How's your NBME progression coming? scores and trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrancisvsGoljan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking it would be a great idea to track how NBMEs are going and what question bank people are using. It gives us a good way to figure out how we're doing individually. I know it's not based on just sdn and there are a ton of people. But it's better than nothing. Also how long you've been studying. I guess I'll start!

After 1 week of studying
USMLEWorld: used 15% and overall correct is 48%
NBME 1: 172.5 :scared:

I know this is not great but hopefully a good starting point. I spent 2 days on biochem and one on behavioral science and the other times just doing questions. my overall goal is a 230. we'll see how it goes....

comment are highly appreciated. thanks! I'll keep this post updated. I hope others do too.:):):)

Members don't see this ad.

You must of went to the PASS Program.:)

Anyways,

3 weeks of studying
UW: 35% done with average of 57%.
NBME 5 (5/22/08): 190. :( And this is supposed to be the easy one.

I'm interested in knowing about this too.

I'm doing both UW and Kaplan, and I guess i'm roughly half way through both.

5 and 6 are the new NBME ones right?

So you just take it and get a score report back w/ an estimated 3 digit score???

I'm interested in knowing about this too.

I'm doing both UW and Kaplan, and I guess i'm roughly half way through both.

5 and 6 are the new NBME ones right?

So you just take it and get a score report back w/ an estimated 3 digit score???

Yes. And yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took NBME 2 over the weekend and got a 201.
I'm on my 5th day of studying today and plan on taking the Kaplan assessment tomorrow.
My exam is on the 16th of June and I hope to get a 230+.
I'm doing Qbank, Student Consult, and Uworld (UWorld is my major one, the other ones I'm using occasionally to give me knew questions as I run out of them in UWorld.)
I've only don't around 10% of UWorld and I'm at 60% - but thats me picking questions in the categories that I've studied. Right now I've covered Pharm rather well, Biochem, Behavioral Science, and Embryology.

Pre-study NBME 1 - 216 (or 218 - can't remember)

9 days in: UW cumulative average with 30% done (all random blocks) = 61%.

Probably going to take another NBME this weekend.

Goal: whatever I can get. I've got 4 more weeks. Trying to keep sanity intact.

Started Studying 5/16 (after Finals). Schedule is as follows (each day ends with 3 hours of random block of UW):

2 days of Physio (BRS + FA)
4 days of Path (RR + FA)
2 days of Behavioral (HY + FA)
4 days of Micro/Immuno (Ridiculously Simple & HY + FA)
4 days of Pharm (deja + FA... mostly FA and notecards I'm making)
3 days of Biochem (RR + HY + FA)
2 days of Anatomy (Road Map, HY Cell and Molecular, and Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously simple + FA)
1 day for 2 NBME's
3 days for review

NBME 2 (5/23): 460/209
NBME 5 (5/24): 520/224
NBME 6 (6/4):
NBME 3 (6/7):

UW: 32% done, average of 56% correct.

Shooting for a 240+... still have to do biochem and anatomy/cell while reviewing pharm daily (weakest subject). Plan on taking another 2 NBME's (6 and 3, as these are supposed to be most predictive) on 6/7. Test is 6/11. Freedom is 6/12.

Last edited:
NBME 1: 211 (8 weeks out, right before studying)
NBME 2: 228 (4 weeks out)
NBME 3: 234 (3 weeks out)

UW average is 59% with 25% remaining.

Test date is June 16th, and my goal is 230. I hope it can be done! :scared:

Last edited:

If you're already at 234 3 weeks out, it won't be a problem. Make sure you don't burn out, though. 8 weeks is a long time.

Congratulations on ur great progress. I'll be taking NBME 1 pretty soon. I decided to look thru FA first and then see how much I actually learned by taking a test. I hope i make a min of 200 on NBME 1 otherwise I'll be demoralised. BTW do they offer self -assessment of Form 1? Actually, I'm a bit confused now..Is Form 1 the same as the free 150 questions offered by the USMLE website?

NBME 5 - 230 (5 weeks out, few days after path, pharm, micro, and icm finals)
NBME 6 - 242 (4.5 weeks out)
NBME 3 - 245 (3 weeks out)

I'm worried I've already hit my peak... Which is to say I just hope my score doesn't go down; I'd be very happy with a 245. Probably going to take one more NBME when I've got about a week to go.

took NBME 3 after classes ended May 18th - 760 (262) that was dumb luck thinking about taking NBME 5 this weekend.

