HPSP Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone actually get denied the HPSP Scholarship? To me, it seems that everyone who applies either gets the scholarship or is put on the alternate list (except for the Air Force).

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone actually get denied the HPSP Scholarship? To me, it seems that everyone who applies either gets the scholarship or is put on the alternate list (except for the Air Force).

I had a friend who applied for the 4-year Air Force and flat out didn't get it. He had a 21 DAT and a ~3.7 GPA. So yes, people get denied. I know Navy and Army typically take more, so there's a "less" likely chance you'll get denied with those branches. However, it's my understanding that each branch still has a quota to meet and won't exceed it. The Air Force used to have 'matrix qualification' where anyone with a 19 DAT and 3.5 GPA (baring medical clearance) was accepted. They year I applied, they got rid of it and I had to apply like everyone else. Noting my friends stats and the fact that he got denied, the old 'matrix qualification' of 19 and 3.5 isn't guaranteed to be good enough anymore to go compete against others, at least for a 4-year Air Force.

Well, with podiatry there are only 2-3 slots, and so I bet someone gets denied. That being said, I hope it's not me....

Members don't see this ad :)
What sort of numbers are needed for the Army? For example I have a 3.2/ 22DAT.

Anyone apply this past cycle with similar numbers?

bump.

thanks!

It will depend on when you apply. Earlier in the cylce (around January) it is probably likely - later in the cycle (April - August) it may be less likely due to less remaining scholarships.

This confuses me a little bit do you mind helping me out?

I was planning on applying to dental school in mid June. I have been under the impression that I should contact the recruiter to start the paper work for HPSP after I apply or even as late as August as that is when they prefer to get students going - after their application has been submitted.

Have misunderstood what you're suggesting?

I was planning on contacting a recruiter in July to get the ball rolling as I'm currently working at getting my app in. Was this a poor plan? Have I made wrong assumptions?

Thanks for your help!

It will depend on when you apply. Earlier in the cylce (around January) it is probably likely - later in the cycle (April - August) it may be less likely due to less remaining scholarships.

Yeah... I wouldn't listen the krm's advice. If you don't start the process until January, you're outta luck. I stand by my statement that it is never too early to call/find a medical recruiter. It took me two and a half weeks of calling different recruiters and going into recruitment centers, of people telling me they'd get back to me before I found a recruiter that could actually help. Just finding your recruiter can be a nightmare, so if I were you, I'd call them and see what they say. It honestly is never too early to get on their radar. This will also show you are serious about the scholarship. Medical recruiters don't like to go through the whole process of putting your application to boards, then having it approved only to have you back out. Some recruiters make it a challenge for you just so they know you are committed.

Okay. So I will most likely start calling around then... if they dodge me too much I'll just stand outside their office in the rain lol. Show my dedication! :cool: j/k.

Yeah... I wouldn't listen the krm's advice. If you don't start the process until January, you're outta luck. I stand by my statement that it is never too early to call/find a medical recruiter. It took me two and a half weeks of calling different recruiters and going into recruitment centers, of people telling me they'd get back to me before I found a recruiter that could actually help. Just finding your recruiter can be a nightmare, so if I were you, I'd call them and see what they say. It honestly is never too early to get on their radar. This will also show you are serious about the scholarship. Medical recruiters don't like to go through the whole process of putting your application to boards, then having it approved only to have you back out. Some recruiters make it a challenge for you just so they know you are committed.

Okay. So I will most likely start calling around then... if they dodge me too much I'll just stand outside their office in the rain lol. Show my dedication! :cool: j/k.

Well, in order to enter the January board, you must submit your packet in December. In order to submit your packet in December, you should at least start the application process in August or so. KMower's statement is absolutely correct. You should contact the recruiter and start filling out the application and get the packet ready to be sent out in November, so you could submit it as soon as you get your acceptance in December. I wouldn't wait, because it could take months to get the packet ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what you are referring to MaxillofacialMN??? My advice was that the longer he waits - the tougher it is to get accepted once the board starts to meet. Stats needed to get the scholarship in January will not be as tough as later in the year. You need to begin the application process end of summer/early fall.

Not sure what you are referring to MaxillofacialMN??? My advice was that the longer he waits - the tougher it is to get accepted once the board starts to meet. Stats needed to get the scholarship in January will not be as tough as later in the year. You need to begin the application process end of summer/early fall.

Your reply said that he should apply in January.... To the uninformed (and even some informed) that would imply that he contact a recruiter in January "to apply." However, to get in the January boards, he'll need to have applied much earlier than January (December first I think?). So assuming the OP knows nothing about the process, had he followed your advice about "applying" in January, he would not have gotten boards until much later in the spring, and most likely would not have gotten an HPSP position.

That's all.

Krmower,

I think I understand where I was mistaken in my last post. You were telling me that I needed to get on the ball and get the application in prior to 2013 and hopefully a school acceptance ASAP so I can be one of the first people before the board. And that if I get accepted to dental school early to mid 2013 there will be less scholarships available and be more competitive.

I was confusing starting the application process with submitting it.

Thanks the replies!

Is it possible to apply for a specialty program if you're in the HPSP program or do you have to serve your four years and go back to school to pursue a specialty?

