HPSP Army Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USP1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the great information on the HPSP already posted on these boards. It has been infinitely helpful. I have reviewed it all and have begun the process of checking into applications for PhD programs to start classes in fall of 2012. I will graduate Spring 2011 with a Masters of Counselor Education (have a B.S. of Psych).

My question is this:

Will the HPSP apply to an APA-accredited Counseling Psychology PhD program? Or must it be a Clinical Psychology/PsyD program?

I plan to be a lifer, I come from a family of service and the lifestyle is pretty firmly engrained in me. That said, I would have a considerably shorter counseling psychology program because of the transfer credit from my Masters in Counseling (from a CACREP and NCATE accredited institution). I would prefer not having to go through a 6 year PhD clinical program if I can be HPSP eligible in a counseling psychology PhD program which I could probably have shortened to a max of 4 years.

Thank you for any assistance you guys can provide me, I have been in touch with three different recruiters about this and none of them know the answer(I understand we Psych people are statistical anomalies for HPSP), and I'd like the answer before I begin applying to schools in a few months.

Members don't see this ad.

Masters degrees rarely shave off much time (a year, at most) from the doctorate. Alot of doctoral programa will not accept many transfer courses/credits and you will need to factor in the time it takes to accumulate the appopriate amount of doctoral practicum hours and the completion of an emprical dissertation.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I understand it might not shave a whole bunch of time off, but every bit helps. I also really like my chances of admission to a Counseling Psychology program better than to a Clinical Psychology program; as I'll have 200 practicum hours and 600 internship hours under my belt already, but only the little bit of (unpublished) research I performed in my undergraduate Psych degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been looking into the HPSP program as well, and my previous OIC, a Major and clinical psychologist has told me that the scholarship is only good for APA accredited programs but can apply to any of the programs you mentioned. Clinical, Counseling, or PsyD. That being said, good luck!

Thanks for the reply, how long ago did your Major tell you that?

Thanks for the reply, how long ago did your Major tell you that?

I just found out about the program within the last month or so, so it's been in the last couple of weeks. Feel free to pm me if you want.

Bump.

Still haven't gotten in contact with a recruiter who knows an answer or a person currently receiving the HPSP.

Masters degrees rarely shave off much time (a year, at most) from the doctorate. Alot of doctoral programa will not accept many transfer courses/credits and you will need to factor in the time it takes to accumulate the appopriate amount of doctoral practicum hours and the completion of an emprical dissertation.

I have to disagree a little/add some stuff here. I applied to 12 counseling psych programs, 4 of which only accepted MA students, so these programs were of course accelerated and had an expectation that students would finish their counseling phd in 3-4 years, versus 5-6 in a "traditional" program.

Also, the school I have chosen to attend, which accepts both bachelors and MA students, told me up front that having a MA WITH a thesis that has been defended and will be accepted by the doctoral program, will absolutely take a year of time off.

True, transfering credits does not usually take much time off as far as actual course time is concerned, but depending upon the program and whether or not you have completed a thesis, it is possible that certain schools will allow you to finish the doctorate sooner because of their program design.

Hope this helps you USP. I'm also planning on pursuing the HPSP scholarship as a counseling psych student, so good luck to you as well!! I've heard it is a tedious process, but of course well worth it in the end :)

Bump.

Still haven't gotten in contact with a recruiter who knows an answer or a person currently receiving the HPSP.

Sorry for the double reply, should have read ahead! Yes you can get the HPSP if you are in a Counseling Psych, APA accredited docotoral program. The Army recognizes those with Clinical or Counseling PhD's as Clinical Army Psychologists, so both are open to apply. BTW I have not yet talked with a recruiter myself, but know this simply because I am in contact with people in Counseling Programs that have been awarded the HPSP.

And make sure you are contacting a MedCorps recruiter (if you didn't already know this). They are the ones you want! Good luck!