HPSP Questions / Nontrad / Just Researching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8YearsLate

Sub Canus lupus familiaris
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have explored the HPSP for the past year while I've been applying, and now I am trying to get more specific answers. I had a recruiter tell me that I do qualify (despite being a single parent, which I thought was somehow barred), but we haven't spoken at length. Of course, this is my major concern, given the time commitment and relative unpredictability down the road after internship, moving, etc. However, I have overcome a lot in life, and I felt it deserved fair exploration before assuming it is impossible. Yes, it is largely a financial/stability move, but moreover, I am genuinely interested in serving, and even if I should not partake in the scholarship, I may be interested down the line as my child (and therefore I) gain(s) independence.

Anyway, here are my major questions:

1) Is it accurate that a single parent can enlist, provided that I have some sort of Family Care plan in place (i.e. my father agreeing to take my child during trainings, etc.? Does anyone know anything about this? Furthermore, from people who are enlisted - would this be even relatively feasible? I'm looking for specific reasons why/why not/how.

2) Is it true that a mild history of migraines (I'm prescribed imitrex but only need it perhaps 2-3x a year at most) and I have, in the past, been on antidepressants for approximately 1 year. Will they necessarily pull these records, or are they relying on me self-reporting? It seems a bit discriminatory, but if that's the way it is, I accept it. Just wondering how hard-and-fast this situation is, or if they look at the big picture.

3) Despite much research, I do not fully comprehend the GMO situation. Let's say they send me out for GMO duty for 1 year. Then I still have to come back and complete, say, a 3-year EM residency. So now I am earning residency wages for 4 years instead of 3? Also, if that residency is a military residency, I am not understand it does NOT count toward payback of my commitment. Does the same apply for a civilian residency? I guess I'm just not clear on the timeline, and I would like to know the maximum time they are entitled to keep me in as a GMO, and how that is determined. Furthermore, after 4 years school + 4 years residency (approximate) + 4 years commitment at a location of their choosing, at that point I can decide to either stay and go for a full 20, or transition to civilian sector, correct? So 12 year commitment overall?

Thanks for any feedback, and please go easy on me if I sound unreasonable :) Happy holidays, ya'll.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,
I have explored the HPSP for the past year while I've been applying, and now I am trying to get more specific answers. I had a recruiter tell me that I do qualify (despite being a single parent, which I thought was somehow barred), but we haven't spoken at length. Of course, this is my major concern, given the time commitment and relative unpredictability down the road after internship, moving, etc. However, I have overcome a lot in life, and I felt it deserved fair exploration before assuming it is impossible. Yes, it is largely a financial/stability move, but moreover, I am genuinely interested in serving, and even if I should not partake in the scholarship, I may be interested down the line as my child (and therefore I) gain(s) independence.

Anyway, here are my major questions:

1) Is it accurate that a single parent can enlist, provided that I have some sort of Family Care plan in place (i.e. my father agreeing to take my child during trainings, etc.? Does anyone know anything about this? Furthermore, from people who are enlisted - would this be even relatively feasible? I'm looking for specific reasons why/why not/how.

2) Is it true that a mild history of migraines (I'm prescribed imitrex but only need it perhaps 2-3x a year at most) and I have, in the past, been on antidepressants for approximately 1 year. Will they necessarily pull these records, or are they relying on me self-reporting? It seems a bit discriminatory, but if that's the way it is, I accept it. Just wondering how hard-and-fast this situation is, or if they look at the big picture.

3) Despite much research, I do not fully comprehend the GMO situation. Let's say they send me out for GMO duty for 1 year. Then I still have to come back and complete, say, a 3-year EM residency. So now I am earning residency wages for 4 years instead of 3? Also, if that residency is a military residency, I am not understand it does NOT count toward payback of my commitment. Does the same apply for a civilian residency? I guess I'm just not clear on the timeline, and I would like to know the maximum time they are entitled to keep me in as a GMO, and how that is determined. Furthermore, after 4 years school + 4 years residency (approximate) + 4 years commitment at a location of their choosing, at that point I can decide to either stay and go for a full 20, or transition to civilian sector, correct? So 12 year commitment overall?

Thanks for any feedback, and please go easy on me if I sound unreasonable :) Happy holidays, ya'll.
I've been in the military in the medical field for a long time and have worked with and talked with HPSP doctors extensively over the years.

1) A single parent can enlist/commission (enlisting is for non-officers. commissioning is for officers, which you would be). Your family care plan dictates how your family is cared for while you are in training/deployed. You will almost definitely be deployed at least once as a physician in the military on an HPSP commitment. Whether this is feasible or not is a personal decision you have to make. Is it feasible for you to be away from your child for 6-10 months at a time which may be inconvenient for you?

2) They will not pull your medical records, but they will request them. If you fail to provide your medical records or lie about your medical history, you can face serious charges down the line that will definitely impact/end your military career and can even impact your civilian career. Do not lie and always provide all of your medical records. The military has every right to be discriminatory in who they accept because no one has a right to serve, it is a privilege. If they decide your medical issues would prevent you from succeeding in your duties as a military officer, it will prevent you from getting in. That being said, physicians are usually given waivers for most things so while the hx of antidepressants may be a red flag, it may not be a hard stop to serving for you.

