HPSP experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkl_OD2be

UMSL class of 2010
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for the Army HPSP. The board that selects those who receive the HPSP meets on April 25th. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the HPSP, and serving as an optometrist in any branch of the military.

There are several on the "Military Medicine" board here, but they all seem to be MD/DO. I've read their ranting that military medicine is to be avoided, etc. I was just wondering if those who serve as optometrists have the same experiences, etc.

Anyone who's been there, done that, I'd appreciate you sharing your experience.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any personal experiance, but one of the doctors I shadowed was in the Airforce before the private sector and he liked it. He said I should stay away from the Army, for whatever that's worth (but it may just be an interservice rivalry thing). ;)

rkl_OD2be said:
I applied for the Army HPSP. The board that selects those who receive the HPSP meets on April 25th. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the HPSP, and serving as an optometrist in any branch of the military.

There are several on the "Military Medicine" board here, but they all seem to be MD/DO. I've read their ranting that military medicine is to be avoided, etc. I was just wondering if those who serve as optometrists have the same experiences, etc.

Anyone who's been there, done that, I'd appreciate you sharing your experience.

Thank you.

there were two in my class that went Air Force... they both really enjoy it. (from what I've heard) They especially like being debt free !!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am active duty Air Force right now, though unfortunately not in Optometry :( (long story) Anyway, I have never met an optometrist that did not like working for the military. Why someone might have said to avoid the Army was more likely to be a joke, as normally, we in the AF just think they're all crazy. Also, I had an appointment today with one of our docs and as we were talking, he mentioned that he is deploying in two weeks. I had to ask him what for as I had never heard of an AF OD deploying. It was, however, for optometry, though I should have guessed- he was going with the Army! Lol. Anyway, if I had the chance for the scholarship, I would grab it in a heartbeat for any service. Guaranteed job and lower debt??!! It's only four years....

Thank you everyone who responded...

I was told yesterday (April 25th, the day the selection board met to select the recipients) that my application for HPSP was not considered...

I have keratoconus. A keratoconus diagnosis automatically disqualifies a person from military service. A waiver was requested and that request was denied.

I started the process of applying for HPSP back in the middle of January...I had my physical during the middle part of February...The waiver was requsted at the beginning of March, and I went for an Ophthalmology consultation towards the end of March...Everyone along the way gave no indication that the waiver would be denied...The thing that pi**es me off the most is the fact that they waited until selection day to inform me I didn't get the waiver...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

:confused: I am familiar with keratoconus (to some degree) but I'm unsure of why that would disqualify you for military service? It is correctable with RGP's isn't it? I mean, I understand that you couldn't be a pilot, but how does it completely disqualify you? Sorry to hear that :( ... best of luck! :luck:

prettygreeneyes said:
:confused: I am familiar with keratoconus (to some degree) but I'm unsure of why that would disqualify you for military service? It is correctable with RGP's isn't it? I mean, I understand that you couldn't be a pilot, but how does it completely disqualify you? Sorry to hear that :( ... best of luck! :luck:

I googled "Army keratoconus waiver". Several of the links returned were for various ROTC programs stating that "Keratoconus or history of treatment for this condition is absolutely disqualifying."

I was diagnosed with keratoconus when I was 20. The first few years were "tricky" until I found an OD who I felt comfortable was knowledgable, and prescribed appropriate lenses.

At first, I was prescribed "standard" RGP's. After losing something like 5 lenses in one year (at $95 each), I asked if there was an alternative. My OD at the time suggested the hybrid soft-perm lenses (rigid in the center, soft around the edge). Those lenses were awesome, except for one little thing: they didn't allow enough oxygen into my eyes, so I had frequent (and often painful) infections. I switched OD's again and found my current OD...He prescribed "Rose-K" lenses that I currently wear.

For the past 7 years, my Rx has only changed one time! If that isn't "stability", I don't know what is. My visual acuity with contacts is 20/20 (and 20/30 with glasses).

I'm thinking the fact that the refraction on my right eye is something like -7.75, +2.75, 150 (sphere, cylinder, axis), while my left eye is -3.25, +2.50, 75 didn't do much to help my case for the waiver.

I still don't understand why keratoconus is such a "bad thing" where military service is concerned...Perhaps one of the practicing OD's here could enlighten us?

rkl_OD2be said:
Thank you everyone who responded...

I was told yesterday (April 25th, the day the selection board met to select the recipients) that my application for HPSP was not considered...

I have keratoconus. A keratoconus diagnosis automatically disqualifies a person from military service. A waiver was requested and that request was denied.

I started the process of applying for HPSP back in the middle of January...I had my physical during the middle part of February...The waiver was requsted at the beginning of March, and I went for an Ophthalmology consultation towards the end of March...Everyone along the way gave no indication that the waiver would be denied...The thing that makes pi**es me off the most is the fact that they waited until selection day to inform me I didn't get the waiver...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I know it won't help much, but I understand exactly how you feel. Having joined the military for the sole reason of paying for my optom education, I was accepted to four schools only to learn that I hadn't followed the appropriate application process. I had asked multiple times if there was anything I needed to take care of and was assured that as long as I got accepted, I would be sent to optometry school. Four months passed, by which time I had signed on the dotted line and could not turn back. When I was placed in a field as far away from my degree as possible, there wasn't anything I could do about it. I wish I could at least say my time was pleasant, but alas, I cannot lie ;)

Four long years later, I am getting out and doing it on my own.... Morale of the story, it could be worse. :oops:

BTW Way back when I started, I was told that everything was waiverable. Times have changed, so that may have too, but if you truly want to dedicate yourself to the military, there may still be hope.

rkl_OD2be and swiftiii

This is particularly interesting to me because I'm planning to apply for the HPSP and am nervous about it. :scared: What do I need to know before contacting the recruiter and what advice, if any, can you give me. I'm planning to talk to Air Force(1st choice), Army, and Navy.

smith351 said:
rkl_OD2be and swiftiii

This is particularly interesting to me because I'm planning to apply for the HPSP and am nervous about it. :scared: What do I need to know before contacting the recruiter and what advice, if any, can you give me. I'm planning to talk to Air Force(1st choice), Army, and Navy.