Just finished kaplan qbank - last 300 took 50 random timed - avg 82% with cumulative average 79%

Uworld definitely makes you think more and hopefully i'll start doing 50 random timed may be starting tommorrow. so far i've done 600 (usually doing 15-20 timed random here and there during classes)

june 12th Dday :scared:

btw, have you guys tried registering for practice session at prometric? its ridiculous how its all booked!! the date I can get is a week after my test (much good that'll do)

Members don't see this ad :)
took NBME 3 after classes ended May 18th - 760 (262) that was dumb luck thinking about taking NBME 5 this weekend.

Just finished kaplan qbank - last 300 took 50 random timed - avg 82% with cumulative average 79%

Uworld definitely makes you think more and hopefully i'll start doing 50 random timed may be starting tommorrow. so far i've done 600 (usually doing 15-20 timed random here and there during classes)

btw, have you guys tried registering for practice session at prometric? its ridiculous how its all booked!! the date I can get is a week after my test (much good that'll do)

No dumb luck there. Superstar :cool:

Anything over 250 isn't "just dumb luck". Others on this board are saying forms 1 and 5 are too easy and 2, 3, 4 and 6 are the ones to do. Just throwing that out there.

Incidentally, I just took form 3 today and thought I would walk away sub-200. Didn't feel real confident about that one.

Anything over 250 isn't "just dumb luck". Others on this board are saying forms 1 and 5 are too easy and 2, 3, 4 and 6 are the ones to do. Just throwing that out there.

Incidentally, I just took form 3 today and thought I would walk away sub-200. Didn't feel real confident about that one.

in all honesty, when I took NBME 3 i marked like 25 questions in each section!

even when I do Qbank or Uworld, i'm never 100% sure. Most of my answers are "ok it looks good/that has to be it - what else could it be?/ yea the rest don't make sense (without knowing why though)" types. Educated guessing is a good chunk of my anwers :laugh:

I tought NBME 3 was quite tough, but in retrospect, all I can say is that the NBME subject shelf correlate with these forms score wise. Thanks for the info on other NBMEs. I'll take 6 then.

Been studying for 10 days. Have about 3 weeks to go. Took a school sponsored paper NBME: 180.:confused: Just took NBME - 6 today: 198.:eek: Looking for as high as I can get, but realistically just hoping for 220. After these two consecutive slaps in the face, not sure I'm going to do it. At least I'm fairly confident that with another 3 weeks, I'll pass on the first go.:scared:

I have been studying about 2 weeks now and I just took my first NBME (form 4) today, and I got a 500 (219) on it.

Uworld avg sits at about 56% with about 44% completed.
Kaplan Qbank (less accurate since I worked through some of these during systems) is a 63% with about 70% completed.

D-day is June 5th for the USMLE and June 9th for the COMLEX (I have not even looked at manipulative medicine yet!!!).

Realistic Goal: 220
Ecstatic Goal: 230+

Keep your noses down and BTHO USMLE!!!!!

wow, your nbme's are literally two points higher than mine for each, and i took them at the same time as you. What are you averaging in uworld right now for individual blocks? Im getting 62-68% but i keep thinking i should be higher if i want 230+. I still have three weeks so my mind tells me i should be okay but i just have trouble believing it.:laugh:

Has anyone on here who has taken NBME self assessments also taken the UW self assessment? I signed up for it along with the QBank since it was $5 less together, and am thinking about taking it soon. Does it seem to be pretty in-line with NBME as far as the scoring goes?

Has anyone on here who has taken NBME self assessments also taken the UW self assessment? I signed up for it along with the QBank since it was $5 less together, and am thinking about taking it soon. Does it seem to be pretty in-line with NBME as far as the scoring goes?

4/3 NBME 4: 580/236
4/18 CBSE (NBME paper test): 88/245
5/4 NBME 3: 600/240

UW Assessment 5/24: 720/258

UW Cumulative avg: 67%
Avg of last 5 UW block: 75%

I hope UW assessment is right on, LOL. I just took COMLEX a couple days ago so I've been studying a lot. I guess either enough to increase my score 18 points, or UW is somewhat over predicting. I guess I'll find out. ;)

Here are my results so far. I've been studying for a week now,

NBME 1 before studying: 500 (220)
NBME 2 after 1 week: 710 (257)

I'm going to be taking 3 and 4 over the next couple of weeks, so we'll see how they go. I hear that they are much harder than 1 and 2, and more like the real test. I'm shooting for a 240, and my world average so far is 70% with about 25% completed.