3) GMO tours are usually for military physicians who don't match initially for whatever reason and they basically serve as primary care providers for a specific military unit/group. When you are in the military, there is no such thing as "residency wages." You are paid by your rank and time in service, regardless of whether you're a GMO or in residency. Once you complete residency and become board-certified, you can receive special pays depending on your specialty (neurosurgeons get higher special pays than pediatricians.)
Regarding your service obligation, your time in residency does not count towards your obligation. If you owe 4 years and do a 5 year residency, you still owe 4 years afterwards. Your GMO time however does count towards your obligation. There are even some cases where HPSP physicians choose to complete their 4 year obligation as a GMO (unique circumstances). After your 4 years of medical school + X years of residency + 4 years of service obligation, you can decide to get out and become a civilian, stay in the military, or even transfer to the reserves/national guard and be part-time military (most physicians get out immediately for higher civilian pay, but I know a few who stayed because they like being in).

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to answer them or I can reach out to some of the docs I know who did HPSP for their answers.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been in the military in the medical field for a long time and have worked with and talked with HPSP doctors extensively over the years.

1) A single parent can enlist/commission (enlisting is for non-officers. commissioning is for officers, which you would be). Your family care plan dictates how your family is cared for while you are in training/deployed. You will almost definitely be deployed at least once as a physician in the military on an HPSP commitment. Whether this is feasible or not is a personal decision you have to make. Is it feasible for you to be away from your child for 6-10 months at a time which may be inconvenient for you?

2) They will not pull your medical records, but they will request them. If you fail to provide your medical records or lie about your medical history, you can face serious charges down the line that will definitely impact/end your military career and can even impact your civilian career. Do not lie and always provide all of your medical records. The military has every right to be discriminatory in who they accept because no one has a right to serve, it is a privilege. If they decide your medical issues would prevent you from succeeding in your duties as a military officer, it will prevent you from getting in. That being said, physicians are usually given waivers for most things so while the hx of antidepressants may be a red flag, it may not be a hard stop to serving for you.

3) GMO tours are usually for military physicians who don't match initially for whatever reason and they basically serve as primary care providers for a specific military unit/group. When you are in the military, there is no such thing as "residency wages." You are paid by your rank and time in service, regardless of whether you're a GMO or in residency. Once you complete residency and become board-certified, you can receive special pays depending on your specialty (neurosurgeons get higher special pays than pediatricians.)
Regarding your service obligation, your time in residency does not count towards your obligation. If you owe 4 years and do a 5 year residency, you still owe 4 years afterwards. Your GMO time however does count towards your obligation. There are even some cases where HPSP physicians choose to complete their 4 year obligation as a GMO (unique circumstances). After your 4 years of medical school + X years of residency + 4 years of service obligation, you can decide to get out and become a civilian, stay in the military, or even transfer to the reserves/national guard and be part-time military (most physicians get out immediately for higher civilian pay, but I know a few who stayed because they like being in).

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to answer them or I can reach out to some of the docs I know who did HPSP for their answers.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I have a recruitment exploration event tomorrow and am still waiting to hear back from recruiter (been very hard to get in touch despite me giving him my whole sched and calling - can I request a different recruiter somehow? My cousin is a recruiter and is super responsive with his prospects so I think it's just an issue with this particular one). Anyway, after I incorporate all the new info this week, may I PM you in the future for more feedback? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I have a recruitment exploration event tomorrow and am still waiting to hear back from recruiter (been very hard to get in touch despite me giving him my whole sched and calling - can I request a different recruiter somehow? My cousin is a recruiter and is super responsive with his prospects so I think it's just an issue with this particular one). Anyway, after I incorporate all the new info this week, may I PM you in the future for more feedback? Thanks!
Make sure you're in contact with a HPSP recruiter, not just a normal military recruiter. If you current recruiter is your regional HPSP recruiter, you may be stuck with them unless you're willing to pick a new branch. Feel free to PM me in the future with any questions. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I commissioned through the Navy reserve and had to get a medical waiver for severe astigmatism. Be entirely truthful on every piece of documentation you fill out for the military; truthfulness is in the job description of a military officer. All officers are required to hold a SECRET security clearance at a minimum. That clearance process gives the government free reign to dig through any part of your past they deem necessary.

That being said, there is absolutely no reason to provide extra information that isn't asked of you. If the question on the MEPS form says: In the past 5 years, were you treated for any kind of mental illness? And your answer is: no, it was 6 years ago, then your answer is NO.

I agree you should make sure you're talking to the right recruiter. Stay on top of him/her until they move your paperwork through. They have a lot of different people they're dealing with and as the adage goes, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

PM me if you have questions about getting a waiver.

That being said, physicians are usually given waivers for most things so while the hx of antidepressants may be a red flag, it may not be a hard stop to serving for you.
@CricB4Tube Obviously you can't give me a firm yes or no, but in your experience how far does this go? One biggish thing they'll give you a waiver but maybe not for multiple smallish things? What are some of the types of medical history they care about most?

@CricB4Tube Obviously you can't give me a firm yes or no, but in your experience how far does this go? One biggish thing they'll give you a waiver but maybe not for multiple smallish things? What are some of the types of medical history they care about most?
Waivers are such a case by case basis that it's impossible for me to give you an answer. I've worked with doctors who came in with ADHD, asthma, and even a prior back surgery.

Reactions: 1 user