HPM Fellowship after completing subspecialty fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolplease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if there is anyone out there who has pursued a HPM fellowship after completing another subspecialty fellowship? If so, what was their completed subspecialty? Are you now practicing in an academic or community setting?

Members don't see this ad.

Was wondering if there is anyone out there who has pursued a HPM fellowship after completing another subspecialty fellowship? If so, what was their completed subspecialty? Are you now practicing in an academic or community setting?
You posted this a while ago, not sure if you still have this question. I did Hospice/Palliative Medicine following Internal Medicine and Pulm/Critical Care. I have an academic position now.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe that a HPM fellowship following another IM subspecialty is a mistake. Rather, I would do a PGY4 HPM year and then a sub-specialty fellowship. First off, it is a good time to take the IM boards. It allows you to travel during the HPM year to interview for your sub-specialty fellowship. Also, HPM boards are offered every two years. It is a nice skill set to have and I use the experience on a daily basis in my role as an oncologist.