HPSP AF or Navy North Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM/Neuro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide to sign up with the Navy or Air Force through the HPSP for medical school in Chicago. Does anyone have any experience with the two branches in Chicago? I know the Great Lakes Naval Station is right there, could I possibly do a residency there while in the Air Force?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to decide to sign up with the Navy or Air Force through the HPSP for medical school in Chicago. Does anyone have any experience with the two branches in Chicago? I know the Great Lakes Naval Station is right there, could I possibly do a residency there while in the Air Force?
It looks like you are asking if you can do residency at the Great Lakes Naval Station.

"Not even wrong" doesn't begin to sum up this question. The short answer is no.

You should read this forum for more information on how GME (residency) works for medical school graduates with HPSP obligations, where the programs are, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
As the others have said there is so much wrong with your basic question. Talk to some physicians in the navy and the Air Force if you know any. Review this forum and see if that helps you come up with some more directed questions.

That said the first look at your question makes it seem like hpsp might not be a great idea for you. HPSP really is no different wherever you go to medical school. You should assume the military will send you elsewhere and if you have a particularly strong desire to stay in a particular location (even one that actually has a larger military medical center) you probably shouldn't be considering the military. When you join the military you really are more a citizen of the US as a whole than just your particular current location. (Also Chicago is not a large location for the military despite Great Lakes being there, if your goal is to stay in Chicago the Navy is terrible idea and the Air Force is a worse one)