Howard!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kdiddy

Kobe-Jack 24
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many non-minority students does Howard take? I am an Asian, would I be considered as a minority?

Members don't see this ad.

How many non-minority students does Howard take? I am an Asian, would I be considered as a minority?

i believe you would be considered a minority... but it doesnt matter what race/ethnicity you are... even if they did take that into consideration (which is illegal)... no one would know an exact number of how many "minorities" they would take because its never a part of the consideration.... equal opportunities and no discrimination...

i believe you would be considered a minority... but it doesnt matter what race/ethnicity you are... even if they did take that into consideration (which is illegal)... no one would know an exact number of how many "minorities" they would take because its never a part of the consideration.... equal opportunities and no discrimination...

Ha! "even if they did..." lol
I called them (Howard) back in July and asked them what are the chances of my, a white male, getting in there...they said almost impossible. That was after I told them my stats...oh and by the way...I got in to every school (more than 3) I applied to...so my stats can't be that bad...

Members don't see this ad :)
they actually told you that? isn't that against the law?

The chances of an Asian getting into Howard are actually pretty high. A friend of mine that began Howard last fall said that her class is mostly Asian. She said that there are only like 10-12 Black Females. I don't know how many males. And also if you take a tour of the Dental School, they have pictures of previous graduated classes and in a coulple of the picts you can almost count the Black students on one hand. The class was majority Asian.

Are you sure your friend is at Howard and not Harvard. Phil...I hope you are joking. Certain schools accept large percentages of minorities. For example, the Ivy league schools and other top ranked schools have a very large percentage of Asians, 40 to 50 percent of the class. Other schools, such as Meharry and Howard, fill up their classes with mostly blacks and hispanics. Accepting minorities over non minorities is not illigal (at least for a private school), even if the minority's grades and DAT is significantly lower than the non-minority's (and I am not referring to Asian minorities as they need even higher scores than "non-minorities"). Listen, if this practice was illigal, I would be a millionaire already because of all of the lawsuits I would have filed. Its a tough world. A white person with a perfect 30 on the DAT would have a lot of trouble getting into Howard, even though the avg DAT there is like a 16.5. If you are Asian, I would also say forget about it.

Are you sure your friend is at Howard and not Harvard. Phil...I hope you are joking. Certain schools accept large percentages of minorities. For example, the Ivy league schools and other top ranked schools have a very large percentage of Asians, 40 to 50 percent of the class. Other schools, such as Meharry and Howard, fill up their classes with mostly blacks and hispanics. Accepting minorities over non minorities is not illigal (at least for a private school), even if the minority's grades and DAT is significantly lower than the non-minority's (and I am not referring to Asian minorities as they need even higher scores than "non-minorities"). Listen, if this practice was illigal, I would be a millionaire already because of all of the lawsuits I would have filed. Its a tough world. A white person with a perfect 30 on the DAT would have a lot of trouble getting into Howard, even though the avg DAT there is like a 16.5. If you are Asian, I would also say forget about it.

wow... i seriously was not joking... i never knew schools selected their students based on ethnic background... i was under the impression that all US institutions provide equal opportunities to everyone that applies... but i guess im being a little naive... haha.... that sucks

they actually told you that? isn't that against the law?

No. It's only against the law if they tell a minority that. They can discriminate against white people all they want.

You are 100% RIGHT! I could not have said this any better. Asians are not minorities at all. My GPA/DAT was waaay higher then Meharry's and I was waitlisted!! Like I said before if you are white or Asian your chances of getting into HARVARD is higher then meharry or howard! (look at your new ADEA book...85%-90% of those two schools are black) (I was one out of the TWO asians at the meharry interview!!!:scared: )

Let this be known if it isn't already: I am no Howard advocate.

However, there are some discrepancies in this thread that must be addressed: Namely, there are a ****load of Asians at Howard, seriously. I can't say the same about whites or even latinos. But Asians are well-represented. I guarantee that there won't be that many blacks in any majority white dental school.

As far as Meharry, I can't speak on it either way. I just don't know since I have never stepped foot on the campus.

If you attend Howard, your complexion won't factor in when it comes to the administrative issues: That is what will piss you off.

so i'm confused. i thought Howard was an all black institution. i know on the Meharry website, they state the same thing.
So, would I have no luck getting into Howard because I am a South-Asian female??

There is no such thing as an all black school. There are HBCUs (historically black colleges and universities) which Howard and Meharry are. This means that the majority of the students are black, but conversely means that the rest of the student body must be comprised of other races (e.g. asian, white, latino, etc).

Get it?

Like I said before: Howard has a bunch of Asians; believe me.
If you are hellbent on going to Howard, you will get in just like any other applicant who is who hell bent at any other school.

If you are hellbent on going to Howard, you will get in just like any other applicant who is who hell bent at any other school.

Not entirely true, right? The majority of applicants don't get into their top-choice school. There is something to be said for a winning attitutde, but also something to be said for being realistic.

Do these schools accept canadian students? Also, do they accept OAC (high school) english as a substitute for a university english course?

I was actually surprised by the number of Asians who are in my class (2010). The dean told us that we probably have the most diverse group ever. Depending how you define the term "asians" the population may be around 1/4 of the class. we also have about 60% female in the class. From what i heard, they accepted quite a few asians for the class of 2011 as well, but i could be wrong. We will see after my second year starts in the fall.

I was actually surprised by the number of Asians who are in my class (2010). The dean told us that we probably have the most diverse group ever. Depending how you define the term "asians" the population may be around 1/4 of the class. we also have about 60% female in the class. From what i heard, they accepted quite a few asians for the class of 2011 as well, but i could be wrong. We will see after my second year starts in the fall.

hey quick question, does howard accept cc credit on prereqs?! yes/no
thanks
-ld

my dads a cracker and went there and I think he went there because it was the only school he could get in. it definitely wasn't a toss up between howard and harvard. I really don't think the school is as competitive for non-minorities as you guys think. bu this is anecdotal evidence.

hey.guys i will be going and joining to Howard. i am looking for a place to live. anybody wants a roommate?

I got these #s from ADEA book

Howard: Enrollees - 90

Asian American - 21

Meharry: Enrollees - 62

Asian American - 5

That shows that I have a very good chance @ Howard.....I am an asian as well