Technology HP Slate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJosephKim

Advisor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, we all know that the Apple iPad phenomenon has swept the nation. I haven't bought one (yet) and I doubt I'll get a first generation iPad given that I know I'll want the updated features found on the second generation iPad.

My question now focuses around the HP Slate. This device will be small and light like the iPad, but it will run Windows 7 so you'll have access to a wider range of applications on this touch-screen device. Many of you are currently using tablet PCs, so you not think you'll need a small slate PC. However, when you think about issues related to size/weight and as we see how the iPad has generated so much buzz already, I can't help but wonder how the HP Slate (and other similar devices) will find its role in the world of health care.

Members don't see this ad.

From looking at the demo video posted on the other thread:

• User interface interaction consists entirely of tapping objects. There don't seem to be any gestures involved.
  • The whole demo is done in Flash. I'm pretty sure nobody wants their entire tablet experience done in Flash.
  • There isn't any Windows UI shown.
  • How different will this be from a netbook with the keyboard removed? Would you want to use one?

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/04/21/hp-slate-gets-unofficially-reviewed-officially-dissed/

Tech blog, Conecti.ca, reportedly got its hands on a pre-release copy of the HP Slate and did a quick unofficial hands on review. The review, in Spanish and machine-translated by Google, is not kind toward the Windows 7-powered device. The review is peppered with negativity including the observation of "a long and annoying load time operating system" and a final verdict upholds the less-than enthusiastic theme of the review by proclaiming that the device and its experience is "meh". On the plus side, the device has "expansion ports ad-nauseum" and, though made of plastic, the slate "feels dense and tough". Overall, the reviewers see this device as a portable competitor to netbooks and not necessarily the proverbial iPad killer that the device is touted to be.

194592-hp-slate-hands-on_original.jpg

The basic problem with Windows 7 slate computers is that they are going to resemble netbooks without the keyboard which, unlike the iPad, is an experience that few people look forward to.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The basic problem with Windows 7 slate computers is that they are going to resemble netbooks without the keyboard which, unlike the iPad, is an experience that few people look forward to.

I think the real problem for any iPad competitor is that people will look at the slate and say "Nah, I really don't need that", whereas hundreds of thousands of Apple fanatics will look at an iPad and think "Oh I want one! I'll find a use for it!"

No one will ever take down Apple or an Apple product simply because of the mentality of their respective followers.

I think the real problem for any iPad competitor is that people will look at the slate and say "Nah, I really don't need that", whereas hundreds of thousands of Apple fanatics will look at an iPad and think "Oh I want one! I'll find a use for it!"

No one will ever take down Apple or an Apple product simply because of the mentality of their respective followers.
So what you are saying is that Apple followers are lemmings? I doubt it, I just think that they build a better product that provides a better user experience.

Music players before the iPod weren't very attractive then came the release of the iPod, from a computer company named after a piece of fruit. The only people at that time who bought Apple products were people who were die hard Apple fans (and even some of them thought the iPod was a mistake). Slowly the iPod gained steam and became the dominant music player because of its usability which was the same story for smart phones (prior to the iPhone Palm CEO doubted the iPhone would be a game changer, smart phones were limited to business individuals, now everyone has a smartphone.

Just because individuals like apple products doesn't mean that people buy them just because they are apple products, some do but I would say most don't, most are windows users who are looking for the best user experience rather than supporting apple because they are fans.

...Music players before the iPod weren't very attractive then came the release of the iPod...
I never understood this. When it comes to functional objects as long as it does what its supposed to I don't understand the point of giving a **** what it looks like.

I never understood this. When it comes to functional objects as long as it does what its supposed to I don't understand the point of giving a **** what it looks like.

Well, most other MP3 players suck compared to the iPod, too. Whether or not they "do what they're supposed to do" depends on how low your expectations are.

I wasn't referring to physical appearance but rather the attractiveness of its functionality, ease of use, ability to easily sync, etc. While yes its nice to have a product look nice I'd rather it work first.

From Engadget today:

We also don't know what's going to happen with the HP Slate, which prominently featured on several slides during the conference call yesterday. We don't know if it was just there as a way of illustrating HP's recent moves in the mobile space or a hint at something more, but our guess is that it too will die a quiet death -- sure, it might still launch in June as expected, but pushing a desktop operating system like Windows 7 onto a full slate device has always been an idea fraught with peril, and webOS seems much more naturally suited to the task. What's more, we can't see HP throwing any more development dollars at the Intel-based Slate when it just spent 1.2 billion dollars on an ARM-based mobile OS. We'll have to wait and see, and that brings us to...

It must be nice to get paid for sitting and blogging speculation all day.

From Engadget today:

We also don't know what's going to happen with the HP Slate, which prominently featured on several slides during the conference call yesterday. We don't know if it was just there as a way of illustrating HP's recent moves in the mobile space or a hint at something more, but our guess is that it too will die a quiet death -- sure, it might still launch in June as expected, but pushing a desktop operating system like Windows 7 onto a full slate device has always been an idea fraught with peril, and webOS seems much more naturally suited to the task. What's more, we can't see HP throwing any more development dollars at the Intel-based Slate when it just spent 1.2 billion dollars on an ARM-based mobile OS. We'll have to wait and see, and that brings us to...
:thumbup::thumbup:

So what you are saying is that Apple followers are lemmings? I doubt it, I just think that they build a better product that provides a better user experience.

Music players before the iPod weren't very attractive then came the release of the iPod, from a computer company named after a piece of fruit. The only people at that time who bought Apple products were people who were die hard Apple fans (and even some of them thought the iPod was a mistake). Slowly the iPod gained steam and became the dominant music player because of its usability which was the same story for smart phones (prior to the iPhone Palm CEO doubted the iPhone would be a game changer, smart phones were limited to business individuals, now everyone has a smartphone.

Just because individuals like apple products doesn't mean that people buy them just because they are apple products, some do but I would say most don't, most are windows users who are looking for the best user experience rather than supporting apple because they are fans.

I think that's exactly what is peddling the early sales of the iPad. You have hundreds of thousands of people who, before, never took an interest in a tablet computer, yet they run out to their local Mac store just to buy the latest Apple technology.

They don't need it, have no real use for it, but insist that soon someone will put out applications that will make it revolutionary.

If HP really did kill the HP Slate then that would be pretty amazing. It seems like it was ready to be launched in the next couple of months. A slate with webOS has got to be at least 6-9 months away. And, what kind of apps are going to be available for it? The main advantage of the Windows 7 slate was the ability to run Windows programs. I just don't think a webOS slate is going to have enough apps to be compelling vs an iPad.

I really hope the HP Slate is "ink-friendly". I'd like to be able to use it for studying and taking notes, and possibly during rotations.