Howard Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as20gp

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!
I was just wondering if anyone has interviewed for Howard late September/early October and is waiting for a decision...
I interviewed Oct 2nd and was sent an email saying I should hear something around this week...Has anyone heard any news? im getting nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there on Sept 19th, and I got an email last week letting me know i was going to committee thursday morning (like Oct 11th, not 18th) and my decision would be sent out monday...and i'm still waiting to recieve it, but the mail sucks where i live. I'm going crazy i NEED to know haha. I loved the school so much! Good luck

Okay so i called today because i had a question, and they told me they had mailed out my decision today, and right before she hung up i was like wait! you can't tell me what it was over the phone can you? and she said "oh, yes, i'm sorry, it was an acceptance!!" AHHHHH i got in to Howard!!!! Good luck to everyone else who wants it, i really really liked it there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so i called today because i had a question, and they told me they had mailed out my decision today, and right before she hung up i was like wait! you can't tell me what it was over the phone can you? and she said "oh, yes, i'm sorry, it was an acceptance!!" AHHHHH i got in to Howard!!!! Good luck to everyone else who wants it, i really really liked it there.

CONGRATUALTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first of many.:hardy::luck::)

Congratulations!!! :hardy: I'm in the midst of completing my secondary for them. :p

YAYYYY! Congrats!!!!!

Howard's a great place! My dad did his MD thing there. Congrats!

3.2 overall gpa black male student
28s 10vr 9-9 mcat
nurse 2.5 years so far worked full time during school
letters from 2 md's
decent ec's

should i apply to howard this late?
I know the earlier you apply the better your chances are with lower stats such as mine, but do any of you thin howard would look at a candidate like me this late in the cycle?

If you apply now, and if you are lucky, you MIGHT get an interview invite in march. And who even knows about an acceptance. I say that you save your money and apply earlier to give yourself more options, instead of placing all of your eggs in HUs nest. When you apply early to HU, they will give you an interview pretty early. I had mine in early oct. last year. Think about it, pray about it, and weigh your pros and cons, but I always prefer doing everything that YOU can (which includes applying early) to ensure that you get in, and letting the rest play out for itself.

I submitted app last nite. Howard isn't the only school I applied to, but it's one of the 3 or 4 MD schools I like and it seems to be more "in reach" than say Harvard or Washington U. I already submitted AACOMAS a couple of weeks ago but if I don't get in atleast I know I tried and I'll just strengthen app and be ready to apply much earlier next cycle. Thanks for advice.

hiya

we have similiar stats and I am a nurse as well.... I think that you may have a better time if you apply earlier but you never know....but if you can afford to do it twice then go for it... and if it doesn't work out well for you this year...then you know what you can do differently next year! take a look at my md apps...we are very similiar! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!:luck::luck:

you can ask me any advice because I am a nurse....and if you read through SDN some ppl say that nurses have a hard time getting into med school...I can give you a real perpective on it :)

Mel:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I been waiting for Howard, but they have not get in contact with me (after secondary, early September)..I call one time to check on some transcripts, and the lady was very rude..that was a turn off:thumbdown:

I haven't heard anything from Howard either. I interviewed at both Morehouse and Meharry and was hoping to get Howard in there, too...but no love yet.

I have been complete at Howard since early September and I have not heard anything yet:(. I'm also an international applicant which puts me at a disadvantage I know...I applied early thinking it would help. Does anyone know if as an international applicant we get interviewed later or ???? I spoke with the dean of admissions this summer and she told me that by Dec last application cycle the class was almost all selected...just saying. Anywho it's in God's hands now.

I have been complete at Howard since early September and I have not heard anything yet:(. I'm also an international applicant which puts me at a disadvantage I know...I applied early thinking it would help. Does anyone know if as an international applicant we get interviewed later or ???? I spoke with the dean of admissions this summer and she told me that by Dec last application cycle the class was almost all selected...just saying. Anywho it's in God's hands now.
I interviewed on Sept. 19th and there was one international applicant on my day, so i know they don't save all of them for the end, but maybe they do interview more international applicants towards the end. I was also complete there very early, as i sent out my secondary two days after they released it and interviewed on their second interview day of the season, so that might have made a difference for that applicant.

Thanks aaj117. I just have to wait;)

Just got my howard secondary today. I have it almost done b/c i was working on it before. I hope with my low stats they won't take the money and run lol.

i haven't gotten anything from howard at all... i submitted the day it came out (8/15 if my memory serves me correctly)... anyone else in this boat??