I'll post an update after my next NBME

I hope UW assessment is right on, LOL. I just took COMLEX a couple days ago so I've been studying a lot. I guess either enough to increase my score 18 points, or UW is somewhat over predicting. I guess I'll find out. ;)

I know someone else posted that they scored 244 on the UW assessment and then 248 on the real thing and I think the dates of those were pretty close (can't remember the thread) so I am guessing you are in position to truly dominate step 1.

just took nbme 6 and got 580 (236). june 20 is my test date. just wondering for those who have taken form 6 what you thought about it in terms of content and difficulty to the other forms. i thought there were quite a few questions that were left field and i had no idea about them. i'm kinda worried that i might be hitting my potential since i took the csbe in march and my score was a 228 so i'm not improving that much :-(

Good work so far! When is the test date for you?

5/5- started studying. essentially just FA and UW with supplementation from kaplan books but I don't read them fully just to add on material.

5/11 nbme 1: 210
5/16 simexam: 232
5/24 nbme 4: 228
5/31 nbme5- ???
6/7 nbme6- ???
6/9 STEP1- ???

Ive got about 2 more weeks to go. I feel kind of capped right now, but hopefully next saturdays test will go up a little. We'll see I guess.
the goal is a 237, but I'll be happy with anything around that.

good luck

Does anyone know how the percentages on the NBME tests related to the USMLE scores? I got an 83% on form 2 but have no idea what that translates into. Thanks in advance.

(8 weeks out) Took CBSE right at the beginning of studying: 83/230
(4 weeks out) NBME 4: 259 (730)
(4 weeks out) School gave us same CBSE: 99
(3 weeks out) NBME 6: 265+ (800)

Right now doing UW. Cum. avg=84%
Last 5 tests: 90%

Test 5/30

D Wade, you're a beast man. You're going to own that test dirty. :smuggrin:
We've got to all hang out again and de-stress before starting third year (the kendall people).

As for me,
CBSE = 73, before really studying much
UW, about 90% completed as I read on the side = cumulative 68% correct (still missing some anatomy, behavior and biostats)

Taking an on-site practice 150 Q on 5-27, (I don't know what test it is exactly, it's the "official practice" from the people who run the thing..mostly to get oriented to the test site and rules)

Also taking NBME 6 probably a week before the test. Test date is 6-16.
Shooting for 240+, but would realistically be happy with 230+.

Ok...UW break complete....more questions await... :sleep:

Test 5/30

:eek:

DW, can you take my test for me? You make it seem too easy! I don't even know why you're still studying....:confused:. You should be on a catamaran sipping margaritas in the Caribbeans by now!!!

:eek:

DW, can you take my test for me? You make it seem too easy! I don't even know why you're still studying....:confused:. You should be on a catamaran sipping margaritas in the Caribbeans by now!!!

Unfortunately I can't take that as my score :mad:

I have a good short-term memory but I forget facts pretty quickly so I really need to hit micro, pharm, and neuro again before my exam.

NBME 1 on 4/19 (before I started intensive studying): 550/230
NBME 2 tonight 5/24 (after about a week of decent study): 570/234

UW: cumulative 57%, half completed, random timed blocks of 50, all before I began any serious study.

Goal: 250, will be happy with anything North of 240

Had some family issues that interrupted my original study schedule (thus the 1 week of study in a month span), but I'm making progress now. I started on my weakest subjects (biochem, molecular, immunology, and micro) and have hit them with subject specific resources. Now I feel ready to tear into RR Path and FA... hopefully that will result in a reasonable increase in my scores. I feel like I'm missing a ton of "easy" questions on both UW and NBME - the ones where I think "yeah, I knew that a couple of months ago, and I'll get to that next week..." Hopefully that low hanging fruit will help!

Urgh! I took Kaplan's full length simulated exam today. I got a little lost as to how many block's I'd completed while taking it and thought I had used up all of my break time. I ended up finishing it an hour early.... only to find that all they do is give you a percentage. I really wanted some sort of guestimated score so I could know how I was doing (in comparison to last week).

I'm happy to say that my score in each section was constant - so I didn't fatigue too much. Thats good to know.

But next week I have another full length exam that may end up just giving me a percentage.... its not through NBME, its through my school, and I'm required to take it. The week after (and a week before my exam) I'll be taking NBME 3 - but I'd like to have an idea how I'm doing before then..... but I really don't want to take ANOTHER exam.

