Hpsp, Aed?, Etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RICEman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HPSP
(1.) Last year I attended a Navy Dental Corps presentation about dentistry. The CDR said that those who were already accepted in the HPSP while applying to dental schools have an "advantage" of getting into dental schools. Is this true? And why?

RESIDENCY
(2.) After HPSP recipients completes dental school - will the Navy send them or let them complete at least ONE year of general dentistry residency before doing actual dentistry stuff in the service? If so, is it a Navy or Civilian residency? If not, how is the first year of Navy dentistry for fresh grads without any residency?

APPLYING for HPSP/NAVY scholarship
(3.) For those who are applying for the 2008 dental application cycle - when is the RIGHT time to contact the Navy or apply for HPSP?

SUMMER's
(4.) What do HPSPers do during summer and Christmas breaks?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1. My recruiter told me of that theory and I personally don't believe it. The theory goes that if the school knows you are on scholarship they know they are going to get their tuition money. But nobody I know has had any trouble paying their tuition with the massive amount of loans that are rewarded. So, I don't buy it.

2. You will get the chance to apply for a one or two year AEGD residency. These are pretty easy to get accepted in to. . . as far as I've heard everyone that wants to do one gets one. They are military residencies, not civilian. I'm still in school so I dont' know how these compare to civilian residencies.

3. Apply as soon as you take the DAT. I think its better to get in early and relax, knowing you have your plans set.

4. You are required to do 45 Active Training. This usually means that if you have the summer off, you will go to a base and train for 45 days. Since most dental schools only get the first summer off, students usually do this training after the first year. You may also request to go the summer before you enter to get it over with, then you can chill the summer after the first year (I highly recommend this. . . wish I could have done it). Christmas break is yours, enjoy.

Any other questions can be answered by the Navy HPSP handbook at
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/pages/nmetc/pdf/sbook.pdf

HPSP
(1.) Last year I attended a Navy Dental Corps presentation about dentistry. The CDR said that those who were already accepted in the HPSP while applying to dental schools have an "advantage" of getting into dental schools. Is this true? And why?

RESIDENCY
(2.) After HPSP recipients completes dental school - will the Navy send them or let them complete at least ONE year of general dentistry residency before doing actual dentistry stuff in the service? If so, is it a Navy or Civilian residency? If not, how is the first year of Navy dentistry for fresh grads without any residency?

APPLYING for HPSP/NAVY scholarship
(3.) For those who are applying for the 2008 dental application cycle - when is the RIGHT time to contact the Navy or apply for HPSP?

SUMMER's
(4.) What do HPSPers do during summer and Christmas breaks?

Thanks.
#1 Doubt it. Besides, I don't think you find out about the HPSP scholarship until after the beginning of the year. Hopefully you have already been accepted to a couple of schools by then.

#2 All of the Navy guys at my school (3) are doing a one year residency. Two are doing AEGD, and one a GPR, because they told him it will give him more pedo experience. I'm pretty sure the Navy and Air Force guys HAD to apply for a one year residency, but they didnt' have to accept it. Everyone that applied got one. I'm Army myself, just graduated, going to Germany as a general dentist.

#3 Might as well do it right away if you're interested. They'll tell you more about the deadlines, etc... Right now you're still pretty early, I think.

#4 I was lucky enough to do the Officer's Basic Course the summer before school started. The only negative was that school started 4 or so days after the course ended, so it was kind of a rush getting there. One benefit was that I was paid for OBC, then the next summer when everyone else was at OBC, I still received the regular stipend, so I came out an extra $2000 or so ahead of the others. Then I also had my first summer off, did some tutoring, etc..., but didn't go anywhere. All of the rest of the summers we've had clinic, even though we get a few weeks off at the beginning and a couple at the end. We didn't go anywhere, though. Christmas and other holidays are the same story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I'm headed to San Antonio in about 2 weeks. I have bought my boots and the majority of the gear needed. I decided to wear my boots to class today to break them in. My feet are now killin me. My heels feel like they are really going to blister up. Any advice on what to do to make them more comfortable? Or should I just take the boots back and get another pair?

If your boots aren't comfortable then they don't fit. Some peoples feet are just different and different brands work better for some than others. Personally I have a pair of Belleville 9.5W and these are as comfortable or more comfortable than tennis shoes. Usually I wear 10 or 10.5 for other shoes but these are just sized a bit different. Try other brands/other sizes, you'll find something that is good for you.

Dental Guy you are motivated, seriously. I wish I had thought about breaking in a pair of boots before I hit the Army. :thumbup:

Boots? Who's wearing boots? Ha ha...I'm new to this whole HPSP thing and trying to figure it all out. I am thinking of applying to the AF program, and don't know what to believe. My recruiter says, no short shorts and running at 5am (after COT of course) and uniform is different for every place stationed...ie, could be PT clothes, camo, or just civilian clothes and scrubs at the clinic. Will I be wearing boots all the time in the clinic? Just curious...i want to know everything I'm getting into:)