I am currently applying to optometry school to enter in the fall of 2008, and have been researching the possibility of taking a scholarship from either the Navy or the Air Force. I've talked to recruiters in each field and an OD in the Navy to try and get a feel for each. Problem is that I am getting some contradicting information that I was hoping someone would be able to clear up. If anyone on this post in currently, or has been in the past, a participant in the HPSP scholarships I could use some unbiased info. For instance:
1) do Naval optometrists go on ships?
2) Do Naval optometrists spend anytime as GMO's?
3) How does the standard of living in the Navy compare to that of the Air Force?
I've gotten answers to each of these questions from both the Air Force and the Navy, but each answer has been disputed by the other. Thanks alot for any advice.
HPSP is a great way to pay for school, if you want to be in the military. If you look at the HPSP as just a cool scholarship and don't have a good idea of what military service entails, then you won't be happy. Learn the phrase..."Needs of the Navy/Air Force." If you understand that phrase and how it applies to you, then you will be better off. Be flexible about where you may be stationed after completing school. If you have pressing family concerns and may need to me close to family, there is a very good chance that you may be stationed across the country or overseas making it difficult to come home.
As far as your questions go, here is my stab as an AF OD for just over 11 years + 3 yr HPSP.
1) There have been ODs that have deployed on aircraft carriers, I don't have specifics, but know that it has occurred. You will most likely be in a regular clinic before a carrier, but I am not sure on the specifics. The Navy has been using more US Comfort/Mercy deployments for extended humanitarian mission. I know a couple of AF ODs that did 90 day tours on the Comfort a couple of years ago. They loved the experience.
2) You will not have to serve as a GMO. The GMO role is that of a physician that has not had residency training yet. GMOs are very similar to Flight surgeons in their experience. Many GMO positions are for individuals that were not selected for a residency for one reason or other.
3) Navy and AF standard of living should be quite similar with the main exception of duty locations.
I have enjoyed the Air Force and my military service in general. There is BS that you must endure, but the positives have outwieghed any perceived negatives.
Good luck on the scholarship. From what I have heard, the AF is offering mainly 1 or 2 yr scholarships. Perhaps the Navy has more 3 or 4 yr offerings.
BK