Yeah but can you still enroll in a specialty right after you graduate as a GP if you're in the HPSP?

Is it possible to apply for a specialty program if you're in the HPSP program or do you have to serve your four years and go back to school to pursue a specialty?
In the Army you can apply fall of your senior year. Selection are made that December. If selected you would begin 18 months later in July.

I am applying to dental school next year. Should I be looking for a recruiter at this point?

I am applying to dental school next year. Should I be looking for a recruiter at this point?

are you applying next year, like you say, or are you applying FOR next year, as in you're applying this cycle?

are you applying next year, like you say, or are you applying FOR next year, as in you're applying this cycle?

I am applying next year so I can enroll in dental school in 2014. How do I look for a recruiter? I seriously have no clue how it works. Do I need to go and see the recruiter and speak to him/her in person? I have looked up the website and the scholarship but I would like to know more about it.

thanks.

If you plan to enroll in fall 2014, you can wait about 10 months before you need to contact a recruiter. Go to the branch you want's website and look for an (important!) officer recruiting station. Call that station and tell them you would like to speak to a medical/dental recruiter. Walking in to any recruiting station will be a waste of your time, believe me. Use the search tool on the branch's website and it will direct you to the phone number of an officer recruiting station. But as I said, you can wait until about next march or April to contact them for the first time.

+1

There is no reason whatsoever to wait. At the very least, the recruiter will say "come back in X months". At the worst, they'll say "sorry, waited too long".

When I look for a recruiter online, Do I pick active duty or army reserve?

Also do I pick ROTC, chaplain, enlisted medical, or army law?

sorry I have no clue what these are.

I am on this page
http://www.goarmy.com/locate-a-recruiter.html

but i dont' know what to select next.

thanks.

On the website click locate a army recruiter, select medical, click active duty, and then zip code.

On the website click locate a army recruiter, select medical, click active duty, and then zip code.

what about area of interest?

thanks

also this won't be too early to call right? I don't want to sound like an idiot when I call and tell them that I will be applying next year to enroll in 2014

No, it shouldn't be. There are many things that need to be done by you and the quicker it can get done the more likely you will receive a scholarship.

I think June is a good time to start the application so you can possibly receive a scholarship in October when the new fiscal year starts.

No, it shouldn't be. There are many things that need to be done by you and the quicker it can get done the more likely you will receive a scholarship.

I think June is a good time to start the application so you can possibly receive a scholarship in October when the new fiscal year starts.

Again I don't want to be rude.

I am applying to dental school in 2013 for the 2014 cycle.

I can still call a recruiter NOW in 2012 and begin my application for the scholarship?

Thanks.

Okay, I am sorry I didn't catch that. Yeah if you are applying in the summer of 2013 then you should just wait until June 2013. This will be more than enough time to get everything collected and done before your package gets sent.

Again I don't want to be rude.

I am applying to dental school in 2013 for the 2014 cycle.

I can still call a recruiter NOW in 2012 and begin my application for the scholarship?

Thanks.

I think Hope is confused. You can call whenever you want, but you really don't need to call until march of next year. Everyone else is just saying "it's never too early", but nothing will really matter until march of next year. Promise.

I think Hope is confused. You can call whenever you want, but you really don't need to call until march of next year. Everyone else is just saying "it's never too early", but nothing will really matter until march of next year. Promise.

Ok I will start looking for one next year. THANKS GUYS!

Thanks for the info guys. Went to an Army recruiters and got the ball rolling - he said do 50 pushups to show I have the proper motivation lol. No joke.

It was kinda odd but I went ahead and busted out 60 and told him I was really motivated. I hope I get it:smuggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. Went to an Army recruiters and got the ball rolling - he said do 50 pushups to show I have the proper motivation lol. No joke.

It was kinda odd but I went ahead and busted out 60 and told him I was really motivated. I hope I get it:smuggrin:

Are u serious? wtf. I can only do like 30 max.:laugh:

The guy was a character. I imagine he was half joking but I thought "what the hell". I'm as excited about this HPSP thing as my dental application lol.

Are u serious? wtf. I can only do like 30 max.:laugh:

The guy was a character. I imagine he was half joking but I thought "what the hell". I'm as excited about this HPSP thing as my dental application lol.

Lol my recruiter made me take a test, but it was literally pointless...

Just wanted to throw this out there...

I'm new to this process but I learned that you must always take the initiative. Originally my recruiter told me to wait till I get some acceptances then we'll talk. I agreed with him; but, then I said something like "Sounds great, I'm really excited for this. Tell you what, once I start getting some interviews can I swing by just to make sure all my ducks in a row to proceed". Then he said "oh... well let me get you started with this paper work right now..." then he gave me a list of things to start getting ready lol.

Take the initiative!

Just wanted to throw this out there...

I'm new to this process but I learned that you must always take the initiative. Originally my recruiter told me to wait till I get some acceptances then we'll talk. I agreed with him; but, then I said something like "Sounds great, I'm really excited for this. Tell you what, once I start getting some interviews can I swing by just to make sure all my ducks in a row to proceed". Then he said "oh... well let me get you started with this paper work right now..." then he gave me a list of things to start getting ready lol.

Take the initiative!

No kidding. I think all medical recruiters are like this. Mine has an average response rate of three to five days on emails.... Lol