Quantcast

HPM Fellowship after completing subspecialty fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolplease

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if there is anyone out there who has pursued a HPM fellowship after completing another subspecialty fellowship? If so, what was their completed subspecialty? Are you now practicing in an academic or community setting?

Purplerainangel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if there is anyone out there who has pursued a HPM fellowship after completing another subspecialty fellowship? If so, what was their completed subspecialty? Are you now practicing in an academic or community setting?
You posted this a while ago, not sure if you still have this question. I did Hospice/Palliative Medicine following Internal Medicine and Pulm/Critical Care. I have an academic position now.

Reactions: 1 user

Phase1Phase2

Reaction score
I believe that a HPM fellowship following another IM subspecialty is a mistake. Rather, I would do a PGY4 HPM year and then a sub-specialty fellowship. First off, it is a good time to take the IM boards. It allows you to travel during the HPM year to interview for your sub-specialty fellowship. Also, HPM boards are offered every two years. It is a nice skill set to have and I use the experience on a daily basis in my role as an oncologist.