I sent my secondary early in Septemeber and nothing yet

I just recently submitted my app...so I don't expect to hear anything back...but it would be nice. It's one of my top choices!

ok so i open my mailbox to an acceptance letter today! yay! I am thrilled. I must participate in the PARP program but I am not at all complaining (although it starts before my college graduation hahah)!!!

keep hope alive (sorry, im corny) and good luck to all of you

-a

ok so i open my mailbox to an acceptance letter today! yay! I am thrilled. I must participate in the PARP program but I am not at all complaining (although it starts before my college graduation hahah)!!!

-a
congratulations!! Post this in the Underrepresented in healthcare acceptance thread! You'll see there are a good number of us that might meet you there. Congrats again!

-a
Did you tell them you wanted to do the PARP program? I would love to do a pre matric program (at HU, but any school since I think it will make the first year easier). How was your interview?

Did you tell them you wanted to do the PARP program? I would love to do a pre matric program (at HU, but any school since I think it will make the first year easier). How was your interview?

Wait - can you request to be in the PARP program? They said they had to select you...one couldn't request to be in it....

CLARIFY PLEASE

hey sorry

no you can't request to be in the program. When I was interviewing I was told it was for students who haven't taken a lot of science courses besides the pre-req's or for students whose GPAs or MCAT score were a little low. I am assuming I was chosen because I am a psyc major and my MCAT score could be a little higher....who knows.

Thought I'd bump this...had anyone heard any good news lately??

Hey,
I have not heard anything. I know you can be invited for an interview as late as feb 28. So I guess we have to wait. I am a little worried :(since I was complete early sept.I wonder if they even have many spots left.
It's in God's hands now.
Best wishes to all that are waiting...

I hadn't heard from Howard since I was completed back in October. I emailed them about 2 weeks ago and I was told that my application was going to be re-screened or something like that.

Lys

Hey,
I have not heard anything. I know you can be invited for an interview as late as feb 28. So I guess we have to wait. I am a little worried :(since I was complete early sept.I wonder if they even have many spots left.
It's in God's hands now.
Best wishes to all that are waiting...
I know that an interview into March, and sometimes April. I know of people who were accepted the week before orientation after being officially waitlisted or just not having had an official decision at that point in time...so I know it's not early...but it's not the 24th hour. Although I guess the longer they wait to interview us the more apt it's for a waitlist position...but I'm still hopeful. 2008 is my year come hell or high water. I've been working pretty hard over the past several years so I'm both hoping and praying that my work will not go unnoticed. Since I haven't been complete all that long I figure I have some more waiting to do, even though I'm am really hoping that I'll be invited by the end of this month for February. I'm a big fan of Howard and my relatives have attended various schools within the Univ so I also want to be a part of that tradition....you know? Not to mention that by all accounts despite how some may view the quality of the facilities, graduates leave HU really knowing what they are doing.

------------------

Last edited:
I just got invited for Feb interview. I completed my secondary in early October . I can't wait to visit DC and Howard. Anyone know the interview:acceptance ratio? Good luck to everyone and wish me luck.
Congrats! Argh! I'm sooo anxious, I realllllly want to go to HU....so needless to say I need an interiew to show/prove I'll be a good fit for the school, and that the school is right for me and the stage I am in my life.

Alan06: did you follow up with them since you were complete or your only correspondance was the your app is complete email?

either way I'm happy for you! Hope to join you at the interview ;)

No, I just waited like everyone.

Congrats! Argh! I'm sooo anxious, I realllllly want to go to HU....so needless to say I need an interiew to show/prove I'll be a good fit for the school, and that the school is right for me and the stage I am in my life.

Alan06: did you follow up with them since you were complete or your only correspondance was the your app is complete email?

either way I'm happy for you! Hope to join you at the interview ;)

I've been complete since late September and still no word...I really want to go to this school too.

I've got a dumb question for you guys: Do Canadian students count as international or out of state?

I've been complete since late September and still no word...I really want to go to this school too.

I've got a dumb question for you guys: Do Canadian students count as international or out of state?

Some times as internationals, sometimes out of state, sometimes in a grey area between that. It depends on the school I think. A few don't accept international applicants, but allow Canadians who studied in Canada.

