HPSP (airforce) Pro and Cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOGuyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was strongly considering joining the airforce and attending medical school through the HPSP. Does anyone here have any experience with this route? I have been hearing a lot of good and a lot of bad things coming from a lot of people. I have also heard that through the airforce you only are required to give back 4 years unless the length of your residency exceeds 6 years, is this true? I know when I spoke to an army recruiter she told me it was either 4 years or the length of your residency, whichever takes longer. I want to get into general surgery in the future, and I have heard to not go through with this route unless you are getting into less competitive specialties (peds, family medicine, etc). After those 4 years of service though couldn't you technically stay on reserves and get a job at a civilian hospital? Sorry for all the questions but anything helps!!

Members don't see this ad.

I HIGHLY suggest that you read the stickies. All of the questions you have asked have been answered many times in the stickies. We could answer your question but then it would deprive you of the opportunity to read about your decision in detail.

Reactions: 3 users