HPSP Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brianr86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a couple of questions regarding the HPSP. I was accepted into dental school this year, class 0f 2014. I have always wanted to do the military route, however I was unaware I could start the application before being accepted. Anyways, I just started the HPSP for the army. I do not think I have a chance to get the 4 year as it is so late, any thoughts on this? My stats are not great, DAT 19/21/20, Gpa 3.4, sGPA 3.3. So not chance for the USAF.

I realize it would be a long shot to get the 4 year. So my next question is about reapplying for the HSPS after my first year of dental school. I screwed around a lot during my undergrad, resulting in the low GPA. I plan on stepping it up in dental school. So if I reapply with above a 3.5 in dental school would I be able to apply for the USAF HPSP, or are my undergrad still taken into consideration? Would my overall chances increase if I got the application in early (this fall)?

It's a toss up for me between the Army and Air Force, I think I would be happy in either branch.

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I have a couple of questions regarding the HPSP. I was accepted into dental school this year, class 0f 2014. I have always wanted to do the military route, however I was unaware I could start the application before being accepted. Anyways, I just started the HPSP for the army. I do not think I have a chance to get the 4 year as it is so late, any thoughts on this? My stats are not great, DAT 19/21/20, Gpa 3.4, sGPA 3.3. So not chance for the USAF.

I realize it would be a long shot to get the 4 year. So my next question is about reapplying for the HSPS after my first year of dental school. I screwed around a lot during my undergrad, resulting in the low GPA. I plan on stepping it up in dental school. So if I reapply with above a 3.5 in dental school would I be able to apply for the USAF HPSP, or are my undergrad still taken into consideration? Would my overall chances increase if I got the application in early (this fall)?

It's a toss up for me between the Army and Air Force, I think I would be happy in either branch.

Thanks for the input.

Apply now for the Army - outside chance you can still get the 4 yr scholarship - if not you will more than likely have first dibs on the 3 yr scholarship. Plus if you wanted the extra $20k sign on bonus you can take that with the 3 yr HPSP (you will owe 4 yrs though).

You can still apply to the AF for a 3-year HPSP. The 3.5 GPA and 19 is just a guide. You have to have at least one of those and it would appear that you have at least a 19 on your DAT. Your 3.4 GPA will not keep you from applying. Discuss with your recruiter when you should start applying for the 3-year. The earlier you get your app in the better.

Hey all,

Thanks for the input.