HPSP Psychology Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajflor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I had some questions about the HPSP program for Psychology if anyone could help me out. I'm currently an undergrad due to graduate this May. I've been accepted for grad school for a Master's in Counseling Psychology program.
1. Do I need to be a Ph.D student before I apply for the HPSP?
2. For active duty deployment, where are the psychologists usually placed?
3. How long and often is the actual training?
4. How many years of schooling will the HPSP cover? I've read only 2, and in other sites I've read it'll cover the whole time you're in school. Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak to the Army HPSP:

The Army scholarship will only cover the last two years of your didactic education in return for three years of active duty service obligation. After the didactic portion of your education you MUST apply to the Army Clinical Psychology Internship Program. If selected you will start internship after attending Officer Basic in the summer of your last year of didactics. If you are not selected for an Army internship, you must apply to and be accepted by an accredited civilian internship program. In either case, upon completion of the didactic portion, HPSP will no longer pay for tuition, books or equipment. The expectation is that you will complete your dissertation immediately following the internship and be an independent provider.

Don't confuse deployments with assignments. You can be deployed from 3 months to a year anywhere there is a need. Meaning that you could be assigned/stationed in Korea, Europe or Hawaii for a period of three years and get deployed from there to the sandbox for 90 days and then return to your assignment.

Not sure what you mean by training

Navy HPSP only covers 3 years of school. So you need to be enrolled in a program already before you can apply. So if you are in a 4 year program, you apply the fall of your first year.