Urgh....

If UW has taught me anything, it's that it tends to UNDERpredict. Either way, good luck (but I doubt you need that) :cool:

Thanks, I hope that's true, but believe me, I still need all the luck I can get. :D Honestly, after every test I always feel like a 150 will pop up.

Good luck to you, too. I think you'll easily be scoring in excess of your goal by the 16th.

Test 5/30

Awesome. You are going to destroy this test. I'm just glad you're taking it the day after me so my test isn't in the same pile. :D

i took nbme 1 before i started studying 1 week ago and got a 540 (228) - I am going to wait another week before doing nbme 5, then do nbme 4 and 6 before test time, probably in that order...i reeeally want a 230.

3 weeks left, just took NBME 5 (why I don't know, random pick I guess)...

510 (221). I'd really like a 240+, but don't know if I'll improve 20 points in 3 weeks. I guess its possible.

I've done 60% of Kaplan (I really hate their questions)...and have a cumulative of 63% (50 q, all random)

And I've done 40% of USMLE World (64%, 50 q, all random)....

I was hoping for alittle higher on the NBME, but I probably took it at a dumb time (afternoon), after I had studied all morning, and I absolutely FLEW through it. I did the 200 in about 2 hours...hopefully that means I made stupid mistakes that I won't make on the real thing.

Think 20 pts in 3 weeks is doable???

3 weeks left, just took NBME 5 (why I don't know, random pick I guess)...

510 (221). I'd really like a 240+, but don't know if I'll improve 20 points in 3 weeks. I guess its possible.

I've done 60% of Kaplan (I really hate their questions)...and have a cumulative of 63% (50 q, all random)

And I've done 40% of USMLE World (64%, 50 q, all random)....

I was hoping for alittle higher on the NBME, but I probably took it at a dumb time (afternoon), after I had studied all morning, and I absolutely FLEW through it. I did the 200 in about 2 hours...hopefully that means I made stupid mistakes that I won't make on the real thing.

Think 20 pts in 3 weeks is doable???

I'm hoping to improve my score 20 points or so in 2 weeks (from NBME 5), so let's hope so!

5/11- Pre-study - NBME 1 - 490 (216)
5/25 after 2 weeks- NBME 2 - 630 (245)
UW - 66% remaining, 62% correct.
Test date - 6/20

I am pretty shocked by the jump from form 1 to 2. I didn't take 1 all that seriously, just took it laying on the couch. Took 2 a lot more seriously. Is 2 that much easier, or am I just getting a little better?

That exact same thing happened with me, see my post above. I heard that form 1 is the easiest, and I was having an awful day when I took it, so maybe that's why I did so much worse on it. I'm really hoping that my score on form 2 wasn't a complete fluke, I'll see this weekend when I take my next one.

Question though, I'm taking 2 more before my test. Originally I was going to take 3 two weeks before and 4 a week before it, but now I'm thinking that I should take 6 instead of one of them because it is more current. Any thoughts?

Test 5/30

I think the 84% UW cum avg (90% recent) is more impressive. I was around 78-80% cum avg on UW and got a 263. I think you'll be the next 270+ scorer around these parts. I can guess scores well too, ask Blesbok. lol

Is it worth doing the free 150 questions? Are they of similar difficulty level to the NBME's?

I think the 84% UW cum avg (90% recent) is more impressive. I was around 78-80% cum avg on UW and got a 263. I think you'll be the next 270+ scorer around these parts. I can guess scores well too, ask Blesbok. lol

Hope you are right ;)

Looking at other people's UW averages and NBME scores, I notice that my UW average seems a bit low for the two NBME scores I have. I'm at 57% cumulative (and that started around 55%, and over the last ~500 questions is only about 60%), and scored 230 and 234. Yet I see a lot of people with 60% and above averages on unused questions scoring below or right at 230.

Just curious why... I can't help but wonder.

Looking at other people's UW averages and NBME scores, I notice that my UW average seems a bit low for the two NBME scores I have. I'm at 57% cumulative (and that started around 55%, and over the last ~500 questions is only about 60%), and scored 230 and 234. Yet I see a lot of people with 60% and above averages on unused questions scoring below or right at 230.

Just curious why... I can't help but wonder.

I feel that UW tends to test more obscure information than the online NBMEs, which can mostly be answered with a solid fund of knowledge. Perhaps your base is better than most people's but they have more of the details in place?