how would you rank these programs?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by AThousandCranes, Dec 16, 2008.

1. AThousandCranes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    trying to sift through how to rank programs and have a vague order in my mind - just curious to see other's opinions/thoughts about programs in terms of best residency training/fellowship match opportunity (i.e. wilmer obviously has great fellowship matches, but the residents seemed below average in terms of happiness quotient, etc.)

how would you rank these in terms of best all around program for residency training? (ignore location) - granted there's no perfect program

baylor
    columbia
    cornell
    doheny
    michigan
    nyu
    wilmer

#1 AThousandCranes, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. rubensan

rubensan Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if you are self-motivated, learn by doing, have a strong desire to see a ton of pathology and want to operate a lot (not just phacos) then you should rank doheny and baylor very high. i interviewed at wilmer, but can't remember surgical #s, etc, but obviously an outstanding program.

3. MacularStar

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Rank Wilmer low. I did not interview there... but did an away rotation there. If you don't mind being miserable for 3 years then go for it... you will have many doors open to you if you go there. It looks like you have some better options though ie. Doheny, Michigan.

4. MacularStar

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ie. when I rotated at Wilmer I mentioned to one of the residents that I was interested in the program and they said "you should be careful what you wish for." Several other residents/fellows made similar warning statements that were red flags to me. I have many other specific examples, but would jeapardize my anonyminity if I disclosed them.

5. Corn Dog

Corn Dog Dream Big
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    so did you get an invitation for an interview at least?

6. azzarah

azzarah sleepy!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I believe you will be very well-trained coming out of any of those programs...I would just rank them based on how you felt about the place. Of the places you mentioned, I only interviewed at Doheny, Wilmer, and Baylor when I was applying and feel that all 3 were pretty equivalent in terms of training and fellowship matches....