Research Availability as Nontrad without a Science Bachelor's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Contradition

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a nontraditional student (graduated 2020, BA in Philosophy from a CSU with 3.74 GPA, strong upward trend; returned to school 2021 with a DIY postbacc completing prerequisites and major "recommended" courses at local community colleges, 4.0 GPA; 3.83 cGPA between both transcripts). Also of note: Male, ORM, California resident with no strong ties to other states.
Because I'm not currently pursuing a degree and I'm not enrolled in an official postbaccalaureate program, and because I don't have preexisting lab experience or a bachelor's degree in a scientific field, I'm having a very hard time finding any opportunities, even unpaid ones, for research experience. This has just been looking at posted opportunities, though, and I haven't started cold-emailing local PIs yet (I still live near my alma mater, but like I said, I was a Philosophy major and have no networking in its science departments).
I am wondering if anyone here could please help me brainstorm some ways to get into a lab where I can at least do bench work. I really don't think I have a meaningful chance at top 10 research schools anyway, so I don't need a publication, but looking at the MSAR statistics for even lower-tier schools I see 90+% of matriculants with research experience for most of them, so I'm really worried that not having at least something under my belt will hurt my chances even at a primary care-focused school.
Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

We understand that those who start this path after graduation will have different opportunities.
An application with a focus on commitment to service will not need research "tacked on" just for appearances.
A single strong MCAT will open doors.

Reactions: 2 users
We understand that those who start this path after graduation will have different opportunities.
An application with a focus on commitment to service will not need research "tacked on" just for appearances.
A single strong MCAT will open doors.
Thank you for your response, gyngyn. I feel much better about this and will put time I might have spent on research towards better clinical and community service ECs.

Reactions: 1 user