HPSP vs. reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAtoNJ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, im going to medical school this fall, and am really interested in serving in the millitary. i considered navy hpsp, but after speaking to the recruiter and reading these posts, it seems that residency placements really depend on the needs of the millitary, and i fear this may limit my residency choices.

Im now considering joining the navy reserves as an officer. As I understand it, the obligation is training one weekend per month, and two weeks training a year. At the same time, i can continue with medical school and enter a civillian residency of my choice. The only problem i forsee is being called up for active duty service while in medical school, but i understand this. Are there other issues I am overlooking? Is medical school so tough that I wouldnt have enough time to properly devote to the reserves and vice versa? should i wait till after medical school to join? millitary docs, reservists who are in medical school please opine.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Navy HPSP Jr. medical student. I think if you want to be a military doc, I think the best ways are 1) HPSP/USUHS or 2) Sign up at the start of residency (i.e. FAP).

W/ the reserves in med school you do run the risk of being called up. Also, you won't be a medical officer. The medical side of the military is it's own animal. Doctors don't go to basic, and don't go to formal OCS (officer candidate school=12 weeks), they go to OIS (5 week training).

The first 2 years of med school suck. You are studying ALL the time. While you might be able to fit in your one weekend a month, you will probably crave the down time.

Also, the Navy does have the final say of residency, but your (and my) worst case scenario is: I don't get my residency of choice. So I do a transitional year and then a GMO tour where I'm a primary care doc for 4 years either overseas, on a ship, or as a flight surgeon (hopefully my wife can go with me). Then I get done and find a residency. I might be able to find a spot where I don't have to repeat my intern year. Even if I don't find one, I'll be competing against a bunch of 4th year med students, when I've been a licensed primary care doc for 4 years! If you're a program director, which intern do you think will do a better job?

That's my worst case scenario. Obviously, best case scenario: I match like I want, do my residency, then practice.

That's just my opinion. Please, don't turn this thread into a "military sucks!" or a "military rocks" line of thinking.

I'm a reservist, but not currently in medical school, so I can't answer the main question... however, I did think of one thing to keep in mind. At least in the Air Force, entering an officer career field requires going to the training school for that career field, and most of those couldn't fit into the time between now and when you start med school in the fall. I don't know about the Navy.

Make sure you check out the training requirements for whichever career field you are considering... and if you do end up in the reserves and med school simultaneously, let me know how it turns out. ;) I'm debating that one myself, in the event I choose not to go HPSP/USUHS.

-Pemberley

BigNavyPedsGuy said:
I'm a Navy HPSP Jr. medical student. I think if you want to be a military doc, I think the best ways are 1) HPSP/USUHS or 2) Sign up at the start of residency (i.e. FAP).

W/ the reserves in med school you do run the risk of being called up. Also, you won't be a medical officer. The medical side of the military is it's own animal. Doctors don't go to basic, and don't go to formal OCS (officer candidate school=12 weeks), they go to OIS (5 week training).

The first 2 years of med school suck. You are studying ALL the time. While you might be able to fit in your one weekend a month, you will probably crave the down time.

Also, the Navy does have the final say of residency, but your (and my) worst case scenario is: I don't get my residency of choice. So I do a transitional year and then a GMO tour where I'm a primary care doc for 4 years either overseas, on a ship, or as a flight surgeon (hopefully my wife can go with me). Then I get done and find a residency. I might be able to find a spot where I don't have to repeat my intern year. Even if I don't find one, I'll be competing against a bunch of 4th year med students, when I've been a licensed primary care doc for 4 years! If you're a program director, which intern do you think will do a better job?

That's my worst case scenario. Obviously, best case scenario: I match like I want, do my residency, then practice.

That's just my opinion. Please, don't turn this thread into a "military sucks!" or a "military rocks" line of thinking.

I agree; FAP better idea than HPSP. Investigate your decision in depth.