hpsp - requesting a specific deployment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pauljeekim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello. i was wondering if it was possible to request a specific deployment location when signing up for the hpsp? i have heard that korea is considered a 'hardship' duty, and was hoping to be stationed there (for personal reasons - i am korean, to learn my culture, etc)... would it be possible to have that worked into my contract before signing on the dotted line?

thank you very much for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the only contract the government really cares about is your oath of office (you know, where you say you're willing to DIE for the opportunity to serve your country :p ). I'm not sure about the Army, but in the Navy you speak with your detailer when you get closer to graduation and you start making your wish list. If you make it known that you want to go to Korea, you should have no problem getting there (especially if you speak Korean).......that is, after you finish a GPR or AEGD....which i recommend!

There's no way they can put something like that into your HPSP contract. I wouldn't let that discourage you though. In fact, a request to go to Korea would probably be a detailer's dream.

Members don't see this ad :)
deployment is based on the needs of the service when you come onto active duty. it does depend on the branch, of course. im pretty sure there are only army bases in korea. definitely talk with your recruiter early and often, then later move onto letting your detailer know your desires.

Join the Army, they are always looking for dentists to volunteer to go to Korea. The Air Force, I believe, also has bases there. In fact, one dentist at WPAFB volunteered to go to Korea, and in return they let him get the post of his choice. He wanted to go to Colorado so he did a year in Korea in return for the Colorado post when he got back.

Korea is considered a combat zone, so you get tax free pay. If you are married you may not bring your spouse however.

i can't bring a spouse?

what if i request to be in korea for two years? then i am allowed to bring a spouse, correct?

or, regardless whether i'm there for one or two years, i am allowed to bring my spouse over at my own cost, right? and live off base?

thanks for the replies everyone. ^_^

interesting. my buddy who did Air Force HPSP reluctantly went to Korea, the agreement being that he would get the post of his choice afterwards. they lied to him and sent him to bumbleF&^*% USA when he got back. he was pissed, and thanks to him i changed my mind just before i was about to sign an HPSP scholarship.

In fact, one dentist at WPAFB volunteered to go to Korea, and in return they let him get the post of his choice. He wanted to go to Colorado so he did a year in Korea in return for the Colorado post when he got back.