HPSP Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize I'm late in the game, I got accepted in May and am now trying to figure out how to pay for USC. I've been looking into the HPSP through the Air Force but was told I was too late for a 4 year scholarship, I can only apply for the 3 year one.

Do the same rules apply for the Army and Navy? At this point in time, can I only apply for a 3 year HPSP scholarship to any of the military branches or is a 4 year still possible?

Also does the AF do the $20,000 signing bonus? The paperwork I got from the Army and Navy said they have the bonus, but I had also heard you had to do 4 years to get it? Is this true?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I realize I'm late in the game, I got accepted in May and am now trying to figure out how to pay for USC. I've been looking into the HPSP through the Air Force but was told I was too late for a 4 year scholarship, I can only apply for the 3 year one.

Do the same rules apply for the Army and Navy? At this point in time, can I only apply for a 3 year HPSP scholarship to any of the military branches or is a 4 year still possible?

Also does the AF do the $20,000 signing bonus? The paperwork I got from the Army and Navy said they have the bonus, but I had also heard you had to do 4 years to get it? Is this true?

From what I've been hearing, most of the Army 4 years are gone. Try contacting the recruiting office in Culver City, CA and tell them you would like to apply. I don't know if the 3 year is worth it if you have to take out 100k in loans.

From what I've been hearing, most of the Army 4 years are gone. Try contacting the recruiting office in Culver City, CA and tell them you would like to apply. I don't know if the 3 year is worth it if you have to take out 100k in loans.

Appreciate the reply. I will look into that ASAP. I still think 100k is better than the projected 400k so I see it as worth while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate the reply. I will look into that ASAP. I still think 100k is better than the projected 400k so I see it as worth while.

Ya. Even if this year doesn't workout I would try for next year. Only 1/4th debt is not nearly as bad. Try to go for it now by asking a recruiter in your area and see what happens. I applied pretty late this cycle also, barely made the May board, but I think I might have gotten it.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks! Can I ask what branch of military you applied for?

Ya. Even if this year doesn't workout I would try for next year. Only 1/4th debt is not nearly as bad. Try to go for it now by asking a recruiter in your area and see what happens. I applied pretty late this cycle also, barely made the May board, but I think I might have gotten it.

Best of luck to you!

You can apply for the Navy and take a 4 year contract starting at their fiscal year (Oct. 1). You will just loose a few months of the stipend, but they will still pick up the massive tab, nevertheless.

You can contact Sergeant Kim - he covers USC.

Hyun J. Kim
SSG, US Army Health Care Recruiter
6th MRB, Culver City Station
400 Corporate Pointe, Suite 570
Culver City, CA 90230
Cell: 877-721-3209
Work: 310-216-4433
Fax: 310-216-2922
Email: [email protected]

Thanks! I will contact him ASAP. Does anyone have the Navy recruiter who covers USC or the LA area? The email in USC's financial aid information is out of date and so is UCLA's when I searched for it online...

You can contact Sergeant Kim - he covers USC.

Hyun J. Kim
SSG, US Army Health Care Recruiter
6th MRB, Culver City Station
400 Corporate Pointe, Suite 570
Culver City, CA 90230
Cell: 877-721-3209
Work: 310-216-4433
Fax: 310-216-2922
Email: [email protected]

Thanks! Can I ask what branch of military you applied for?

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, just been busy. I am still waiting for the final word, but I have been told that as soon as a little mistake is fixed I should be part of the Army.

Also, I saw your last post and thought I would inform you that the rumor that I heard is that the AF and Navy filled up first this year. Yet, I heard that last year the Army had more scholarships open then people to fill them. I was informed that the Navy and AF are already full FOR SURE. But this was in my area that I was told this by a few different recruiters.

Hope all works out for you!!

Thanks for the update. Once the mistake is fixed congrats on your acceptance into the Army. =) Best of luck.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, just been busy. I am still waiting for the final word, but I have been told that as soon as a little mistake is fixed I should be part of the Army.

Also, I saw your last post and thought I would inform you that the rumor that I heard is that the AF and Navy filled up first this year. Yet, I heard that last year the Army had more scholarships open then people to fill them. I was informed that the Navy and AF are already full FOR SURE. But this was in my area that I was told this by a few different recruiters.

Hope all works out for you!!

Thanks! I will contact him ASAP. Does anyone have the Navy recruiter who covers USC or the LA area? The email in USC's financial aid information is out of date and so is UCLA's when I searched for it online...

Medical/Dental Officer Recruiter for the LA area

800-252-1588 ext. 291
or local 323-298-6600 ext. 291

AF definitely does not offer the $20K bonus that Army offers.