HPSP help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

P0W3RL1FT3R

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding the HPSP. My navy recruiter seems new/inexperienced, so I thought I'd reach out to SDN for some input.

1) Is there a checklist or timeline of the HPSP application? I would like to keep tabs of everything to ensure I'm not missing anything.

2) are there dental motivational statement examples somewhere?

3) is MEPS required? My recruiter said that he'd like to avoid it, which surprised me. I definitely don't want to take shortcuts during this process if it will in any way hinder my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied for Army,

1) Differs between branches?

2) I was able to obtain examples from my recruiter, however based on the quality of the PDF I could tell they were not recent motivational statements.

3) Had to go through MEPS. I believe AF does it after selection???

MEPs is required for all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
MEPS isn't required. If your recruiter can get you seen by a military physician by going directly to a military hospital, that works too

I had a physical done by military physician. Highly recommend that because I have yet to meet anyone who had a positive experience at MEPS.

I had a physical done by military physician. Highly recommend that because I have yet to meet anyone who had a positive experience at MEPS.

I didn't have any problem with MEPS, but a physical by a military physician is probably better. Only bad part about MEPS was the waiting, but I was still out of there by 12 so not terrible.

Yeah, I don't know if there's another way to do your physical outside of MEPS, but if you can, I'd do it. Its kind of annoying. They treat everyone like they're enlisted about to ship off so they're unecessarily rude. I had to tell them like 3 times I didn't need to take the ASVAB, they only listened when one of the nurses heard me talking about the HPSP and told them I didn't need to take it.

MEPS is the standard, but the goal is to have the DD-2807 & DD-2808 completed by a DoD medical provider.

If you can't handle the unorganized chaos of MEPS, military life might not be for you. There is plenty, and I mean plenty, of BS you'll have to deal with throughout your career, often on a daily basis. Such is the nature of the beast. But, it's still a pretty sweat gig.

Big Hoss

PLENTY.

Imagine being attached to a unit that requires personnel regularly carry weapons. Yet the entire command shuts down for a day so members learn how to safely operate a turkey fryer. And this is not a hypothetical example, this happens. Every year.

But like Hoss says, overall it's a sweet deal.

But like Hoss says, overall it's a sweet deal.
If you re-read my post, I clearly wrote "sweat gig." Awesome. Apparently my fingers are too fat for an iPhone and I'm in need of a special typing wand. Maybe if I sweat more, my fingers wouldn't be so fat. But, Hoss is happy being in the 3 mile club.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
If you re-read my post, I clearly wrote "sweat gig." Awesome. Apparently my fingers are too fat for an iPhone and I'm in need of a special typing wand. Maybe if I sweat more, my fingers wouldn't be so fat. But, Hoss is happy being in the 3 mile club.

Big Hoss
Yeah I noticed. I was pretty sure you fatfingered it, or it was a DYAC situation.

I did the 3 mile club thing for a few years. But depending on who the CO was and who was running my department, the best time for me to get out of that club was deploying. On my 3rd (4th?) one, I was able to really get in good shape. Plenty of opportunity to sweat while running in 100 degree heat.
The other times I found myself running more often is when PRT season would be approaching, and the CO would suddenly "get serious" about command PT. At 5AM. I guess this would be more of an example of a "sweat gig" haha!