HPSP vs. FAP (financial assistance progra)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOxidant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got to know about FAP. But, I don't really understand the benefits of it. It says that we need to serve 1 additional year to the years of getting benefits.

Those who are doing HPSP getting their medical tuitions paid by the branches of military. But, I believe those who are in FAP don't get any tuition reimbursement benefit. However, their active duty requirement is same w/ HPSP requirement. Could someone explain this?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got to know about FAP. But, I don't really understand the benefits of it. It says that we need to serve 1 additional year to the years of getting benefits.

Those who are doing HPSP getting their medical tuitions paid by the branches of military. But, I believe those who are in FAP don't get any tuition reimbursement benefit. However, their active duty requirement is same w/ HPSP requirement. Could someone explain this?

FAP recipients receive a generous stipend during residency that can be used to pay off school loans. Also, the FAP recipient has more control over their medical specialty because they complete their residency training prior to coming on active duty. A significant % of HPSP recipients are required to completed a GMO tour after their internship before they are permitted to compete their residency.

I agree with the above.

I'm a FAPer in my last year. It's doubtful I would have been able to go into pathology if I had done HPSP. Plus, making 120K a year during residency isn't such a bad thing; I've been able to knock out quite a few loans.