Howard... where the love?:(

Lys

Howard is a private medical school so state residency is actually a non-issue and everyone pays the same tuition. The important thing is that Howard accepts Canadian students. Howard is also very, very slow and will offer interviews into May and June.

each school should have this info on their website, if not a quick call to the admissions office or email should do the trick.

Lys: I know what you mean! HU if you're listening, Lys and I would really, really, really like interviews please...you'll like us, honest! :-D

Lys: I know what you mean! HU if you're listening, Lys and I would really, really, really like interviews please...you'll like us, honest! :-D[/quote]

Ditto. You'll love us Canucks after you talk to me and I promise you we're all really nice and are dying to hear from you.

Howard is a private medical school so state residency is actually a non-issue and everyone pays the same tuition. The important thing is that Howard accepts Canadian students. Howard is also very, very slow and will offer interviews into May and June.

Thanks :) You helped make the waiting seem a little less hopeless.

Count me in as well. I would love to hear from Howard:D

I have the information from the 2005 entering class, and their statistics for non-residents were:

Applied: 3785
Interviewed: 273
Matriculated: 104

of course more are accepted than actually matriculate...but any info anyone wants, I have the book with all of it, so I can let you all know.

I have also had my file complete since october, and I haven't heard anything yet...I would really like to know!!! I've been getting really discouraged lately, and it really isn't good to do, especially with interviews coming up! I know that I should be happy that I have two interviews in the next two weeks, but all I can think of is that I have two letters saying that they have 'deferred a decision on an interview' and one letter saying that I won't hear about acceptance for another 6 weeks...I really need to get out of my little slump right now, because it is definitely not healthy!

Good luck to everyone!!!

good luck!! i hope you guys hear soon! i really like the school and dc!! and its great to hear other students who want to go here too.

i was wondering if any of you guys know where i can find howard's match list? its one of my top choices and i'm just doing some more research =) thanks! take care.

good luck!! i hope you guys hear soon! i really like the school and dc!! and its great to hear other students who want to go here too.

i was wondering if any of you guys know where i can find howard's match list? its one of my top choices and i'm just doing some more research =) thanks! take care.

I will caution anyone about choosing a medical school based on Match Lists. Matching into either specialty or program is a characteristic of an individual and not school dependent. Residency programs look for people who have performed well in medical school and on USMLE Step I. People choose programs and specialties based on factors such as location, interest in specialty and whether or not they feel they can be a good "fit" in the program.

The other thing to realize is that cycles in competitiveness of a particular specialty or program vary from year to year (again based on the interest of those participating in the Match that year). When I started medical school in 1998, anesthesia was generally open to anyone who was breathing. By the time I graduated, anesthesia was quite competitive (drastic change over three years).

Pick your medical school based on where you believe you can do your best work because in the end, you are judged as an individual and not because of the school that you have attended. As long as your school is LCME-accredited and you like the curriculum (problem-based, systems-based, integrated or classical), you have chosen a good school. Add in things like being able to get to and from class easily (good public transportation), good study/library facilities and a dedicated faculty that is easily accessible, you have a good school to attend where you can thrive.

It's nice to have a choice of schools but don't read more into a Match list than the choices of the folks that particular year either in specialty or program.

thanks for the insight! i just wanted to know where students went, if most stayed in the east coast. i might want to return back home in ca for residency or even stay in the east coast. options are great!

I'm in the same boat as a lot of you guys. I still haven't heard back from Howard after submitting my secondary in October. Is this common? Howard is my number 1 choice & I love the DC area. When are most people invited for interviews? I am very committed to helping the underserved, but I am not a minority. Will this hurt my chances of getting an interview at Howard? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm really not sure what you can do, but to answer your question about not being a minority, I'm not a URM and I was accepted. I was complete end of August and offered an interview beginning of Sept. DC is great and the school is amazing. I also have extensive experience and a strong commitment to working with the underserved and that is why Howard is one of my top choices. So I'm sure that will help you get an interview. Best of luck! Maybe many of us on here will be classmates! That would be great!! Here's to class of 2012!

I'm in the same boat as a lot of you guys. I still haven't heard back from Howard after submitting my secondary in October. Is this common? Howard is my number 1 choice & I love the DC area. When are most people invited for interviews? I am very committed to helping the underserved, but I am not a minority. Will this hurt my chances of getting an interview at Howard? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!