Number 1, be very, very careful about signing anything!! No, I don't think you should be nervous. The process has changed since I went through, and if I am not mistaken, you will know that you are getting the HPSP before you have to commit. I would be interested to know when you apply since they only offer the HPSP to third and fourth year students. Anyway, not having done the HPSP, I would talk to someone who had about their experience (like rkl...). Otherwise, if you would just like to know more about the military and military optometrists, ask me directly. Googling "military HPSP" should also provide you with some good info. Be sure to ask questions on anything you don't understand, and like I said, don't sign anything unless you are completely comfortable ;)

smith351 said:
rkl_OD2be and swiftiii

a med school friend had a lawyer look over documents for his military scholarship. it wouldnt hurt hiring a lawyer to help you out.

smith351 said:
rkl_OD2be and swiftiii

Before you contact the recruiter, you should have your letter(s) of acceptance from the particular optometry school(s) you wish to attend.

Second, you need to seek out the (branch-of-service) Healthcare Recruiter. These guys are completely separate and distinct from the (branch-of-service) recruiters.

Third, APPLY EARLY!. Apply to your school early, and the day after you get your acceptance letter, contact the recruiter and get the process rolling. Your HPSP application will require everything that your optometry school required (i.e. OAT score reports, official transcripts, letters of recommendation from the same people that wrote letters to your school, etc.) You will be required to complete an SF-87 application for security clearance, etc.

After the "first wave" of paperwork, your recruiter will schedule your physical to be done at the MEPS. I was required to report at 05:30. The recruiter made it sound like I'd be done & back to work by 09:30-10:00. I'm here to tell you that I didn't get done until well after 2:00pm that day. That experience is the first time you will feel like you're "the property of 'Uncle Sam'".

Assuming you pass your physical (I did not), then the remaining paperwork for your "packet" will be completed, and forwarded on so the selection board will have it. For (Army) Optometry, the board meets Once a year.

If you are fortunate, and are selected for the (branch-of-service) HPSP, your recruiter notifies you. It is only upon your acceptance of the HPSP (by signing acceptance paperwork), and subsequent commissioning/swearing-in that you incur any obligation to serve.

Since the board meets once a year, and since things proceed at a snail's pace, it is imperitive that you begin the process early. Most schools begin their application process in August for the following year. If you plan on applying for HPSP, then also plan on having your "ducks in a row" so that you can submit your application to the school on August 1.

Also, another poster here asserted that they only award HPSP to 3rd & 4th year students. That is incorrect. I was an "incoming first year" student, and had I gotten the award, I would have received it all four years...

Good luck with your application, the HPSP is really a great deal for those who want to serve their country, be an optometrist, and have no debt after school...

Whoa! That's a lot of info. Thanks everyone for the advice :thumbup: I really appreciate it.

I received a three AF HPSP when I was in school. The ironic part was that the same morning the Army called to me that I was the first alternate. If someone were to cancel out or not take the scholarship, I would be in. The AF called later that day and here I am now. 10 years Active duty, 5 duty assignments (3 overseas), rides in a F16, B52, AC130, etc. I really wonder how life would have been if I had gone Army instead.....

HPSP is a great deal for Optometry compared to Med students. We do not have to worry about matching to a residency to train for a specialty, we have our training already. Many of my officer training colleagues were quite worried about not being able to civilian match to a sub,sub-specialty field and having to match to something that the military needed (fam prac, ER, Flight surgeon, etc). We go to school, graduate, and report for duty to practice Optometry.

Anyone that is thinking about military services needs to grasp the concept that the needs of the service comes first despite how great you are. If you want to be stationed at location X and there are no openings there, you won't be assigned there. Your duty location may not be where you want to be forever, but you need to perform and make the best of your situation and things will take care of themselves.

Moving is a fact of life with military service. I am about to have my sicth duty location in just over 10 years of service. I was single most of that time and chose to accept short tours to go to places that I wanted (Korea and Germany) and was accepted for a military optometry residency. My wife and I are now finishing another short tour in Turkey and will be moving to Alaska this summer. I would never have been able to experience 1% of the experiences that I have had without my military career.

Deployments are a fact of life in today's military. More so in the Army than in the AF and Navy, but we are starting to have to step up and deploy as well. If you don't want to be separated from your family at some time, then military service may not be your cup of tea.

Depending on the needs of the individual service (recurring theme, huh...), there may not be more than 1 or 2 year HPSP offerings. That is true with the AF currently, I cannot speak for the Army or Navy. They have different manning requirements and may have longer scholarships.

Bottom line: Think about what you want from a possible HPSP...money for school or the opportunity to serve your country.

BK