed at Jeff, Temple and Drexel. Jeff was my first interviewing and my top choice going in to the process. I left feeling like I choked on my adcom interview and, while I liked it, I didn't think that was anywhere near how much I was supposed to like a school. I got waitlisted but never made any attempt to get off it because my next interview was Temple and I loved it. I just felt like I belonged. The staff and student body were much more down to earth, sincere, and not Stepford-y like the Jeff students (sorry, guys, that's the vibe I got). I knew if I got in there I didn't care about anywhere else. I got in, but I still went to my Drexel interview. It was an odd day. I don't know if it was because it was a weekend interview day or not, but I was not impressed. I got accepted but still wanted to go to Temple. Then Temple offered me a sizeable merit scholarship to sweeten the deal further.

I never interacted with Jeff students on my clinicals. I worked with Drexel and PCOM students fairly often on rotations at a local hospital where all three schools said students to rotate. Obviously, I think Temple's the best, but it's not like the Drexel or PCOM students were incompetent. Far from it, and some of my best med school friends are actually Drexel students I rotated with. I really don't think you could go wrong either way and I'd go based on feeling of it.

d165129c077b7333cc03b5ecfffda74f1a5607232f9ab6652348d76111f55a9f.jpg

You guys, I graduate in a week. The expiration date on asking me for medical school advice is rapidly approaching.

FWIW, I only applied to the Philly area schools. Penn rejected me pre-interview (whateva!), and I never sent my secondary to PCOM. I interviewed at Jeff, Temple and Drexel. Jeff was my first interviewing and my top choice going in to the process. I left feeling like I choked on my adcom interview and, while I liked it, I didn't think that was anywhere near how much I was supposed to like a school. I got waitlisted but never made any attempt to get off it because my next interview was Temple and I loved it. I just felt like I belonged. The staff and student body were much more down to earth, sincere, and not Stepford-y like the Jeff students (sorry, guys, that's the vibe I got). I knew if I got in there I didn't care about anywhere else. I got in, but I still went to my Drexel interview. It was an odd day. I don't know if it was because it was a weekend interview day or not, but I was not impressed. I got accepted but still wanted to go to Temple. Then Temple offered me a sizeable merit scholarship to sweeten the deal further.

I never interacted with Jeff students on my clinicals. I worked with Drexel and PCOM students fairly often on rotations at a local hospital where all three schools said students to rotate. Obviously, I think Temple's the best, but it's not like the Drexel or PCOM students were incompetent. Far from it, and some of my best med school friends are actually Drexel students I rotated with. I really don't think you could go wrong either way and I'd go based on feeling of it.

It's interesting that you had more positive feelings about a school where you felt you had a more positive interview.

I'm being slightly sarcastic, yes, but I think the interview coupled with student interactions do a lot to convince students about fit while having very little to do with the reality of being a student at the respective institutions.

Last edited:
I'm being slightly sarcastic, yes, but I think the invite coupled with student interactions do a lot to convince students about fit while having very little to do with the reality of being a student at the respective institutions.

My Jefferson interview day had the most student interaction out of any of my other interviews and I left with a very positive impression of the school. Everyone there seemed really cheery and happy about the place. My Temple interview I only interacted with the 3 student tour guides and my student interviewer, yet I still got a better overall vibe from Temple. Second look day was the same. So I agree you can't really tell what it's like to be a student there until you actually attend, but interview days are the best indicators we have.

coupled with student interactions do a lot to convince students about fit while having very little to do with the reality of being a student at the respective institutions.

Makes sense, same for undergrad. Everyone talks about the campus feeling like a fit or whatever, but come on what are the odds that you're seeing what it's really like? Youre doing prospective student events and staying with the people who volunteered to host prospective students

Youre doing prospective student events and staying with the people who volunteered to host prospective students

This is what was extra alarming about my Drexel student interviewer telling me he didn't like it there.

This is what was extra alarming about my Drexel student interviewer telling me he didn't like it there.
Wow, must have taken the job from a sense of duty to warn others away or something !

But the other problem is total lack of comparison. If someone isn't happy at their MD school how can they know they'd be any happier somewhere else? I'd have to assume a lot of what people said was love/hate of med school, not of that med school

*adds Jefferson to the application list* 1hunna!

It's interesting that you had more positive feelings about a school where you felt you had a more positive interview.

I'm being slightly sarcastic, yes, but I think the interview coupled with student interactions do a lot to convince students about fit while having very little to do with the reality of being a student at the respective institutions.
I graduate on Wednesday. At this point I'm pretty damn sure I made the right choice.

Any1 have anything to add regarding this? Truth? False?
I'm going here in the fall so im curious

Wow, must have taken the job from a sense of duty to warn others away or something !

But the other problem is total lack of comparison. If someone isn't happy at their MD school how can they know they'd be any happier somewhere else? I'd have to assume a lot of what people said was love/hate of med school, not of that med school

This is true of all "should I go to ___ or ___" threads. Nobody has legitimate firsthand experience of more than one medical school.